The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:45 am 
Mark II

Quote:
well, here's my opinion: Did "Kill 'em All" make ya jump up and down, bang your head, slam dance et. al? It's coz of the intensity of the performance, the writing /arrangements of the songs-not the brilliant guitar sounds/production! Same with RTL and MOP...I mean, just the intro to "Battery" set the song up with drama and intensity. The songs are better, and people (not just musicians) appreciate those albums more so. . I think Cliff had a lot to do with it. I could be wrong, but AJFA is a very odd album, soundwise. I dig the heaviness of it, but from the way Lars kicks into "Blackened" with the snare drum sounds so ...weak! The drum sound was horrible, and there was no bass guitar tone. But if the songs were better, I think there wouldn't be this debate on sounds. To me , the only really good song, arrangement, groove solos etc, was "Frayed Ends of Sanity"...the other stuff really wasn't that good, no "Orion" or "Disposable Heroes". I think they shoulda released less songs and done more songwriting homework. That being said, the $5.98 EP, and the recording of "Breadfan" as well, is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Get a studio, mic everything, and BOOM! The fact that it was cover songs doesn't detract because of the slammin takes they got! That's what AJFA shoulda felt like...
Is what Hendrix did on all of his songs sonically perfect and in tune? No! But did it matter? Did the songs hold up on their own? I think everybody hears the out-of-tune guitar or the dropped note, but it is secondary to the song and the performance.
Ever hear Jimmy Page duplicate a guitar sound? Did he even try? The gtr solo in "Heartbreaker" is terrible...but did it detract from the song, or add? I try to get a different sound for each song as well. (this is all with a Mk4) check it out, it ain't close to metal, but it is good. you will diggeth!
ride free forever!

very wise words! I still love AJFA, I think the songs are much better musically, with better guitar parts and more intricate rhythms, but it does detract from the actual songs themselves

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:57 pm 
Dual Recto

i dont know what you guys are talking about because live Het's tone is still killer. As far as Kirk, well his tone has always sucked IMO, especially live.

As far as Metallica's grailtone, look no further than Garage Inc. When the heavy guitars kick in on astronomy its like the earth opening up and swallowing all in its path. The list goes on... Merciful Fate medoly, Loverman, Turn the Page, Stone Cold Crazy, etc. Everything is clear, plenty of mids, tight bass, nice crunch and perfect production which is what Death Magnetic lacks... if Rubin didnt ruin the damn mix with his over compressed crab and sh!t mix, the guitars would shine... 90% of the album was Mark IIC+ so to all complaining about lack-o-mark IIC, its there but covered in a thick layer of compression gravy.

Also, while ride and MOP are my favorites, aside from Damage Inc, some of their greatest tones have come post-AJFA, especially on Load... and I'm not kidding.

Guitars: PRS "McBraz" Brazilian McCarty
Pedals: Bogner Uber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:49 pm 
Single Recto

jdurso wrote:
i dont know what you guys are talking about because live Het's tone is still killer. As far as Kirk, well his tone has always sucked IMO, especially live.

As far as Metallica's grailtone, look no further than Garage Inc. When the heavy guitars kick in on astronomy its like the earth opening up and swallowing all in its path. The list goes on... Merciful Fate medoly, Loverman, Turn the Page, Stone Cold Crazy, etc. Everything is clear, plenty of mids, tight bass, nice crunch and perfect production which is what Death Magnetic lacks... if Rubin didnt ruin the damn mix with his over compressed crab and sh!t mix, the guitars would shine... 90% of the album was Mark IIC+ so to all complaining about lack-o-mark IIC, its there but covered in a thick layer of compression gravy.

Also, while ride and MOP are my favorites, aside from Damage Inc, some of their greatest tones have come post-AJFA, especially on Load... and I'm not kidding.

I concur good sir. But, I don't mind the tones on Death Magnetic. I mean, they aren't the best, but I don't think they are absolutely terrible either...just my opinion though.

-AJH

Schecter SLS-FR/Hellraiser Extreme-FR/Blackjack C7-FR
Endorsements: Mesa Boogie/Schecter/Planet Waves/D'Addario

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:52 am 
Mark II

To my mind, the sound of Master of Puppets is the best Metallica sound ever; I also like the Ride The Lightning sound but I dislike the And Justice For All sound, because I think it's too flat and doesn't cut through the mix. Black's album has a very good sound too but Master of Puppets is the Holy Grail! I also think that if you give a lot of IIC+ to Hetfield and co. they couldn't get the same sound as the early years; times are gone and now Metallica is like a brand new rock-metal band. :cry: :cry:

Ibanez Blazer BL10
Ibanez Blazer BL300

http://www.myspace.com/fabriziocalderara

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:10 pm 
Mark II

settecorde76 wrote:
times are gone and now Metallica is like a brand new rock-metal band. :cry: :cry:

Exactly. Whos interested in hetfields rig these days anyway. I personally think he's tone is nothing to admire about. I'd be more thankful to know what rig Alex Skolnick (TestAmenT)
or something which should deserve more attention...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:15 pm 
Mark II

In these days I'm listening to Killswitch Engage's "As Daylight Dies"....their sound is very hard and perfect (in my opinion) and I like it very much....I think it's the real modern metal sound! :D
And they use Framus, not Mesa...so, you can get a great sound with different amp and rigs because your sound lies deep in your mind! :wink:

Ibanez Blazer BL10
Ibanez Blazer BL300

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:58 am 
Single Recto

jdurso wrote:
As far as Kirk, well his tone has always sucked IMO, especially live.

