New Metallica album thoughts

You to can now master the Metallica sound like a puppet.

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned

Post Reply

User avatar
ryjan
Dual Recto
Posts: 2273
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:38 pm
Location: Blistered Earth

Re: New Metallica album thoughts

Post by ryjan » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:18 pm

Love every song so far. Well worth the wait.
Most prominent IIC+ tone out of all their albums.
Mark V:25
Recto 2x12
ESP Explorer

sotosprince
Mark III
Posts: 379
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:29 am

Re: New Metallica album thoughts

Post by sotosprince » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:15 am

ryjan wrote:Love every song so far. Well worth the wait.
Most prominent IIC+ tone out of all their albums.
Totally agree with you man! I love the guitar tone!

DMR
Bottle Rocket
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:31 am

Re: New Metallica album thoughts

Post by DMR » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:15 pm

Their best record in over 25 years IMO. To my ears it knocks Justice out of the top 4. James' best guitar and vocal work in many years. The god-like riffage is back. Really nice harmony guitar parts. Rob is the most visible he's ever been. Lars just turned in his best performance since the 80's. Kirk's leads are the weak link IMO. He's gotten so derivative of himself, although he does have some tasty lead interludes on some songs.

After the Hardwired single dropped I was kind of expecting Death Magnetic 2. Very pleasantly surprised and super impressed.

User avatar
screamingdaisy
Donating Member
Posts: 4491
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:57 pm
Location: South of Heaven

Re: New Metallica album thoughts

Post by screamingdaisy » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:28 pm

Most Metallica sounding album Metallica's made in a long time. I still need to listen a few more times before I get my head fully wrapped around it, but I like what I hear.

Random piece of useless information: Hammett was using a Dime wah in one of the videos.

Some people will hate it because it's not MOP... but it's not 1986 anymore.
Ignore the hype and trust your ears. Play more, buy less = better tone.

|| McCarty | Les Paul | Custom 24 ||
|| Cantrell Wah | Rotovibe | Phase 90 | Grid Slammer ||
|| Triple Crown 50 | Recto 2x12/4x12 ||

|| Jazz Bass | Bass Strategy | PH410 ||

SamuelJ86
Mark III
Posts: 286
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:22 am
Location: MO

Re: New Metallica album thoughts

Post by SamuelJ86 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:11 am

I need to listen to it more but my first impressions are: I'm surprised. It's not what I expected. Some songs have a load/reload feel to them and others have a very new and refreshing Metallica sound to them. I am impressed so far. Spit out the bone is an early favorite. And I'm digging Hetfields tone. It's punchy and chewy and just freaking huge. I agree with DMR about Kirks solos..... so far. But tap the brakes on calling this better than justice 8) Gotta let this thing breathe
PRS 408
Les Paul Custom 08
Edwards Alexi
Mark V
JP2C

sotosprince
Mark III
Posts: 379
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:29 am

Re: New Metallica album thoughts

Post by sotosprince » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:36 am

IMO this album is a tribute to the bands they made em what they are today and of course a tribute to their past. The "lizzy - maiden" harmonies, the "Iommi style" riffs, even the style of drumming and solos is different if you ask me. Crystal clear production... Metallica never ceases to amaze me...

Wayno
Mark III
Posts: 308
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:50 pm
Location: Good ole England

Re: New Metallica album thoughts

Post by Wayno » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:32 am

screamingdaisy wrote: Some people will hate it because it's not MOP... but it's not 1986 anymore.
Most relevant quote regarding a new Metallica album ever!

I've been a massive Metallica fan since I was a child. And still love them today, some 25 years or more after being introduced to them by my older sister. Still remember the first time I heard songs like Damage Inc and Dyers Eve and being totally blown away. Kirk's descending then ascending outro to the solo in Dyers Eve still gives me goose bumps today!

To be honest I'm sick of the hate they get for doing their own thing, so Lars isn't the most technically gifted drummer ever, who gives a sh!t? He plays exactly what he believes the song requires. Kirk uses the Wah a lot, so, nobody bleats on about Van Halens use of the Phaser or Kurt Cobains use of Chorus or Tom Morellos Whammy.

The black album, load, reload etc are all great albums in their own right as far as I'm concerned. They're all true to the place the band was in at the time. Even St Anger, true the production and mixing is sh!t, but in the context of a band in turmoil as they where at the time you can't argue against its honesty.

If they'd just released MOP part 2,3,4,5 etc everyone would say they're stagnant. Can't win either way. Don't get me wrong, I love bands like Slayer, Megadeth, Pantera, Machine Head etc as well but if you've heard one album you've pretty much heard them all, Megadeth probably the only exception.

I like variety, and Metallica gives you that. Whilst still being heavy as well. Calling them sell outs is a load of crap. If doing what you want, when you want is selling out then sign me up as far I'm concerned. If every album had been a rip off of the black album that might have been a valid argument but load etc are a long way from being black album clones.

