Mesa Boogie Quad settings for Puppets/Justice crunch

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Friedmett

Reaction score
Here is my basic settings for Lead 2 on my Mesa/Boogie Quad preamp. I based them on the actual Metallica recording settings of Puppets and Justice which I found at a sweetsilence page which is now gone. So What issues (Metallica club mag) from 2008 has Kirk's early days in details and some of the pictures of the same Puppets recording notes are alo present.

MesaQuadMetallicasettings001.jpg

EQ is mostly done by my ear. Justice is less mids and EMG's ad to the tone so it's pretty close but fine tunning maybe needed.

MesaQuadMetallicasettings002.jpg

I plug straight into the Quad with my Jackson RR2772 with seymore duncans sh6 and sh4.

These settings will work with Mark IV and I guess any other Mark series as well.

I tried this EQ curve on my Mark V in C+ and it works good, sounds nice and tight. The added bass sounds good too...

Cool to see others loving the Quad !

I have definitely reached my goal with my Quad, thats for sure; That same sound from the Justice and Puppets albums.
For my part, to the extent that when I touch the guitar or even the string noise occurs, it instantly reminds me of those albums.

I used the notes from Flemming, and since the guitars are dual and quad layered, the boost and cut with equalizing must be more than for only one guitar, i.e. +4db could mean even +8db in high treble boost.
Even if the poweramp (6550's) and Eminence V12 speakers aren't the same as the Marshalls and Mesas, it's still extremely similar I think.

Here is a bad picture, but you could maybe spot some settings.

A bit hard to say exactly, the legends on the equalizer are very deficient.

But around +4db at 120Hz, -5db on 900Hz and +9db at 6Khz. Some of the variable Q's are widened more than deafult.

I don´t think so! You did a nice work ;) sounds pretty close to the original recording IMO.

****, I should try some of your settings hahahaha what tubes you use on the Quad?

I have neve changed my tubes but I have opend to check what type is in it.

Grove tubes all ower.

Some of them does sound like the need to be replaced.

screamingdaisy said:
norskmetall said:
Now, anyone have the clue about the exact speakers they used ? G12-65, G12T-75, V30 ? :?:

I think it was G12-65s for MOP and AJFA. The switch to V30s wasn't until the black album.

Yessir.

Jackie said:
screamingdaisy said:
norskmetall said:
Now, anyone have the clue about the exact speakers they used ? G12-65, G12T-75, V30 ? :?:

I think it was G12-65s for MOP and AJFA. The switch to V30s wasn't until the black album.

Yessir.

Darn! I only got V30, G12T-75 and eminence V12... :?
Maybe the 75' would be closest.. ??

The 65 is a midrangey speaker while the 75 is a speaker with the mids slightly pulled back. I think the V30 does the Metallica thing great.

Jackie said:
The 65 is a midrangey speaker while the 75 is a speaker with the mids slightly pulled back. I think the V30 does the Metallica thing great.

Thanks Jackie . Will try that :)

Btw: From the notes from MOP productions, there is a "300W kabinett" mentioned, meaning it must probably have been 4 x G12T-75 (4x75W = 300W)

Latest posts

Back