James' ADA mq1

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darth Bacelar

Reaction score
Anyone knows why or how he used this eq? I have one, and I can get very nice sounds with it. But it would very interesting thing if someone knows anything about the relationship of James and the ADA. :wink:

I supose he used it with the IIC+ head... http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40326&start=0

I´m using it in the loop of my quad preamp. All my guitars actually have EMG 81. And for now, I only use the mq1 in channel 1, but I would like to know how hetfield use the mq1 in the IIc+

And the settings are very similar that the Fleming's notes in the and justice recording

You have the right gear for the Jaymz sound. :twisted: In the notes I have seen (and I'm going off memory here) James cuts some mids around 1.2k and bosted the lows at 120 and the highs at 4.6k. Start at these frequencies and adjust the level and Q till it sounds right.

Yeah, It makes sense. I have the notes, but i don´t understand very well the B&B eq :lol:

And some idea about the sound of black´s album tour? since 91 to 93 he used the mq1 live and gets very close to the album´s sound. I only have one pic about the IIc+ settings (in the link I posted before) but I don´t very satisfied with the sound that I get.

Any idea, or suggestion? :p

In that picture the treble is turned WAY low. I think he was using the boogie for low end and had something else in the rack/studio to give the high end, but we don't know what nor have it. So, I would suggest using the Master/Justice settings for the tone controls and then putting the graphic EQ in the M shape that he used for black album. This is how I get close to black album sounds at home.

I tried to use the justice settings with the M eq, but, i don´t really sure about the sound I get.

Anyway, I tried again with the treble very low, and getting it with the ADA, + M graphic, and I believe that sounds better, but I need more experiment : D

The M eq should be like that? I mean, I tried with the 240 and 2200 pots over the first line, I think it sounds very different when there are over or behind the first line.

All suggestions are welcoming! :D :D

Actually, the ADA mq1 it´s a graphic eq, not a parametric. But anyway, I can get very nice sounds with it. I´m still using it since I had a dual recto head.

Darth Bacelar said:
Yeah, It makes sense. I have the notes, but i don´t understand very well the B&B eq :lol:

And some idea about the sound of black´s album tour? since 91 to 93 he used the mq1 live and gets very close to the album´s sound. I only have one pic about the IIc+ settings (in the link I posted before) but I don´t very satisfied with the sound that I get.

Any idea, or suggestion? :p

Here ya go:

Guys,
you are over thinking the whole thing... U dont need the exact equipment with the exact settings you think James used to get the right 'Metallica sound'.
No one, including James or Kirk will be able to get the exact same sound as in the 'black album' or justice or any other album, because there are many other factors involved, most of them are eq's and processors that where added in the studio after the tracks where recorded.

The signature Metallica sound until Justice was MK C+ with Marshalls

Since Justice the sound was created using: ADA mp1 ---> Dual rectifiers, combined with MK C+ and Diezel at different levels
Since Load the ADA MP1 was replaced by Triaxis.

As long as you use the same amps, at decent volume levels (at least 40% output, to let the tubes open up) you will get a 'Metallica sound'.
Im a sound engeneer and have played with James and Kirk several times. They also use Orange and silverstar amps....

Just have fun playing!

Mmmmm so... I believe that if you use the white pot its reduce that frequency and if you use the orange pot, you boosted it, right?

And well, I know it´s very hard, maybe impossible to have the exact tone the had, becouse there´s magic in the studio, and engineering, too. But you can get close, or more close, if your equipment are similar to the one day they had.

Even so, I don´t have the exact equipment, but I get a very pretty and justice tone with the quad and the mq1 : D

The orange pot (smaller) controls the db (boost OR cut) and the white (larger) pot controls the frequency.

The orange button beside controls whether you are boosting or cutting the frequency.

But i don´t understand something. I´ll be pleased if someone can explain me this:

http://web.me.com/fwrproduktion/FWR_Produktion/Notes_2.html#6

Ok... I think the column of the right on paper, is the first, starting to count by the right, and the another the second of the right. Its coincide the freqs with the notes.

The black point means that freq is boosted, and the white point is cutting, right? But in the last two pots, on the bottom of page, you can see a dark and a white points.

What´s mean that? They boosted or cut the freq? :roll:

Sorry if I don't answer your question bang on, but here's a good read that covers some of what you may be looking for, a few posts down you see Flemming explain the notes and what they mean.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/58664-condenser-mic-identification-metallic
a.html

The only guitar tone that I liked from Metallica was the Master of Puppets rhythm guitar tone. That's it. The rest of their tones are pure garbage.

Take a Mesa Triaxis, pair it with a Marshall Mono-Bloc 100/100, tweek, and there you go.

The rest of their tones are pure garbage

Very much disagree with this statement. The Load/Reload and Garage tones are superb.

Metallica have had a great range of tones across all their albums. imo

It's cool if you don't like their tones, but I would never call their tone garbage. I think Ride is my fav album, but i go back and forth on that. I think they did some amazing work considering the shoestring budgets with time and money for the first few albums. They may have tried too hard on AJFA, but I love that one too. Load and Re-Load? maybe they shouldn't have made those albums under the Metallica brand, but I feel there is a lot of great stuff on those albums too. I think I like almost every song on Load... took a while to get used to though. I really like Death Magnetic. Suicide & Redemption. judas kiss.All nightmare long. The harmonies in the day that never comes... There is a lot of good parts on st anger, though I'd say these tones are my least fav. lot of good riffage.

"The signature Metallica sound until Justice was MK C+ with Marshalls"

Not really. James began to use boogie only with Master of puppets album and it's not really the original boogie sound. Before it was JCM 800 with either rat or OD808.

"Since Justice the sound was created using: ADA mp1 ---> Dual rectifiers, combined with MK C+ and Diezel at different levels"

Will be hard, the first Batch of Dual Rectifiers started in 1992 (they were with Serial number R0001 to 500), Diezel in 1994 and the black album was out in mid-1991...

"Im a sound engeneer and have played with James and Kirk several times"

Well...

Latest posts

Back