Metallica's rigs

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are numerous sites that have details..

but Kill em all, was Jose modded Marshalls
Ride the lightning was modded marshalls (the Kill em all were stolen)
Master of puppets was Mark II c+ with marshall poweramps
AJFA same as above.. maybe mark 3?
Black album, Marks II C+ , im guessing mark IV (some people say it wasnt out before the album, but i bet they had prototypes if that was the case)
Load / Reload / Garage inc.. Rectifiers , Triaxis
St. Anger - retifiers / triaxis / maybe marks? Diesel VH4
the new one - same as st anger (with slightly better production value on the record) maybe a Mark V prototype? (we know petrucci was touring with one) (maybe kirk even used his signature Randall amp)

oh and from probably Master on... Roland Jazz chorus for clean sounds

Here's a pic of Cliff's Mesa rig (the only picture I know of)

59471.jpg

Two D-180's plus some other stuff in the rack...
1 x 15 on top, 4 x 12 in the middle and another 4 x 12 under that (?) (might be a guitar cab)

Pictures of Metallica in the studio around 1985 is aviable.

James Hetfield is posing with his white Jackson King V

Behind him is the MKIIc+ on 4*12 Marshall cabs. Just halfstacks and there is 2 halfstacks and IIC+ heads.

There is another picture behind the mixing console and Cliff Burton is on the right so it must be the Puppets sessions in 1985. So to sum up. Puppets is Mesa heads and Marshall cabs.

Cliff's Mesa speakers were custom made. There is an interview on metclub.com where he mentions it.

There is a Mesa/Boogie Quad in the pictures from the Justice sessions.

FC Spoiler said:

This is by far my favorite pic of Cliff. Although I have seen metallica more than 35 times in concert, I never did get to see them with Cliff.

Friedmett said:
Pictures of Metallica in the studio around 1985 is aviable.

James Hetfield is posing with his white Jackson King V

Behind him is the MKIIc+ on 4*12 Marshall cabs. Just halfstacks and there is 2 halfstacks and IIC+ heads.

There is another picture behind the mixing console and Cliff Burton is on the right so it must be the Puppets sessions in 1985. So to sum up. Puppets is Mesa heads and Marshall cabs.
Link?

j0706_1.jpg

Metallicasanstitre114zo.jpg

Second picture proves that the studio session is with Cliff and most likely to be 1985 with the Boogie amps and Jackson King V from the first picture.

dmcguitar said:
check out the EQ curve on the mark.. its not a V

I was going to say the same thing! Incredible pictures! Just when ya think you have seen them all, some more pop up.

These 2 pictures are truly great.

I first saw the Jackson picture on the guitar site Jacksonpalace for Jackson lovers mostly based in Finland where Jacksons are held in high love for Metal instruments. Dave Mustaines old King V and the WASP Rhoads owner Jani is there among alot of others me included.

http://www.jacksonguitarpalace.com/

I was wondering what studio session it might came from. He got the King V in 1985 nearly a year before Dave Mustaine so that could be the Garage days EP or maybe earlier. I can't recall where I found the other but with Cliff it narrowed it down and it does look like the Sweet Silence studio to me. Mesa amps were Puppets, Marshalls on Lightning. The second picture put the 2 together. Also James shirt is in a few Ross Halfin photos from that time.

Slaved into Marshalls? Where did Monty Jay get this info from?

Friedmett said:
Slaved into Marshalls? Where did Monty Jay get this info from?

Read this thread: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/58664-condenser-mic-identification-metallica.html lot of info. I think the studio has since closed and the website was taken down, but I have copies of the files. There used to be pics with the Marshall heads in the studio.

I can remember the Justice picture of the drums and Quad rack but not any pictures for Puppets.

Thank you for the link. Please post the pictures if you can.

Any idea why the gearsluz site is down?

I've never seen the "Aphex B&B" that Het used back in the 80's...but I cam across this one here, I forget where I found it, but it was listed on a site as an "Aphex B&B Parametric EQ" and when you zoom in at the knobs it matches the notes from the "flemming/sweet silence" pics above.

So you can get a better idea of what frequencies were boosted and which were cut and by how much etc...

Anyone ever see one of them White King V's with a fixed bridge that Het has in the MOP pic above?

I'd buy one in a second!

Back