The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Metallica speakers
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:11 pm 
Donating Member

There's lots of misinformation out there. The older albums were G12T-75 loaded Marshall cabs, both on RTL and MoP. By TBA, they were using Marshall 1960BV and mostly with V30s (some older Boogie scattered in) then that transitioned over to Mesa V30 and by the time Load came.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:53 am 
Bottle Rocket

Silverwulf wrote:
There's lots of misinformation out there. The older albums were G12T-75 loaded Marshall cabs, both on RTL and MoP. By TBA, they were using Marshall 1960BV and mostly with V30s (some older Boogie scattered in) then that transitioned over to Mesa V30 and by the time Load came.

I f you don't know, don't speak lol :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:04 am 
Donating Member

dafxtone wrote:
Silverwulf wrote:

I do know, so I did speak. Carry on... 8)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:36 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Cool !!!

So tell us how do you know they've played on a G12T75 on RTL/MOP ? Any reliable source ?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:50 pm 
Road King

dafxtone wrote:
Silverwulf wrote:

If you know, then please inform us...But your credibility here is null, with 4 posts and all, and aren't showing much respect to someone who's been on this board for many years and has provided countless information and help to others.

Mesa Standard 4x12
1980's EV Thiele
Sold:
'92 Dual Recto Rev. C
'92 Dual Recto Rev. E
'05 Dual Recto 3ch
'84 Mark IIC+ DR
http://www.TheBoogieArchives.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:00 am 
Bottle Rocket

How do you know they've played on a G12T75 on RTL/MOP ? Any reliable source ?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:31 am 
Bottle Rocket

No answer means no reliable source, means i'm just right. Nobody know in really what's speaker was used exactly, that's all.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:28 am 
Donating Member

"No answer here" means some of us have better things to do with our time than to entertain internet trolls. Choose to believe it or not, it's your choice, and quite frankly no one cares if you do. This was straight from a chat session with Flemming, who I talked with before the infamous notes from those sessions were made public. When the notes came out, it further backed Flemming's recollection in his own notes.

If you have a better source, post away, though at this stage of the game 30 years later, I think word from the horses mouth and personal notes backing that recollection is about as accurate of info as anyone will ever get.

In the meantime, I'll go back to my troll free existence and pop in on occasion. Carry on... 8)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:46 am 
Dual Recto

Don't feed the trolls. Just add them to your ignore list. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:58 am 
Bottle Rocket

Here is my source, Rasmussen himself :

"Flemming Rasmussen: Well we first discussed it together about what they wanted to sound like in and how to go about achieving it, but I have to say there were a lot of guitar amp issues at first. On the first album we did together, Ride The Lightning we had a problem with James' amp. It was stolen a week before they entered the studio to start tracking. They were on tour when it happened. Now somebody in San Francisco had modified the amp but nobody knew what he had done. So what we did was we got all of the people we knew that played metal music and had good Marshall amps and cabs, we got them to come to the studio with their amps and cabs and we simply tried them until we found one that we thought sounded good. Once we found it, we started looking at mics."

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/interviews/flemming_rasmussen_metallica_wanted_the_albums_to_sound_as_loud_as_possible.html

I would add also this from Michael Doyle Marshall books :

https://books.google.fr/books?id=E90tMBs9_FEC&pg=PA90&lpg=PA90&dq=marshall+cabinet+celestion+history&source=bl&ots=ng3k-21iaJ&sig=5UwQq08fBLPRvj5z73ctLMjVdCA&hl=fr&sa=X&ved=0CCEQ6AEwAGoVChMI9rWDw-vJyAIVi1YaCh2yvgE2#v=onepage&q&f=false

you could see that, between 82 and 85 you can get for a 4x12 1960A/B cabs only two speakers :

79-83 : G65M (Almost 40 variations of these was produced, it was a major step for Celestion in term of power handling, climbing from 25 watts to 65 watts !)

83-86 : G70M (next version of the G65, same magnet and rare)

It's only until 86 The GT75 was pushed in Marshall cab.

So who's the troll now ? Carry on...

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:24 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Since this thread has been going on, I didn't want dafxtone's misinformation above to be the last word in this thread.

The G12T-75 was first used in the 1960 cab in 1984.

Look at Serial # 5660 in either of these links:

http://www.marstran.com/cabdata/cabdata.html
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... EmBddY/pub

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:27 am 
Donating Member

I don't check here often, hard to believe this discussion is still going on... :lol:

Flemming's notes themselves point to 300W Marshall cabs on MoP, and he's listed the serial numbers of those cabs. G12T-75 cabs with serial numbers below and above those cabs can be spotted frequently, which all points to - yes - G12T-75's being used on MoP.

And yes, G12T cabs started appearing on late '83 and '84. I used to have an '83 dated G12T-75 cab, which were 15 ohm vented speakers.

Folks can choose to believe what they wish. You can either spend your free time digging up obscure quotes trying to find something you'll never prove, or you can make an educated assumption based on the only facts we have available. I'll tend to defer to the man who produced the album and buy into his accurate notes that were taken at the time of the recording more so than someone thinking back and trying to speculate 30+ years later. Carry on... 8)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:31 pm 
Mark II

IMO they certainly "sound" like t75 cabs on the old albums.
If I were wanting to copy their 80's tones that's exactly what I'd use.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:06 pm 
Bottle Rocket

"I'll tend to defer to the man who produced the album and buy into his accurate notes that were taken at the time of the recording more so than someone thinking back and trying to speculate 30+ years later"

From Flemming himself :

Quote:
Master is done with Boogie amps and cabs

Carry on... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:52 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Quote:
I didn't want dafxtone's misinformation above to be the last word in this thread.

The G12T-75 was first used in the 1960 cab in 1984.

Look at Serial # 5660 in either of these links:

http://www.marstran.com/cabdata/cabdata.html
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... EmBddY/pub

Do you think Marshall order Celestion speaker one by one ? They make huge batch command to Celestion, so these GT75 could have be made in the end of 84 send to marshall, assembled in a 1960 cabinet and sold on the market in 1985. Check the Marshall History book (a serious source, not a one hundred handmade list on the internet...) and check the catalogue release date for the first GT75 : 1985 !