Tell me about James Hetfield's use of the Triple Rectifier

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cardinal

Reaction score
I've used Google without much success, so I figure I'll come to the experts.

Here's what little I know:
- Seems like Load/Reload were recorded with a number of amps, including a Triple Recto
- I've seem pics of his live rigs, and his big concert rigs never seem to have a Recto in them. But I've seen pics/vids of more one-off performances, and he's just using one of his guitars plugged into a 2-channel Triple and one of his 4x12 cabs.
- More often than not, the pictures are of a blackface/chrome chassis 2 channel with a large Mesa logo, but I've seen some where it's your typical polished-face/black chassis 2-channel
- I've read something about his "practice rig" including a Triple Recto?

So, I'm just generally curious about any other info. Rev G or F, why he didnt use one in his huge live rack rigs, when he started using the VH4 instead, etc. Pics are always great!

According to what I've read he used the Recto on Load/Reload blended with other amps. You can really make out the Recto sound on Load.
He used to use the Blackface Triple Recto for rehearsal in their tuning room jams before a show but for the last couple years he's been using the VH4.
In this documentary they did on The Black Album him and Kirk both jammed on 2 channel Rectos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJvP8McfiwQ

From what I've read over the years James hasn't used an actual Recto on a studio album that I'm aware of. If I remember correctly Load/Reload was primarily a Mark IV and Triaxis. I believe the distinct shift in tone came from switching from Marshall 4x12s to Recto 4x12s.

So far as I know he's used the Triple Recto for practice and one off shows where the stage rig is the actual rig. I've also seen footage where he's used Tremoverb combos for practices, and I've seen the new Multi-Watts sitting on his stage rig in some footage that appears to have been shot at Metallica HQ. I have no idea if he's using the Multi-Watts regularly or if he was just testing them out, but most recent practice footage I've seen shows a Diezel.

I can't find the video but one exists someplace where James is being interviewed during the Garage Inc recording. He's asked what's different about his equipment used for this album and he said they are using their live rigs to record so he had to ditch the IIC+ and Rectifiers they used for the previous album.
Maybe they used LD1 Red on the Triaxis? :lol:

No idea. I did a bunch of research last year after finally buying Load and remember being surprised that James didn't use a Recto on it. I know he used the live rig on Load/Reload, so the Triaxis would've given access to the IIC+ and Recto modes, but everything I read said no actual Recto.

Completely off topic but I know my Triple Rec in stereo with my Mark V in Mark IV mode nails Herfields tone way more than the Mark V alone.

SonVolt said:
Completely off topic but I know my Triple Rec in stereo with my Mark V in Mark IV mode nails Herfields tone way more than the Mark V alone.
I bet. 8)
My Roadster on channel 3 vintage mode nails the Load/Reload tone almost perfectly.
If you want Hetfield's current live tone with the modded Triaxis and VH4 get a Splawn Nitro. It's absolutely spot on.

ryjan said:
My Roadster on channel 3 vintage mode nails the Load/Reload tone almost perfectly.

+1.

I've always found it odd that I could get Metallica's sound out of a Recto easier than I could a Mark... including albums that I know for sure they didn't use a Recto on (ie, the Black album).

My theory is that every time Mesa puts out a new high gain amp they listen to the last Metallica album and use that as a reference when dialling in the new amps tone... Lol.

Stop the presses. I just picked a Mark IV combo today on an impulse buy at a local Fender shop. Had that amp on my mind lately and BAM there's one sitting on the floor in remarkably good condition. Anyway, it's definitley more Hetfield in a box through my recto 4x12's than is my Mark V. It's a lot rawer, more searing, more cutting. I'm surprised how much more compressed the V is than the IV. I'm shocked.

The V isn't going anywhere though. Channels 1 & 2 on the IV are meh.

Tomorrow I'm going to run the IV and V together in stereo and see how that compares to the Triple & V.

screamingdaisy said:
I've always found it odd that I could get Metallica's sound out of a Recto easier than I could a Mark...

It may be because a Recto is so wide/huge sounding that it better mimics the layering of the Marks in the studio.

Cool. Thanks guys. I thought it was interesting to see him use a Triple Rec for these smaller shows rather than a Mark IV or Triaxis. Now he seems to be using the VH4, like when they did the national anthem at AT&T Park earlier this year I think.

Here's everything you need to know or could possibly ever know about their gear. The site has been revamped and it appears he removed the info you need. Just msg him. He's got the right info

http://montyjay.net/author/montyjay/

screamingdaisy said:
ryjan said:

+1.

I've always found it odd that I could get Metallica's sound out of a Recto easier than I could a Mark... including albums that I know for sure they didn't use a Recto on (ie, the Black album).

My theory is that every time Mesa puts out a new high gain amp they listen to the last Metallica album and use that as a reference when dialling in the new amps tone... Lol.
And their current sound I can dial in on Vintage and the old MOP and AJFA tones I dial in on Modern. :lol:

I did read somewhere that the Black Album was one of the inspirations for the Dual Rectifier. Not sure if there is any truth to that but I'd certainly say it's plausible.

Can someone share the Rectifier settings of k. Hammett (from pics ?). Thanks. 8)

ZAK said:
Can someone share the Rectifier settings of k. Hammett (from pics ?). Thanks. 8)
If you zoom it in you can see his settings. Nothing crazy. Everything close to noon.
http://mesaboogie.com/news/2011/11/metallica-live-rigs/

No offense but I've never understood why someone would ask about Kirk Hammet's tone. He plays zero of the rhythm tracks that Metallica is known for... he only plays the leads. His lead tone is easy peazy. Lots of gain and reverb and wah.

ok thanks. it's very difficult to see settings on recto but these old (?) knobs are readable ! :D

SonVolt said:
No offense but I've never understood why someone would ask about Kirk Hammet's tone. He plays zero of the rhythm tracks that Metallica is known for... he only plays the leads. His lead tone is easy peazy. Lots of gain and reverb and wah.

Kirk hammet plays rythms since Some kind of monster (2003) in studio and always live.
I just collect settings of my favorite bands with recto (Korn, Metallica, Petrucci, Living Colour).

For kirk vintage = lead, Modern = rythms.

SonVolt said:
No offense but you are wrong on all counts here.
His Recto settings requested are for his LIVE rig. He doubles what James plays live and his rhythm tone is absolutely crushing if you've ever seen them.
For his lead tone he blends in his Triaxis and contrary to what people like to repeat, he uses very little gain and has a chewy, smooth lead tone with lots of mid range.

Latest posts

Back