As for Hardwired, I'm liking it so far. Has the usual trend of some songs hitting you as great straight away and others being slow burners. Much the same as Battery and Master hit right away and Leper Messiah being a grower for me. Now Lepers one of my favourite songs to jam too. Nice guitar tone on this new album too, very crunchy and aggressive. Kirk's tone is nicer than Magnetic too which I found was a little scratchy in places.

Is it better than any of the other albums? That's a moot point as far as I'm concerned. They shouldn't be compared to each other, they all have their own place and I listen to which ever one my mood takes me too.

Definitely not time for them to throw in the towel yet.

Sorry about the rant, just had to get that off my chest.
Her highness the Veenus
(Mark V/V4 & V7 12AT7 Combo)

2 x 12 Vertical Cab
GSP-1101

Gibson LP Studio with alnico ii pro
Schecter C1-XXX with emg 81/85 18v
Jackson Dinky XL with Duncan designed???
Sigma DNC-1STE

Chiliphil1
Mark II
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:29 am

Re: New Metallica album thoughts

Post by Chiliphil1 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:25 pm

I'm listening to it right now, I've made it to disc 3.

I have to say that this album is fantastic. THIS is what I was hoping the last couple of albums would be. It can't be compared to the old stuff of course but it's closer than anything they have done in a while. The tone and production are excellent as well.

They really did a great job on this one.

DMR
Bottle Rocket
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:31 am

Re: New Metallica album thoughts

Post by DMR » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:21 pm

SamuelJ86 wrote: But tap the brakes on calling this better than justice 8) Gotta let this thing breathe
I know I spoke pretty early. But to this point I think the only song here I really "don't like" in Man Unkind. For myself, i have to be in just the right listening mood for Justice these days. While the songs on Hardwired are also long, to my ears they aren't nearly as tedious to get through as Justice. I can rarely listen to an entire song on that record anymore without skipping ahead to a certain part or the next song. To me personally, and speaking only for myself, this is a record that'll be easier to live with long term because of the grooves, riffs, and melodies.

MartinNyr
Bottle Rocket
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:08 pm
Location: Miami
Contact:

Re: New Metallica album thoughts

Post by MartinNyr » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:05 am

I love Mettalica, every song since the begining. The best one is Unforgiven ( best part is the second one) and of course nothing else matters and of course Whiskey in the Jar. I can't wait . I've seen video the first one is really good ( Confusion).

User avatar
Silverwulf
Donating Member
Posts: 1468
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:36 pm
Location: DC Metro Area

Re: New Metallica album thoughts

Post by Silverwulf » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:37 pm

DMR wrote:I know I spoke pretty early. But to this point I think the only song here I really "don't like" in Man Unkind. For myself, i have to be in just the right listening mood for Justice these days. While the songs on Hardwired are also long, to my ears they aren't nearly as tedious to get through as Justice. I can rarely listen to an entire song on that record anymore without skipping ahead to a certain part or the next song. To me personally, and speaking only for myself, this is a record that'll be easier to live with long term because of the grooves, riffs, and melodies.
"Justice" has lost some favor with me over the years as well. Ask 13 year old me, and he would have told you it was his favorite album...ever. What's funny is I used to idolize the tone on that album, though I hear it now and cringe a little. Great for what it was, but it's certainly a snapshot in time.

Now days, I prefer the mid-90s tones of "Load" and their live tone through that decade. Probably my favorite of theirs. Maybe I'm just getting old... :lol:
Boogie user of 20+ years, previous owner of 150+ Rectos, author of the previous "2 Channel Recto User Guide" and current "3 Channel Recto User Guide" (if I ever stop being lazy and finish it)...

sotosprince
Mark III
Posts: 379
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:29 am

Re: New Metallica album thoughts

Post by sotosprince » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:32 pm

Silverwulf wrote:
DMR wrote:I know I spoke pretty early. But to this point I think the only song here I really "don't like" in Man Unkind. For myself, i have to be in just the right listening mood for Justice these days. While the songs on Hardwired are also long, to my ears they aren't nearly as tedious to get through as Justice. I can rarely listen to an entire song on that record anymore without skipping ahead to a certain part or the next song. To me personally, and speaking only for myself, this is a record that'll be easier to live with long term because of the grooves, riffs, and melodies.
"Justice" has lost some favor with me over the years as well. Ask 13 year old me, and he would have told you it was his favorite album...ever. What's funny is I used to idolize the tone on that album, though I hear it now and cringe a little. Great for what it was, but it's certainly a snapshot in time.

Now days, I prefer the mid-90s tones of "Load" and their live tone through that decade. Probably my favorite of theirs. Maybe I'm just getting old... :lol:
I hear you man! I really dig their mid 90s tone a lot! But then again, I like the rawness of St Anger! How am I kiddin, I am a metallica freak!

f52292
Bottle Rocket
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:21 am
Contact:

Re: New Metallica album thoughts

Post by f52292 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:46 am

I hear you man! I really dig their mid 90s tone a lot! But then again, I like the rawness of St Anger! How am I kiddin, I am a metallica freak!
Hahaha

I love St Anger sooooo much!!!! :shock: :oops:



___________
f52292

Post Reply