Metallica speakers

You to can now master the Metallica sound like a puppet.

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned

dafxtone
Bottle Rocket

Re: Metallica speakers

Post by dafxtone » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:35 pm

@silverwulf : OK i understand the story and i agree with you. MOP was made on G12-T75. Nice to be sure now.

Cheers.

Silverwulf
Donating Member

Post by Silverwulf » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:43 pm

dafxtone wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:35 pm
@silverwulf : OK i understand the story and i agree with you. MOP was made on G12-T75. Nice to be sure now.

Cheers.
This thread was helpful, and a few of the pics you posted actually helped connect a few dots for me!

I never had doubts that MoP was 75s, but the serial timeline itself never sat well with me. I knew that different series ran on different serial number sequences, but I never once considered that A and B cabs within the same series had their own serial number line as well (I'd always just purchased B cabs). That tied it all together, and now the timeline makes perfect sense. Cheers man!
Boogie user of 20+ years, previous owner of 150+ Rectos, author of the previous "2 Channel Recto User Guide" and current "3 Channel Recto User Guide" (if I ever stop being lazy and finish it)...

dafxtone
Bottle Rocket

Post by dafxtone » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:49 pm

:P

boogieordie
Bottle Rocket

Post by boogieordie » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:15 am

Another example of Flemming being forgetful is that he has stated the mic placement for MoP was center cone on axis. In both RTL and MoP pics they're not! In the MoP pic, you can see the bottom corner of the mic and a reflection of the tip pointed at roughly a 30 degree angle toward the outside of the cab slightly downward. It's pointed so that the top of the mic's diameter is just clipping the bottom right edge of the dust cap, but mostly at the cone. The RTL pic shows the mic at about 45 degrees, again pointed slightly downward and again top of the mic is at the bottom corner of the dust cap with the meat of it pointed at the cone.

Flemming did state that he was in the control room while his assistant was placing the mics. It's interesting that the same mic technique was used on both albums. I verified that center cone on axis sounds like complete crap, very ice picky and muddy. The aforementioned mic placement comes much closer to the album tone giving attenuated highs and a darker tone without the mud. It helps it to sound more like the amp actually sounds live.