Petrucci sounds on a TriAxis

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minoin

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Though I've been reading this forum for some time, but I finally own my own killer Mesa rig; TriAxis with 2:90! I'm in heaven right now :lol:
Besides that, I'd like you TA-guys to share your vision about Petrucci-tones. I know he's not using any TriAxis except for LTE, but I'd love to come close to any "Misunderstood"/"Blind Faith"/"Count of Tuscani" sound.
So the Lead 2 Yellow is probably the way to go, but what to do with the rest?
Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.

Keep on rockin'!

Didn't he use one on some of images and words? or atleast on the IAW tour?

Lead 2 yellow is probably for most of the rhythms and leads, but i guess he used the lead 1 red recto model for some rhythms

Here you go:
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=32699

Haven´t got my tone from there, but there is something to try if you don´t know how to start with those amps.
I got my tones with that V-shape eq (i use g-force eq with "petrucci" values from mark amps) and ears.
I think that Triaxis DV is not enough to get what i want, you don´t see values... but allways it´s over 6 for me, exept cleans.

Here's what I use to play Dream Theater stuff: [check out this thread http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26010]

Patch Name: MkIV Crunch
Submitted by: jaquetapus

Mesa Triaxis Version: v2 non-phat
Preamp Tubes: Stock Mesa
Power Amp: 2:Ninety
Power Amp Tubes: Mesa 6L6s
Guitar: Ibanez S470DXQM
Pickups: Stock Bridge
Cab: Traditional 4x12 and Recto 2x12
Speakers: Vintage 30s

Mode: Lead 2 Green
Gain: 8.0
Treble: 6.5
Mids: 4.5
Bass: 1.0
Lead 1: 0.0
Lead 2: 6.5
Master: 4.5
Presence: 2.0
Dynamic Voice: 3.0
Power Amp Voicings: Deep and Modern
Power Amp Settings: bedroom volume between 9-11 o'clock, Presence 10 o'clock

Notes: Tight Mark IV crunch for solid rhythm work. I don't use any effects on this patch.

Patch Name: MkIIc+ Lead
Submitted by: jaquetapus

Mesa Triaxis Version: v2 non-phat
Preamp Tubes: Stock Mesa
Power Amp: 2:Ninety
Power Amp Tubes: Mesa 6L6s
Guitar: Carvin DC200
Pickups: D-Sonic, bridge
Cab: Traditional 4x12 and Recto 2x12 [stacked and in stereo]
Speakers: Vintage 30s

Mode: Lead 2 Yellow
Gain: 9.0
Treble: 5.5
Mids: 7.0
Bass: 1.0
Lead 1: 0.0
Lead 2: 10
Master: 5.0
Presence: 3.0
Dynamic Voice: 1.0
Power Amp Voicings: Deep and Modern
Power Amp Settings: bedroom volume between 9-11 o'clock, Presence 10 o'clock

Notes: Smooth sustaining mid-voiced lead tone, good for legato kinda stuff. Kinda messy for faster runs. In my G-Major I use a 675ms dynamic delay with 10% feedback, 5ms L/R offset mixed at 12% and a big fat hall reverb at 17%. My attempt at an older Petrucci c+ tone. [hey, stop throwing rocks!]

-dave

just cleaned up some stuff and found a printout of the "ominous" handwritten Petrucci Triaxis presets from 94/95....here´s a hi-res scan....
PetrucciTriaxisPresets001_zpsc987ccfd.jpg

Triaxstasy said:
just cleaned up some stuff and found a printout of the "ominous" handwritten Petrucci Triaxis presets from 94/95....here´s a hi-res scan....
PetrucciTriaxisPresets001_zpsc987ccfd.jpg
Just seeing this post, Andy Timmons gave me that sheet and told me that was what JP used on the triaxis for those tones. In fact, I just saw that page a couple months ago when I was cleaning up a big box of old paperwork.

Latest posts

Back