Hetfield Clean Chorus tone.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean106alcon

Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry if this has been discussed already and not related to boogie (although I have a Mark V :) ).

So I know basically his clean tone live which I love is made up of the JC-120H Head and a blend in with a triaxis setting. I just got a JC-120H head and running it stero with two Diezel 4x12's. Now the chorus on manual sounds great and all....but not the same or really even close to Het's live clean. His sound is more deeper and warbly of a chorus effect if that makes any sense. Does any one know what I can do to add to the chorus effect? Perhaps a touch of flange or another chorus pedal in the Loop of the jC-120? Compression maybe? Maybe he also adds effects using his G-Major in his rack?

I just can't believe that the JC-120H and the triaxis is all that is used as his chorus effect, like I said is more warlby and liquidy, compared to the stock analogue chorus. I don't believe it could be the triaxis as it obviously has not any effects, just a preamp as it is. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

i got close using the pitch detune effect on my g major 2. but god knows what else he is using in that overkill rig of his

Spewnz said:
i got close using the pitch detune effect on my g major 2. but god knows what else he is using in that overkill rig of his
yeah I knew there was other things in the clean tone for that more chorusy effect. Can you email or post that picture? My email is sean3 at seanydiesel.com Thanks man.

Offtopic:

You have some really nice gear sean106alcon! I would love to see a photo of it!

:D

Thanks man!

Here is a quicky!

DSC_0024.JPG

Thanks man. The Iron Cross by far sounds and plays the easiest with the woods they picked and the SS frets. The custom ordered explorers are the next runner(s) up. The Mark V just sounds sick with them all. Kudos Boogie!!

Sean,

James also used a Boss CH-1 in the mix.

He uses the Roland JC-120, Triaxis, Diezel VH-4, and Boss CH-1 for cleans. (This is his live clean sound)

I have owned 2 Roland JC-120's (one loaded w/ V30's), a JC-77, and a JC-55.

The best Hetfield Clean sound I EVER got (In my opinion), was w/ a stock JC-77 w/ a 1977 MXR Dyna Comp Compressor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VTkrrEKQU4

Michael

mreeve25 said:
Sean,

James also used a Boss CH-1 in the mix.

He uses the Roland JC-120, Triaxis, Diezel VH-4, and Boss CH-1 for cleans. (This is his live clean sound)

I have owned 2 Roland JC-120's (one loaded w/ V30's), a JC-77, and a JC-55.

The best Hetfield Clean sound I EVER got (In my opinion), was w/ a stock JC-77 w/ a 1977 MXR Dyna Comp Compressor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VTkrrEKQU4

Michael
Yeah i figured he had an extra chorus pedal in that mix. I knew about the one TA combined with the JC-120H.

Right now I am almost dead on. I now run a POD XT pro I had laying around into the JC-120H head. So now I have some extra chorus, EQ and and some compression and it sounds really close. I will make a vid soon.

I thought the VH4 was just combined with the TZ where for dirties only? I sold my twp VH4's as I am much happier with my Mark V, with it's tone and also portability to rehearsal and gigs. The Vh4 was great and all but waaaay toooooo heavy and cumbersome. The Mark V sounds sick. Thanks guys.

ryjan said:
That Iron Cross is baddass! Not a shabby way to spend $10k.
Not even close. My man Angelo Gallo gave it to me for 6K. Still a lot, but not compared to the tools who got suckered for 10K. Best Sounding and playing guitar I ever had with those woods and SS frets. I wish my custom shop MXII-CTM's I had built in 08 were just as good. But they come close. Blows away the custom shop Viper and Eclipse I once had. Go figure.

Hello Friends,
New to the board!

Just stumbled on this page and thought I'd add my 2 cents.

I'm in a Metallica tribute from the mid-west called "Damage Inc." (Yes, there are several throughout the country with this name :roll: )

This is how I understand James clean tone is captured.
I use a similar setup and it sounds great! Very bright and chime like!

James:
As most of you know James blends his tones:
Crunch = Triaxis #2, Lead 2 Yellow with a "Phase Inverted IIc+" Mod. and a custom Mesa graphic EQ in the loop (Slaved from a Mesa studio Pre-amp)
along with a Diezel VH4 on channel 3 or 4 depending on the song.

and for the Clean:
Roland JC-120H with a Electro Harmonix Bass Micro Synth and an MXR Phase 100 in it's loop. (MXR is used for songs like "Bleeding Me", Could be in the chain with Triaxis?)
along with his Triaxis #1, Rhythm Green with TC G-Major and a Boss CH-1 in the chain.

3814993673_a2782dafb1.jpg

I think that Warble sound he gets in the clean tone is produced from the EH Bass Micro Synth. This maybe the secret weapon, if you will? This is on my list of pieces of gear to add to my rig. If anyone tries this, please let me know how it goes. I've dug up a picture of his settings on this unit.

HetfieldRack.jpg

This setup may or may not be 100% fact. In my many hours of Metallica tone research, this is what I've put together from the information I've gathered.

