Petrucci tone with a cheaper Mesa Boogie

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gutoalvim

Reaction score
Hello, im new here so take it easy...
I want to buy a USED mesa boogie that costs between 500 and 800 USD, and i like very much John Petrucci's tone, which amp do u guys recommend that have a sound similar to Mark IIC+ or Mark V.
Thanks

if it should be a cheaper mesa amp, check out the DC-5 / DC-10 heads.
just got a DC-5 the last week and its sound is very MK series like.

I would look into the rack units, such as triaxis and the quad. These can reproduce the vintage Mark series tones. Also look into used Mark 3's.

A Studio preamp would be an option too, especially if it had had the IIC+ mod. JP used a Formula preamp for his clean sound for a while too I believe. These go for the kind of pricerange you were mentioning too.

+1 for the quad. Pick up a solid state rack power amp for a few hundred and you're good to go with some great mesa mark tones. The triaxis would work well too, but are harder to get for as cheap as a quad or studio preamp. FWIW a studio just went on ebay for 455, and I got my quad for around 500 about a year ago, but lately I've noticed they jumped back up in price (700-800)

Plenty of Mark III's out there in this price range and you'll get the best tone next to a IIC+. Studio pre second choice, unless weight is an issue, then go with the pre.

JMMP said:
+1 for the quad. Pick up a solid state rack power amp for a few hundred and you're good to go with some great mesa mark tones. The triaxis would work well too, but are harder to get for as cheap as a quad or studio preamp. FWIW a studio just went on ebay for 455, and I got my quad for around 500 about a year ago, but lately I've noticed they jumped back up in price (700-800)

Really? I have a DC3 head, and i have a chance to trade it for a triaxis.
You say that sounds good with a solid state power amp?

The triaxis I had was more sensitive to power amp choice than my quad. If you are happy with your dc-3, I would recommend keeping it. Starting down the path to a rack system is an expensive one, and not entirely rewarding. The Triaxis also responds differently than every other Mesa product I own. I currently have a Marshall JMP-1 and Mesa Quad playing through a Rocktron Velocity 120 that sounds very good. I do not know how the Triaxis would work in this setup, but I do feel the Velocity is above average as far as solid state tone goes.

gutoalvim said:
I want to buy a USED mesa boogie that costs between 500 and 800 USD, and i like very much John Petrucci's tone, which amp do u guys recommend that have a sound similar to Mark IIC+ or Mark V.
Thanks

Welcome! My advice is to save up $1000 and then look for a used Mark IV(b) combo. Here's why:
1. Its a buyer's market
2. Nobody has any cash
3. Mesa/Boogie combo amps are really heavy which keeps resale value low.
4. Combine the previous three reasons and you would be amazed at how far $1000 can take you.
5. Petrucci played a Mark IV. 8)

Good luck!

Another vote for the Mark III. I paid $850 for my blue stripe combo which is in excellent condition. It gets pretty darn close to the sound you are looking for.

Given To Fly said:
gutoalvim said:
Thanks

Welcome! My advice is to save up $1000 and then look for a used Mark IV(b) combo. Here's why:
1. Its a buyer's market
2. Nobody has any cash
3. Mesa/Boogie combo amps are really heavy which keeps resale value low.
4. Combine the previous three reasons and you would be amazed at how far $1000 can take you.
5. Petrucci played a Mark IV. 8)

Good luck!

Great advice. There is currently a Mark IV on the PGH Craigslist for $925 in excellent condition.

I agree above with the Mark III. They're very underrated amps. If you need a dedicated clean channel, then saving up a little more for a Mark IV may be a better option.

Latest posts

Back