The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Petrucci using AXEFX
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:25 pm 
Mark III

Ran across this on Boogie's site...From the wiring description the Axe appears to be used for just for effects, but sounds like more than just for practice. Yeah, I know, does it really matter, not really but then again why does this forum exist in the first place. :wink:

Quote:
As gear was pared down for some international touring in 2010, John made the switch to the new Axe FX unit by Fractal and just two Mark V heads. The simpler set up was holding up well so the decision was made to continue with it for the North American Iron Maiden tour. All of the channel switching selections are made with one head that is fed into the the Axe FX by the FX send of the Mark V. The signal is then split to stereo with the Axe FX and returned back into the main head’s FX return and the other Mark V’s FX return. This routes all tones to the same power section of the second Mark V so you have a true stereo image.

Full article http://mesaboogie.com/news/2010/07/dream-theater-john-petrucci-and-john-myung/

RA 100
Triaxis
(2)PortCity 2x12 OS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:01 pm 
Mark III

It is in his B-rig live for a while. I am not a fan by any means of the man, but damn I think it was all over the place months ago. There are even pictures of it in his live rig. And why not?

It is good no doubt about it. I'd love him to ditch some mesas and see some fans unloading them to buy the axe or something.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:16 am 
Mark III

He has 1 on his practice rig, and he used one for effects only on the small rig put together when they opened for Maiden. Check his website for gear photos. Mesa/Boogie also posted photos.

My Gear:
PRS CU24's, CE24's, CE22's, EB MM JP6, Fender American Strat
Diezel VH4, Mesa Roadster, Mark IV, Mesa Stiletto, Mesa 4x12 cabs

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:37 pm 
Mark I

I finally had a chance to play one of these and WOW, this thing is over-hyped. The effects were entertaining, but this thing sounded pretty digital to me. I had my suspicions from youtube videos, but I wouldn't judge a tone completely from a mystery recording.

Well, I guess some people just like how things like this sound.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:00 pm 
Single Recto

adamlanghans wrote:
I finally had a chance to play one of these and WOW, this thing is over-hyped. The effects were entertaining, but this thing sounded pretty digital to me. I had my suspicions from youtube videos, but I wouldn't judge a tone completely from a mystery recording.

Did you play it for more than 5 minutes? I've owned one for almost 2 years. The effects are not just "entertaining". They're world class delays, reverbs, etc. The amp sims sound amazing. If it's not for you, fine. But I've heard tons of Mesa clips and vids that sound like sh!t too. But I wouldn't judge the amp based on a short demo. BTW, where did you get to play it? They aren't in stores and can only be purchased direct or used.

I also own a Mark IV so it's possible to own a tube amp and an Axe. Lastly, JP has already stated that he does use the amp sims direct in Pro Tools and that he thinks it sounds incredible.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:40 pm 
Dual Recto

adamlanghans wrote:

What were you plaing it through? I hooked mine up through my crappy little pa with Behringer active speakers as it sounded fizzy and digitally. When I run it through a QSC power amp into my Marshall cab or through a quality pa system it sounds like a big screaming orgasm inducing machine with a lightsaber. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:05 pm 
Mark III

Fractal Axe-Fx II
RJM RG-16
iSP Decimator ProRack G
Dunlop DCR-2SR Crybaby
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Multi-Watt (pre-500 mod)
Roadster 2x12 cab

https://www.facebook.com/BuriedElectric

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:09 pm 
Mark II

I have and use an Axe-FX II and while I would not say that it quite matches up to any of my Boogies on the same tones that it's supposed to emulate, if you're careful to adjust the settings properly it'll get you awfully close. It doesn't feel quite so "alive" as a real screaming tube amp but if you were listening to a recording of one or the other and not know which you were listening to, you might guess the wrong one if asked to guess which one is being used at the moment.

The great thing about a modelling amp is that it means you can have as many amp tones as you want without having to haul around that many different real amps. You haul around as many real amps as you WANT to, and the Fractal gives you the tones of the others you'd rather not lug around with you.

I don't hate on modellers (well, not on the Fractals, anyway...) but I don't claim that they're absolutely equal to tube amps yet, either. But they are really good and well worth having.