James' ADA mq1

You to can now master the Metallica sound like a puppet.

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned

User avatar
MesaGod666
Donating Member
Posts: 901
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:03 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Contact:

Re: James' ADA mq1

Post by MesaGod666 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:39 pm

The only guitar tone that I liked from Metallica was the Master of Puppets rhythm guitar tone. That's it. The rest of their tones are pure garbage.

Take a Mesa Triaxis, pair it with a Marshall Mono-Bloc 100/100, tweek, and there you go.
Mesa Simul-Class 2:Ninety; JP2C, Mesa/Boogie OS Cabs
OFFICIAL REDSKY WEBSITE
REDSKY ON FACEBOOK

sparklesmcgraw
Mark II
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:11 pm

Re: James' ADA mq1

Post by sparklesmcgraw » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:55 pm

The rest of their tones are pure garbage
Very much disagree with this statement. The Load/Reload and Garage tones are superb.

Metallica have had a great range of tones across all their albums. imo

Roadifier
Mark III
Posts: 346
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:19 am
Location: Tampa Fl

Re: James' ADA mq1

Post by Roadifier » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:42 am

sparklesmcgraw wrote:
The rest of their tones are pure garbage
Very much disagree with this statement. The Load/Reload and Garage tones are superb.

Metallica have had a great range of tones across all their albums. imo
+100
Image

zodiac272
Donating Member
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 2:00 am
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: James' ADA mq1

Post by zodiac272 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:54 pm

It's cool if you don't like their tones, but I would never call their tone garbage. I think Ride is my fav album, but i go back and forth on that. I think they did some amazing work considering the shoestring budgets with time and money for the first few albums. They may have tried too hard on AJFA, but I love that one too. Load and Re-Load? maybe they shouldn't have made those albums under the Metallica brand, but I feel there is a lot of great stuff on those albums too. I think I like almost every song on Load... took a while to get used to though. I really like Death Magnetic. Suicide & Redemption. judas kiss.All nightmare long. The harmonies in the day that never comes... There is a lot of good parts on st anger, though I'd say these tones are my least fav. lot of good riffage.
Mark IIC+ KDG "Road Head"
Mark IIC+ HRG
Mesa 2:90
Digitech GSP2101
ESP JH-2 Explorer
LTD Explorer
Ibanez S-540
Boogie 1x12 Thiele, 1x12 Compact Cab
Boogie 4x12 Cream Halfback

dafxtone
Bottle Rocket
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 4:29 pm

Re: James' ADA mq1

Post by dafxtone » Wed May 20, 2015 4:43 pm

"The signature Metallica sound until Justice was MK C+ with Marshalls"
Not really. James began to use boogie only with Master of puppets album and it's not really the original boogie sound. Before it was JCM 800 with either rat or OD808.
"Since Justice the sound was created using: ADA mp1 ---> Dual rectifiers, combined with MK C+ and Diezel at different levels"
Will be hard, the first Batch of Dual Rectifiers started in 1992 (they were with Serial number R0001 to 500), Diezel in 1994 and the black album was out in mid-1991...
"Im a sound engeneer and have played with James and Kirk several times"
Well...

User avatar
Silverwulf
Donating Member
Posts: 1474
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:36 pm
Location: DC Metro Area

Re: James' ADA mq1

Post by Silverwulf » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:21 pm

If I recall right, the rig James used on TBA tour was blending a IIC+ with his parametric EQ with the ADA MP-1 (which used the MQ-1) for his dirty sound. He blended a Mesa Studio Preamp with a Roland JC-120 for cleans, and everything (except the JC-120) was slaved into Mesa Strategy 400 power amps (even the IIC+).
Boogie user of 20+ years, previous owner of 150+ Rectos, author of the previous "2 Channel Recto User Guide" and current "3 Channel Recto User Guide" (if I ever stop being lazy and finish it)...

decker
Mark I
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:39 am

Re: James' ADA mq1

Post by decker » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:26 pm

Silverwulf wrote:If I recall right, the rig James used on TBA tour was blending a IIC+ with his parametric EQ with the ADA MP-1 (which used the MQ-1) for his dirty sound. He blended a Mesa Studio Preamp with a Roland JC-120 for cleans, and everything (except the JC-120) was slaved into Mesa Strategy 400 power amps (even the IIC+).
How do you know this ?

User avatar
Silverwulf
Donating Member
Posts: 1474
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:36 pm
Location: DC Metro Area

Re: James' ADA mq1

Post by Silverwulf » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:50 pm

decker wrote:
Silverwulf wrote:If I recall right, the rig James used on TBA tour was blending a IIC+ with his parametric EQ with the ADA MP-1 (which used the MQ-1) for his dirty sound. He blended a Mesa Studio Preamp with a Roland JC-120 for cleans, and everything (except the JC-120) was slaved into Mesa Strategy 400 power amps (even the IIC+).
How do you know this ?
From a rig diagram from one of the old guitar mags. I collected a lot of them. Metallica fanboy back in the day here, haha.
Boogie user of 20+ years, previous owner of 150+ Rectos, author of the previous "2 Channel Recto User Guide" and current "3 Channel Recto User Guide" (if I ever stop being lazy and finish it)...

decker
Mark I
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:39 am

Re: James' ADA mq1

Post by decker » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:40 pm

Thank you Silverwulf for this answer. Do you have other information like this about the sound of J. Hetfield during the recording of TBA ?

Thanks.

User avatar
Silverwulf
Donating Member
Posts: 1474
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:36 pm
Location: DC Metro Area

Re: James' ADA mq1

Post by Silverwulf » Wed May 30, 2018 11:26 pm

decker wrote:Thank you Silverwulf for this answer. Do you have other information like this about the sound of J. Hetfield during the recording of TBA ?

Thanks.
I know I'm kicking a dead horse here, but I see this question pop up a lot. Would there be any interest if I did a "Black Album" tone write up of sorts?
Boogie user of 20+ years, previous owner of 150+ Rectos, author of the previous "2 Channel Recto User Guide" and current "3 Channel Recto User Guide" (if I ever stop being lazy and finish it)...

XMLeaderX
Bottle Rocket
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:20 am
Location: Boise, ID

Re: James' ADA mq1

Post by XMLeaderX » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:37 am

Silverwulf wrote:
decker wrote:Thank you Silverwulf for this answer. Do you have other information like this about the sound of J. Hetfield during the recording of TBA ?

Thanks.
I know I'm kicking a dead horse here, but I see this question pop up a lot. Would there be any interest if I did a "Black Album" tone write up of sorts?
I would most certainly be interested. Just joined the board, and find a lot of useful information and ideas to try out. I kinda want to strike a few expired equines myself. Been experimenting with the late 90's tones myself and am enjoying the feel of this tone.

User avatar
Darth Bacelar
Mark II
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:08 pm
Location: Finland

Re: James' ADA mq1

Post by Darth Bacelar » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:43 pm

Wow, I started this post ages ago (it seems more than 8 years already!)

I recorded something from the black album http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=68836 using a Quad pre + the ADA preamp.

Post Reply