As I stated earlier, I have a similar setup.
I'll share my clean settings...

This is based off using a Gibson Les Paul Studio with EMG Pickups
81 in Neck and 85 in Bridge. This is the case in most of my guitars. Some have 60 in the Bridge. The 60 has a little more Bass response than the 85.

(Left Side)
Mesa/Boogie Mark V (with Marshall 1960A Cab)
Channel 1
Fat mode
EQ Off
90 Watts
Bold
Gain 9 o' clock
Master 9 (or to preference)
Presence 11:30
Treble 1:30
Mid 9
Bass 1
Reverb 11
Loop Active at 3 o' clock

In the Loop of the Mark V I have a Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Settings:
Dual Tone

Tone 1:
Amp: 1987 Jazz Clean (JC-120 Model)
Bypass Vol 79%, Room 34%
Cab: 2X12 87 Jazz Clean, 67 Condenser Mic
Bass 49%, Mid 63%, Treb 71%, Pres 68%, Drive 31%, Vol 95%

Mod: Sine Chorus
Speed 0.87HZ, Tap off, Tempo 120.0bpm, Mix 50%, Depth 56%,
Bass 39%, Treb 58%, Post Config

Reverb: Brite Room
Predly 50%, Decay 37%, Tone 50%, Mix 44%, Pre Config

Noise Gate = Thresh -70db, Decay 38%

Compressor: Thresh -32db, Gain 0db

Tone 2:
Amp: 1987 Jazz Clean (JC-120 Model)
Bypass Vol 79%, Room 34%
Cab: 2X12 87 Jazz Clean, 67 Condenser Mic
Bass 49%, Mid 62%, Treb 71%, Pres 68%, Drive 31%, Vol 95%

Mod: Stereo Square Chorus
Speed 0.70HZ, Tap off, Tempo 120.0bpm, Mix 54%, Depth 34%,
Predly 28%, Fdbk 25%, Post Config

Reverb: Brite Room
Predly 50%, Decay 37%, Tone 50%, Mix 44%, Pre Config

Noise Gate = Thresh -70db, Decay 38%

Compressor: Thresh -32db, Gain 0db

X3 Output Settings:
Stack PWRAMP, Tone 1 and 2, On, Pan 12 o' clock

Master Volume (knob on unit): 10:30
----------------------------------------------------

(Right Side)
Mesa/Boogie Simul-Class 2:90 Power-Amp, Presence Knob at 11:30
with a Marshall 1960B Cab.

Mesa/Boogie TriAxis on Rhy Green
4.0, 6.0, 2.0, 2.0, 0.0, 0.0. 5.5, 6.0, 3.0 (Nothing in Loop) Output: Max

Along with a TC G-Major and Modded Boss CH-1 in the Chain.
What I mean by in the chain?
I'm using a Voodoo Lab GCX w/ a Ground Control Pro.

First I'll mention my 8 Loops on the GCX.
1. Ibanez Tube Screamer
2. Boss CH-1
3. Mesa TriAxis
4. ADA MP-1
5. Marshall JMP-1
6. TC G-Major Left
7. TC G-Major Right
8. Mesa Mark V

(I'll create a Post of my rig setup if anyone is interested. I'm quite sure this is a vague description of it as a hole.)

So The Chains goes:
Boss CH-1 -----> TriAxis ----> TC G-Major Left-----> BBE Sonic Maximizer Stomp----> Mesa 2:90 Channel A.

So CH-1 before the Triaxis and G-Major after the Triaxis.

TC G-Major Settings:
Preset 1 named CLEAN
Mix Fil 100%
Pit 25%
CHO 0%
DLY 15%
REV 25%

CHO/FLA:
Subtype Class.Cho
CHO Speed 2.05 HZ
CHO Depth 68%
CHO Tempo Ignored
CHO High-cut 7.08 KHZ
CHO Mix 0%
CHO OutLev 0%

Reverb:
Subtype Hall
REV Decay 2.5 s
REV Predly 100 ms
REV Shape Curved
REV Size Huge
REV Hico1 Clear
REV Hifact 0
REV LowCol Tight
REV Lowfact 9
REV Roomlvl 0
REV Revlev -6db
REV Deffus 0
REV Mix 24%
REV Outlev 0db

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus Settings:
(This Pedal is Modded, I'd have to dig up the diagram on the Mod for specifics)
E.Level MAX
EQ 2 o' clock
Rate 9 o' clock
Depth Max
---------------------------------------------------

These Setting get me very close to James Clean Tone for any era of his tone.

sean106alcon said:
I sold my twp VH4's as I am much happier with my Mark V, with it's tone and also portability to rehearsal and gigs. The Vh4 was great and all but waaaay toooooo heavy and cumbersome. The Mark V sounds sick. Thanks guys.

Hi Sean.
I used to own a VH4 also and saw a lot of your youtube video's.
I sold mine because i wanted tu buy stuff to start a mixing"career". Got myself a Mesa Boogie Studio Preamp cause I always likes the Mark 4's i owned earlier.

