Does anyone know where I can find the pictures?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eschoendorff

Reaction score
Over on Gearslutz, Flemming Rasmussen joined a discussion about Metallica's work over at Sweet Silence studio. I am sure you guys are probably familiar with this (evidence of this is in the other thread)... but I cannot find the pictures that Flemming posted because his website is down. Also, the Rapidshare files just come up errors. So, it looks like my only hope is to see if anyone here downloaded the pictures that Flemming had posted in this thread.

Here is the original thread for reference:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/58664-condenser-mic-identification-metallica.html

If anyone has these pics and would care to either re-post them or send them to me, I would be very grateful.

Thanks,

Ed

It's up on this site but I don't know how long.

http://web.archive.org/web/20061214024121/http://www.sweetsilence.com/GearSlutzNotes.htm

I have a hard time understanding some of the settings there. It looks like it might be EQ, but not sure what some of the numbers are referring to.

From Flemming Rasmussen

I've been thinking how to do this - so this is the first "Test posting"
Please respond with ideas to make this easier to understand, or (moderator) if the pics are taking up too much space on your server.
This is the Jamez Guitar EQs for Battery rtm gtrs.
The Amp is Jamex Boogie into 2 Marshal cabs. Inserted in the loop on the amp,
is a B&B Audio (Aphex) parametric EQ EQF-1 as show on the left side of the pic.

The mics used are:

1 SM57 Shure in the center of the cone on one of the lower speakers.
1 B&K (DPA) 4006 omni on another speaker centercone.
1 AKG gold-tube in a 45 degree angle to the sideedge of the cab. aprox 4 feet away.

Miking is identical for both cabs.

The settings on the top is the amp settings including the Graf EQ on the Amp.
Mid Right is the EQF-1 loop eq settings.
Bottom is the EQ on the Desk a Trident A-range.
far left SM 57 it means
5K=-2 10K=+3, 150hz=+9, 1K=-3, 50hz lowcut(hipass) Fader=-10.

Hope this is understandable.

Enjoy

Flemming Rasmussen
Top of the sheet is the horizontal row of #s with three of them circled. They are the amp (Mesa MkIIC+) settings, circled means the knobs are pulled out.
Volume=9.5, treble=7 (pulled shift adds gain and balls in lead mode only), bass=2, middle=4, master=4 (pulled deep adds low end fatness for rhythm and lead), lead drive=5 (pulled lead manually selects lead), lead master=3.75, and presence=4.5, which is on the back of the amp.

Below that is the obvious graphic eq setting.

To the right of the graphic is the Aphex three knob lookin thing. That is the B&B (Aphex) parametric eq that is in the loop of the Boogie. The two dark dots with the + and the - and the squiggly lines (on the left of the knob that says 4.6k) are the indicators of whether or not the eq band is peaking or shelving, and if the gain is cutting or boosting. Those dots are actually circles that are filled in. I am not sure if A) the filled in means the right side indicator and the empty circle means the left side indicator, or B) vice versa. So if A) is correct, it means: +6dB of 4.6k shelving, -6dB at 1.2k, and +3/4 dB of 120hz peaking. If B) is correct, it means -6dB of 4.6k peaking, +6dB at 1.2k, and -3/4dB of 120 shelving. On the bottom of the aphex pic it says no filter, which refers to the aphex, not the Tubes 0 stuff below it.

To the left of the aphex, right below the graphic, is the amp cabinet 300watt rating, which could be the standard 75w celestion loaded deal, or some other unidentified sp. The 11739 and 11622 are ??

The graphs of endless #s that look like a stock market printout in a newspaper are the eq settings for the sm57, B&K 4006 in omni, and AKG Goldtube. Directly under the SM57 are the four fractions 5/-2, 10/3, 5/2.5, and 10/2. This means for the left sm57 -2dB at 5k, +3dB at 10k, and for the right sm57 +2.5k at 5k, and +2dB at 10k. +9dB of 150Hz, and -3dB of 1k, left sm57, and you get the idea. And so on and so forth for all the other fractions, with a left and right mic for each mic type. At the bottom of the fraction sets are the division bracket looking things with a 50 or 100 inside. Those are the highpass filters. Below those are the F10-s and the F14/16-s. Those are the fader positions, so the sm57 and Akg are at -10dB, and the B&K is below it by 6dB at -14/16dB.
I know that we tried almost every Marshall Cabinet and Marshal amp in Denmark for the "Ride" session, cause James had his amp stolen just before recording started. He had had some modification done on it and the guy who did it couldn't remember what he had done, so we checked out all the amps and cabs we could get our fingers on. So Ride is made on Marshall amps and Cabs.
Master is done with Boogie amps and cabs, and Justice is a combination of what gear they had at the time - Boogie , Marshall and ADA.

Back