The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:03 pm 
Offline
Bottle Rocket

Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:00 pm
Posts: 1
Hello, im new here so take it easy...
I want to buy a USED mesa boogie that costs between 500 and 800 USD, and i like very much John Petrucci's tone, which amp do u guys recommend that have a sound similar to Mark IIC+ or Mark V.
Thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:44 pm 
Offline
Mark III

Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 12:42 pm
Posts: 339
Location: Germany
if it should be a cheaper mesa amp, check out the DC-5 / DC-10 heads.
just got a DC-5 the last week and its sound is very MK series like.

_________________
Joe´s Band: Risky Whisky; Morbid Sky


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:10 am 
Offline
Road King
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 2:57 pm
Posts: 4039
Location: MIA, NYC, CA
I would look into the rack units, such as triaxis and the quad. These can reproduce the vintage Mark series tones. Also look into used Mark 3's.

_________________
'92 Dual Recto Rev. D, Volume mod
'84 Mark IIC+ Coliseum
'85 Mark IIC++ DRG, V1 mod
Mesa Standard 4x12
1980's EV Thiele
Sold:
'92 Dual Recto Rev. C
'92 Dual Recto Rev. E
'05 Dual Recto 3ch
'84 Mark IIC+ DR
http://www.TheBoogieArchives.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:23 am 
Offline
Mark II

Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:52 am
Posts: 90
A Studio preamp would be an option too, especially if it had had the IIC+ mod. JP used a Formula preamp for his clean sound for a while too I believe. These go for the kind of pricerange you were mentioning too.

_________________
Richard Codling, Edinburgh/Newcastle, UK

Guitars: Jackson, Charvel, Dean
Amp rack: Studio Preamp, Behringer PEQ2200, Marshall 8008, 2x12 cabinet
Pedal board: Wah, Tuner, MXR (Dist+, Flanger), E-H chorus, Boss Delay

www.facebook.com/LiveBurial


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:15 pm 
Offline
Donating Member

Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:57 pm
Posts: 295
+1 for the quad. Pick up a solid state rack power amp for a few hundred and you're good to go with some great mesa mark tones. The triaxis would work well too, but are harder to get for as cheap as a quad or studio preamp. FWIW a studio just went on ebay for 455, and I got my quad for around 500 about a year ago, but lately I've noticed they jumped back up in price (700-800)

_________________
Roadster, Mark IV, Traditional/ Stiletto 412
Gone: Quad MIDI Pre, TriAxis V1 & V2, Formula Pre, 2:90, 20/20


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:15 pm 
Offline
Donating Member

Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:56 pm
Posts: 1088
Location: Norfolk, CT
Plenty of Mark III's out there in this price range and you'll get the best tone next to a IIC+. Studio pre second choice, unless weight is an issue, then go with the pre.

_________________
Hendrix/Dimebag influenced, JP2C, Mark llC++, Steinberger GR4's


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:42 am 
Offline
Bottle Rocket

Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 2
JMMP wrote:
+1 for the quad. Pick up a solid state rack power amp for a few hundred and you're good to go with some great mesa mark tones. The triaxis would work well too, but are harder to get for as cheap as a quad or studio preamp. FWIW a studio just went on ebay for 455, and I got my quad for around 500 about a year ago, but lately I've noticed they jumped back up in price (700-800)


Really? I have a DC3 head, and i have a chance to trade it for a triaxis.
You say that sounds good with a solid state power amp?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:08 am 
Offline
Donating Member

Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:57 pm
Posts: 295
The triaxis I had was more sensitive to power amp choice than my quad. If you are happy with your dc-3, I would recommend keeping it. Starting down the path to a rack system is an expensive one, and not entirely rewarding. The Triaxis also responds differently than every other Mesa product I own. I currently have a Marshall JMP-1 and Mesa Quad playing through a Rocktron Velocity 120 that sounds very good. I do not know how the Triaxis would work in this setup, but I do feel the Velocity is above average as far as solid state tone goes.

_________________
Roadster, Mark IV, Traditional/ Stiletto 412
Gone: Quad MIDI Pre, TriAxis V1 & V2, Formula Pre, 2:90, 20/20


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:52 am 
Offline
Mark III

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:45 pm
Posts: 221
gutoalvim wrote:
Hello, im new here so take it easy...
I want to buy a USED mesa boogie that costs between 500 and 800 USD, and i like very much John Petrucci's tone, which amp do u guys recommend that have a sound similar to Mark IIC+ or Mark V.
Thanks


Welcome! My advice is to save up $1000 and then look for a used Mark IV(b) combo. Here's why:
1. Its a buyer's market
2. Nobody has any cash
3. Mesa/Boogie combo amps are really heavy which keeps resale value low.
4. Combine the previous three reasons and you would be amazed at how far $1000 can take you.
5. Petrucci played a Mark IV. 8)

Good luck!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:54 pm 
Offline
Mark II

Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:29 am
Posts: 100
Another vote for the Mark III. I paid $850 for my blue stripe combo which is in excellent condition. It gets pretty darn close to the sound you are looking for.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:56 pm 
Offline
Mark II

Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:29 am
Posts: 100
Given To Fly wrote:
gutoalvim wrote:
Hello, im new here so take it easy...
I want to buy a USED mesa boogie that costs between 500 and 800 USD, and i like very much John Petrucci's tone, which amp do u guys recommend that have a sound similar to Mark IIC+ or Mark V.
Thanks


Welcome! My advice is to save up $1000 and then look for a used Mark IV(b) combo. Here's why:
1. Its a buyer's market
2. Nobody has any cash
3. Mesa/Boogie combo amps are really heavy which keeps resale value low.
4. Combine the previous three reasons and you would be amazed at how far $1000 can take you.
5. Petrucci played a Mark IV. 8)

Good luck!


Great advice. There is currently a Mark IV on the PGH Craigslist for $925 in excellent condition.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:20 am 
Offline
Donating Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:36 pm
Posts: 1446
Location: DC Metro Area
I agree above with the Mark III. They're very underrated amps. If you need a dedicated clean channel, then saving up a little more for a Mark IV may be a better option.

_________________
Boogie user of 20+ years, previous owner of 150+ Rectos, author of the previous "2 Channel Recto User Guide" and current "3 Channel Recto User Guide" (in progress).


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group