Jaymz and neck pickup

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackie

Reaction score
I watched the making of Death Magnetic DVD a while ago and I see Het using the neck pickup quite a few times.

Now I don't know about you but to me the only song I can think of that sounds completely neck pickup and is neck pickup is Memory Remains.

So my question is how often does Het use the neck PU for drive tones? Does he do that in the studio to add something to the mix or does he do it live too?

All of his cleans are on the neck PU. He does the middle solo part to Suicide and Redemption on the neck also.

It's a DvD called Making Magnetic, although the full thing can be found on Youtube.

Due to their position in the body of the guitar, neck pickups tend to always be rounder, fatter, and warmer/bassier. This makes them suitable for warm sounding solos and for warm clean tones. Rarely are they used for heavy rhythm because they sound muddy that way.

Yeah that's also my thinking and experience. I also use the neck PU for cleans and sometimes leads.

Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cJATEcaqWM
3:05 the bridge before the "Say is that rain or are they tears" part of Cyanide was recorded on the neck PU of his Iron Cross and it's kind of weird since it doesn't sound like that.
Also at the very beginning of the vid you can see him rehearsing on the neck PU :?

Or he could just be using it as a killswitch.
Wait... what am I blabbering his upper toggles aren't active. :lol:

Latest posts

Back