The VH4 sounded great, but sometimes too compressed. It also reacted different on (pregain) eq- and overdrivepedals. Peter Diezel has got a lot of compression going on in the preamp section of the VH4.
If I would buy an expensive amp again, I would prefer a Mark series over the VH4.

myownself26 said:
Hello Friends,
New to the board!

Just stumbled on this page and thought I'd add my 2 cents.

I'm in a Metallica tribute from the mid-west called "Damage Inc." (Yes, there are several throughout the country with this name :roll: )

This is how I understand James clean tone is captured.
I use a similar setup and it sounds great! Very bright and chime like!

James:
As most of you know James blends his tones:
Crunch = Triaxis #2, Lead 2 Yellow with a "Phase Inverted IIc+" Mod. and a custom Mesa graphic EQ in the loop (Slaved from a Mesa studio Pre-amp)
along with a Diezel VH4 on channel 3 or 4 depending on the song.

and for the Clean:
Roland JC-120H with a Electro Harmonix Bass Micro Synth and an MXR Phase 100 in it's loop. (MXR is used for songs like "Bleeding Me", Could be in the chain with Triaxis?)
along with his Triaxis #1, Rhythm Green with TC G-Major and a Boss CH-1 in the chain.

3814993673_a2782dafb1.jpg

I think that Warble sound he gets in the clean tone is produced from the EH Bass Micro Synth. This maybe the secret weapon, if you will? This is on my list of pieces of gear to add to my rig. If anyone tries this, please let me know how it goes. I've dug up a picture of his settings on this unit.

HetfieldRack.jpg

Why does james have a line 6 DM4 distortion modeler in his rack pedal tray :shock: . It seems odd for him to need one when he has all the distortion from the triaxis's and VH4's

I've always wondered the same thing. If you look close to the pedal in the picture, it looks like the label says "SAD". Perhaps he uses it for Sad but True to help with the Hetfield godlike tone! :lol:

that would be "sad". all those amps and he cant replicate the IIC+ heaviness with heavily modded triaxis's and diezel VH4's :oops: . For one i dont see why James doesn't still use the IIC+'s on the road even though he uses them in the studio still, He must have many laying around their HQ

Hey thanks man. I am putting my JC-120 head away till i move (Neighbors hate it as it is sooooo loud). I actually find the super chorus in the loop of the mark v give me that open G string that hetfield chime with my custom MX explorers and the Iron cross. Please it is way more manageable to control the loudness of channel on the V to not kill my neighbors.

I am interested also in that Bass Micro synth, but all the demo videos I see on the tube make it sound like is more for distortion then cleans. Am I missing something? I did try the MXR and yeah it gave it that bleeding me like tone.

Ahh met fans I just bagged up this bad boy :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

http://www.seanydiesel.com/White-Quija.htm

DSC_0011.JPG

DSC_0012.JPG

Plays sick and has not gone out of tune at all in the month I have had it.Reminds a lot of the KH-20 I had imn terms of the clear coat on the neck, mirror inlays but just not as bright.

KillDivision said:
sean106alcon said:
I sold my twp VH4's as I am much happier with my Mark V, with it's tone and also portability to rehearsal and gigs. The Vh4 was great and all but waaaay toooooo heavy and cumbersome. The Mark V sounds sick. Thanks guys.

Hi Sean.
I used to own a VH4 also and saw a lot of your youtube video's.
I sold mine because i wanted tu buy stuff to start a mixing"career". Got myself a Mesa Boogie Studio Preamp cause I always likes the Mark 4's i owned earlier.

The VH4 sounded great, but sometimes too compressed. It also reacted different on (pregain) eq- and overdrivepedals. Peter Diezel has got a lot of compression going on in the preamp section of the VH4.
If I would buy an expensive amp again, I would prefer a Mark series over the VH4.
Yeah I sold my VH4 and Vh4S when I played the Mark V. Just loved the cleans a lot more and also the distortion is sick. Plus I hate lugging the 80 some odd pound VH4 to gigs. Too heavy. I can just bring my V head,tuner,wireless G30, and super chorus and I am set at the rehearsal space.

WOW!!! Killer KH Ouija! :D
If you don't mind me asking, what did that run ya?

I bought the LTD Black Ouija for $1200 and I love it! The real deal must sound stunning!
Mine has a bit too much high end from the EMG 81 for some reason. Is the ESP version this way also?
I of course tune it to Eb when we play live and It is one of my favs!

I think I might check that EH Bass Micro at my local shop. I'll try to test it with the settings in the photo and a Boogie and see how it sounds. I've always wondered what it was used for? All the time or just certain tunes?

I thought I was bad with the "Tallica gear! You my friend have me beat ten fold! KILLER!!! :mrgreen:

BTW, Selling your VH4 to grab a Mark V was a sweet move! Although those VH4 amps have some serious f'n ballz!

Latest posts

Back