Surely his soloing tone isn't all that great, but I think Hammett's biggest problem is still his undecently loose right hand (a thing where Hetfield rules instead).

As far as RTL tone, Hetfield himself said that was their chunkiest guitar tone (at least talking about Metallica's earlier albums, I don't know when he was interviewed about that) mainly because they used a lot of reverb on guitar tracks. MOP guitar tracks where dry and the guitar tone seemed less full but better (according to Hetfield... now that I think about it a little bit more I remember it could have been an interview just after MOP release). I always read that the amp used on RTL was a Jose Arredondo's modded jcm800 w/ a tubescreamer but I'm not sure about it.

MESA/Boogie Studio Preamp
MESA/Boogie 50/50

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:40 pm 
Mark II

ytse_jam wrote:
Surely his soloing tone isn't all that great, but I think Hammett's biggest problem is still his undecently loose right hand (a thing where Hetfield rules instead).

Exactly...now Kirk sucks all times, that's what I think....his technique is comparable to a beginner and his old solos in Master of Puppets or Ride the Lightning were better than today. Death Magnetic is bad, his sound his bad and the song writing is a bad copy of Metallica's Golden years.. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Ibanez Blazer BL10
Ibanez Blazer BL300

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:48 pm 
Road King

ouch...I didn't know Kirk was on the same level as a guitar center 10 yr old...I hope you're not being serious.

Mesa Standard 4x12
1980's EV Thiele
Sold:
'92 Dual Recto Rev. C
'92 Dual Recto Rev. E
'05 Dual Recto 3ch
'84 Mark IIC+ DR
http://www.TheBoogieArchives.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:01 pm 
Donating Member

up to and including MOP's, I think Kirk's soloing was some good stuff. If nothing else he was fast, clean and pretty creative. I even like his lead tone's on that stuff. These days it seems to me that he's just playing for the sake of playing. I really don't think he really puts much love, sweat or tears into his work anymore... he always seems to fall back on the pentatonic blues riffs that don't really even fit the songs too well. I'm not really sure what motivates metallica these days as a band, but they definitely don't have their old hunger driven intesity, to say the least...

Marshall JCM800 100w MkII

Payne Labs -- mEQ: MIDI controlled analog EQ -- K-Switch: MIDI Switcher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:03 pm 
Mark II

Elpelotero wrote:
ouch...I didn't know Kirk was on the same level as a guitar center 10 yr old...I hope you're not being serious.

Dude....don't get me wrong because my sentence is an euphemism...he's surely not on the same level as a 10 years old but, be honest...his actual technique and his ideas are not so good as before! Moreover he was Satriani's student.... 8)

Ibanez Blazer BL10
Ibanez Blazer BL300

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:06 pm 
Mark II

kiff wrote:
up to and including MOP's, I think Kirk's soloing was some good stuff. If nothing else he was fast, clean and pretty creative. I even like his lead tone's on that stuff. These days it seems to me that he's just playing for the sake of playing. I really don't think he really puts much love, sweat or tears into his work anymore... he always seems to fall back on the pentatonic blues riffs that don't really even fit the songs too well. I'm not really sure what motivates metallica these days as a band, but they definitely don't have their old hunger driven intesity, to say the least...

Exactly! You have my same ideas about him and his soloing....thanks! :wink:

Ibanez Blazer BL10
Ibanez Blazer BL300

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:07 pm 
Bottle Rocket

right now, at least to me, Metallica sounds like some band covering Metallica...
A couple of fast, heavier syncopated rhythms dont equate to the intensity they once had.

And the whole, "hey lets spend millions of dollars to have the album sound like a garage band demo" thing is not working for them. Does Hetfield even care about his vocals (mix, sound, key) anymore?

Starfield American Cabriolet
Mesa Rectoverb (series 1 original)
bunch of other amps
too many pedals & other gear to list....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:36 pm 
Road King

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmOQ1tt22q8

tasty tone to me!

Mesa Standard 4x12
1980's EV Thiele
Sold:
'92 Dual Recto Rev. C
'92 Dual Recto Rev. E
'05 Dual Recto 3ch
'84 Mark IIC+ DR
http://www.TheBoogieArchives.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:37 pm 
Mark III

:!: :!:

Last edited by guitarmaster on Wed May 06, 2015 3:44 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next