Damage Inc. (Tribute to Metallica) Rig!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myownself26

Reaction score
Hello ALL! Newer to the board!

Thought I'd post my rig in the right spot....hopefully! :mrgreen:

I'm one of two guitarists in a Metallica Tribute from the Midwest, Damage Inc.

I've done some extensive research on James and Kirks past and present rigs. I've used those references as a template for my rig.
I'm still tweaking some things, yet I'm beginning to become more and more satisfied with the tone.

I've tried to achieve a tone somewhere between Puppets, Black, and Load albums...

I basically have 2 independent rigs blended together. If requested I may go into an in depth setup diagram with some better pics.
These pics are pre cable management and certain things have changed a bit. The settings are also not completely accurate.

I'm always looking for suggestions or willing to lend a hand in any info I can give!

Mark V is Rig B: I have an Line 6 X3 Live in the Loop running a simulated JC-120 for clean and a Parametric EQ for Crunch

Rig A: Top to Bottom:
Furman PL-PLUS C power conditioner
Dunlop DCR-2SR custom shop Crybaby with 1 remote Wah pedal
DBX 1074 Quad Gate Pro (Ch1 Mark V, Ch2 Triaxis, Ch3 Marshall, Ch4 ADA)
Aphex 109 Parametric EQ (Loop of Triaxis for Crunch)
Mesa Triaxis (Recto Board/Non Phat Mod) (Mark V channel switching is done by Triaxis Switch jacks)
Marshall JMP-1 (Used for Lead tone/Harmony parts)
ADA MP-1 (Used for Lead and occasional clean)
TC Electronics G-Major (Used with the above Preamps)
Blank Plate with pass thru for input cables
GCX Switching system
2 space Drawer housing pedals

Furman M-8lx Power Conditioner
2X Audio Technica Pro Wireless units (Whirlwind A/B switcher to switch transmitter packs)
Mesa 2:90 Power Amp

2 space rack:
Voodoo Labs Pedal Power Plus
Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor
Ibanez Tube Screamer (Modded) ----> Boss Ds1 Distortion ----> Boss GE-7 EQ (Modded) (I switch between the Tube/DS1)
Boss CH1 Super Chorus (Modded)
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble ----> MXR Phase 90 (Modded)

Voodoo Labs Ground control Pro (Loop 3 is the Boss CE-5/Phase 90 combo)

Pedal Board Left:
Morley Quad Box (Only using 1 output, Using two inputs: 1 (Wireless A/B) 2 (Wired)
Digitech Whammy (Used for Load/Reload tracks)

Pedal Board Right: (Note) The Power brick at the top of my board was lifted off an Furman pedal board and mounted to this 32" long CNB pedal board

Ernie Ball Volume Pedal
Dunlop Crybaby remote wah from Rack A
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Korg Tuner

Rig B Pedal Case (Midi Controlled) In Loop of Mark V
This Pedal Board is in a soft case used with Rig B (Also used for rehearsal) Rig A used for Live only.

Furman Power Strip
Line 6 X3 Live
Rocktron Hush the Pedal (used rarely)
Dunlop KH-95 Wah (Used for rehearsal only)

Whirlwind A/B selector for wireless toggling.

I'll answer in order. :lol:

1. Sound clip will come in due time. I'll have to get off my arse and record some clips. :roll:

2. We've played in IL a few times. We are from Wisconsin, we play around the state and MN.

3. I use the Whammy for The Memory Remains mainly, also the guitar solo in Cyanide to name a couple off the top of my head.

Nice shniz man! My band is Whiplash out of Denver and we are another aspiring Metallica tribute band (until we get some origionals written). I play all the Jaymz parts with my Mark IV and G-Force right now but I'm hoping to get another Triaxis/2:90 rig in the future for some stereo devistation.

I'm running 2 Marshall 1960 4X12's. One for each rig.

(above comment) about the Heavy.
If you meant Heavy as in Crunch....YES!! :mrgreen:
If you meant Heavy as in the **** weighs a ton....YES!

I over did it for sure! I only run this rig in a bigger venue (more roomier stage) otherwise I only use my B rig (Mark V/X3)
Its way too much to lug around for a tribute act. In most cases I try to keep it simple....it sure as hell isn't gonna carry itself!!! :lol:

ryjan, Hows the Mark IV treating you with the Jaymz tone? I'm using the Mark IV mode on my V. It sounds great! With rig A, I use the Triaxis IIC+ with the Aphex EQ in the loop. Together it's pretty out of hand! Kinds reminds me of a modern Puppets meets black tone.
good times! 8)

The IV is rediculously versitile. I can go from MOP to Justice and to the Black Album with just a minor eq tweak. I want to eventually run a stereo rig and was thinking of either a single recto or an ADA MP-1 to compliment the Mark IV.

myownself26 - Whats kind of mod do you have done to your TS9 Tube Screamer?

