OH NO!!! Petrucci caught playing a Marshall JVM

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masque

Reaction score
what shall we all do now????? 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKGMg-nr3co

How do you not know the Marshalls are only being used by Satriani and that Petrucci's rig is off stage to the left out of the camera's view?

shredi knight said:
How do you not know the Marshalls are only being used by Satriani and that Petrucci's rig is off stage to the left out of the camera's view?

because there is another video of Joe talking about his setup and he has an extra JVM on stage next to his because his buddy Petrucci is stopping by to jam with him that evening and he specifically says the extra JVM is for Petrucci.

masque said:
shredi knight said:

because there is another video of Joe talking about his setup and he has an extra JVM on stage next to his because his buddy Petrucci is stopping by to jam with him that evening and he specifically says the extra JVM is for Petrucci.

Oh, in that case his tone sucked in the video. :wink: :lol:

So what? No need to be narrow-minded. A guitarist of his level sounds good no matter what he plugs in. I bet Mesa's gonna take one of his RoadKings out if they see this video, it's like catching Angus Young playing a Fender Strat :lol:

I happen to own a JVM410H, and I must say, it's an awesome piece of gear, a myriad of Marshall tones, old ones and new ones, slammed in one head. There is no comparing it to a Boogie rig, because it's like saying a dude that knows <enter martial art> is gonna beat a dude who knows <enter another martial art>.

From what I've seen and heard, the JVM is a nice Marshall amp. To me, it's the "Mark V" of Marshall. If I wasn't so much into Boogies, I'd have a JVM.

Jackie, do you use the reverb on the JVM?

I'd say the Mark V is waaaay more complex and it has tons of options. I'd say its more versatile, but not by very much.

The great thing about the JVM is that it's a great "almost" plug and play amp - you can get great tones in minutes. Just choose a channel, set gain, set B/M/T to taste, add balls and bite with Resonance/Presence and voila! I can spend half an hour dialling in a tone on my 2:90/TriAxis rig too. The JVM is very Marshall by nature, but it gets a little "something else" with the OD2 channel (more scooped).

I do use the reverb, but I'm not a 'verb freak, so I rarely have it set higher than 4/10, usually have it on about 2 or 3 for cleans, don't use it that much for drive sounds. Granted, it' ain't your vintage spring tank, it's digital, but it doesn't sound dead, or "processed". Better than say, the Vintage Modern's, which was muddy and dark to my ears. It compliments the amp nicely and is usable.

This is starting to look like an ad for the JVM. Sorry, guys. No, I don't work for Marshall. :lol:

I think it's pointless to be "alarmed" by a single gig, Petrucci is about as devoted to Mesa as it gets :mrgreen:

guys my initial post was mostly a joke. I have owned a mesa triaxis and 20/20 since 1999 and I absolutely love them. I also have owned a JVM 410h for almost three years now......they are both fantastic pieces of equipment.

while they have a few overlaps in sound....very few.....they are mostly entirely different animals. i love both of them very much.

yes, petrucci is as loyal to boogie as any artist i have seen.....but i think it's great to see him jam for a couple of songs on a JVM hanging with his buddy.....no big deal at all.....i just know some people have spent their lives chasing his tone and buying each one of the various boogies he has played over the years while trashing marshalls and other amp companies along the way. i just think it's silly.....i think marshall and boogie are great companines that have made lots of great amps over the years.

yes, i think the reverb on the JVM is about as good an onboard reverb you will find on an amp......and the cool thing is that it is not global.....you can set the amount you want for any of the four channels and even set it to be on or off within the three modes of each channel. pretty cool stuff.

Yeah, I sorta knew it was a joke, but on some forums that I read through some people just don't understand it, I trod carefully instead.

Now, where's that "Angus Young plays a Fender Strat into Mesa Boogie Mark I" clip :lol:

Jackie said:
Yeah, I sorta knew it was a joke, but on some forums that I read through some people just don't understand it, I trod carefully instead.

Now, where's that "Angus Young plays a Fender Strat into Mesa Boogie Mark I" clip :lol:

that would be hillarious to say the least!

It's funny what we get used to. I remember tripping out the first time I saw Slash playing a BC Rich instead of the fabled Les Paul. :lol:

Same thing when I saw Jimmy Page with a Telecaster. :p

Yeah, it is... I'm happy for all the pros that find "it" and are able to stick to one brand (yet alone one piece of gear) without vastly changing their setup. Its also nice because it makes us easy for us mere mortals to find what we like by relating to your hero's taste in gear.

talltxguy said:
Same thing when I saw Jimmy Page with a Telecaster. :p

Actually, AFAIK, he was very fond of the Tele, just never used it that much live, he used it a lot on recordings (Stairway solo was done on the Tele, for example).

i am mostly a boogie guy....and have logged more time live with my boogie rig than any other but in the studio and overall I'm basically a gear *****.....I like lots of stuff and wish I could own about 50 amps....cause i think there are bunches out there that offer lots of great tones.

talltxguy said:
From what I've seen and heard, the JVM is a nice Marshall amp. To me, it's the "Mark V" of Marshall. If I wasn't so much into Boogies, I'd have a JVM.

Jackie, do you use the reverb on the JVM?

+1. thats exactly how i'd describe it. i have both and IMO the boogie is way better. ymmv

masque said:
yes, i think the reverb on the JVM is about as good an onboard reverb you will find on an amp
As a JVM410H owner, I'll say that I do not agree with that statement. It definitely gets the job done and isn't bad by any means, but is by far not the best reverb I've ever heard. I've compared them directly side by side many times, and the reverb sounds really good until you compare it to the Mark V's reverb. By comparison, the JVM's reverb just sounds fake and cheap.

rocknroll9225 said:
masque said:
yes, i think the reverb on the JVM is about as good an onboard reverb you will find on an amp
As a JVM410H owner, I'll say that I do not agree with that statement. It definitely gets the job done and isn't bad by any means, but is by far not the best reverb I've ever heard. I've compared them directly side by side many times, and the reverb sounds really good until you compare it to the Mark V's reverb. By comparison, the JVM's reverb just sounds fake and cheap.

and with all do respect i disagree with you.......and thats the great thing about music.....it's all pretty much subjective.......one man's great reverb is another man's fake and cheap reverb......

i'm not a marshall fan boy...i do love marshall amps....i own a JVM but I am really a Boogie guy.......i've owned amps by several companies BUT I am in no way an expert on all amps but to my ears the JVM's reverb is supberb.

Why settle?

I have a JVM and a MkIII. Even with the MkIII's lesser features/knobs, it still has the life-affirming Mark tone that wins over the JVM, but the JVM can do a LOT of cool things as well. I even bought a nice BYOC Marshall Shredmaster clone to run through the MkIII because I was missing that old trademark sound for my Priest covers, but I finally broke down as just picked up the JVM to have the real thing! It does a very nice JCM800 impression, which is my fave Marshall sound, but with a much better clean channel and way more gain at low volume if you need it.

But I do blaspheme the JVM by running it through one of my Mark cabs. :oops:

I have a jvm410 and I used to have a MKV. I like the old DSL100 best of the three. My gripe on the JVM is that the value dropped like a rock. cant even get $1000 for the thing used now. it was 2499 new. I know some like the MKV, I just did not vibe with it like my other Boogies. The MKV held value much better.

I have a Rectifier and MKIIC now. Happy with those Boogie offerings. I think the more modded Marshall tones get to sound a bit like the MKIIC.

If you like metal, check out Rhodes. It is more of a MKIIC influenced tone.

Back