A good friend/Co-worker of mine, modded my pedals for me. He used to work in Madison, WI at Smart Studios back in the late 80's early 90's with Butch Vig. He's modded pedals for Garbage, Billy Corgan, Kurt Cobain and Zakk Wylde.

I believe these were the Mods he did for me:

Ibanez TS9:
Brown Mod: TS9 to Ibanez TS808 output to increase volume, gain & output
Hi-Fi Tone Mod: Brightens the Mids I believe. You upgrade two of the caps to the same value.
Ultrabright LED mod: a blinding Bright Green LED :lol:

Boss GE-7 EQ:
This one is the well known "Sniper Mod".
Mod increased the Bass frequencies as well as deepened the Bass frequencies.
Cleaned up the mids
Lowered the noise level dramatically.

MXR Phase 90:
Increased the speed of the effect
Reduced the Mid-range frequencies for a mellower effect. It actually sounds alot like a vintage Phase 90 script. "Script Mod"?

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus:
Increased depth and speed of the Chorus
Cut down on the noise

Sick rig man.

Just an FYI. I put my JC-120H head away as my neighbors would kill me as it is way to loud. BUT I found if I use a Superchorus depth all the way and rate at like 1o'clock PLUS a Boss PS-5; I get very very close to his clean tone which I am of course obsessed with (ESPECIALLY with the ESp Iron Cross due to the SS frets.....you get the best clean chime....so good I want to have my MXII-CTM's refretted with SS frets. I am a simpleton and hate lugging large racks or even small ones as I did at one time. I just every week bring the Mark V, Tuner in to the tuner jack, G30 wireless, Boss super chorus and PS-5 and one of my ESP MXII-Custom ordered old style explorers (Tuned to D standard and then also fiddle between songs to drop C and Open C for the songs I wrote) When we pla live I bring both MXII-CTM's as I ordered two with the same specs (one black one white) Cheers man!

NICE! thanks for the tip!
What are your settings on the PS5? I used to own one briefly, never really had much use for it. Any pitch effects I use come from either my Whammy or G-major. I'd be interested in hearing what that sounds like.

what a bunch of fanboy rig dorks we are... :lol:

myownself26 said:
NICE! thanks for the tip!
What are your settings on the PS5? I used to own one briefly, never really had much use for it. Any pitch effects I use come from either my Whammy or G-major. I'd be interested in hearing what that sounds like.

what a bunch of fanboy rig dorks we are... :lol:
LOL I know.

I use the Detune setting, not the pitchshifting or whammy setting and I don't have it handy but simply to set the knobs that function in that mode to add a more luiquidy warbly effect to the bosss super chorus like how Jaymz' chorus effect you can clearly tell is not just the JC-120 but like (I think you posted the pic) of other pedals or G-Major added into the clean mix (aside from the Triaxis on clean)

So after months of waiting, here's a few you tube vidz of the 'ol rig. Keep in mind, I forgot to mention a few things.

1. Within the sliding shelf along with Whirlwind selector, Morley Quad Box and the Boss NS2 is a Voodoo Lab amp selector. This is how I achieve the dual amp ability. Out of the 4 amp outputs... 1) Mark V, 2) Marshall JMP-1, 3) JC120, 4) Not used at the moment.

2) on the 3rd video, while demonstrating a few tones, playing the video back I realized I had the JMP-1/2:90 on standby, oops! It was early in the morning, I can't believe I didn't notice, oh well, next time. :oops:

Enjoy!

Part 1
http://youtu.be/4HSvP1wCKC0

part 2
http://youtu.be/lJOGVfWuOyw

part 3
http://youtu.be/pBekBzWsERk

Groovy man! Nailed all the tones. Why the Mark V instead of a Triaxis? If you want the Hetfield tone in one amp try a Splawn Nitro.

For whatever reason I couldn't get the tone I was looking for out of the Triaxis. I actually had the Mark V and Triaxis running at the same time, and again, couldn't get them to blend well. However, when I blended them for clean or Lead, it was out of control, loved it!
Next week, it could go back, who knows, lol! I seem to keep the Mark V, but always revolve between the Triaxis, JMP-1 and the Randall RM100kh. They all have their own flavors, ya know? Maybe it's a mood thing.

I find the Randall good for that old hot rodded marshall sound. Great for the kill 'em all tone. 8)

Latest posts

Back