Want to know the basics of a good lead tone on tube amp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plapnab

Reaction score
Hi all, I just purchased a Mesa Dual Rectifier. This amp has some of the best and most versital tones for rhythm. However, I find that when it comes to a lead/solo tone this amp is as dry as a popcorn fart. The salesman who sold it to me was adiment about me running effects through the effects loop...which makes sense. However, the only effects that I have is a Boss GT-8. And, my Mesa apparently hates to run this pedal through the loop because the tone is crappy and squeally. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I need to get those really wet Dream Theater, Steve Vai, Satriani leads. I see that Tube Screamers are really popular...do these run good with channel 3 or would that just kick a whole lot of feedback at me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :wink:

The GT8 will be difficult because the 3channel Recto has a parallel fx loop, which makes running units like the gt8 or pod difficult. You could modify it to a serial loop and it'll amend most of the issues. Do a search for more on that, there's plenty.

I would recommend an overdrive pedal like a tubescreamer or bb preamp, plus some delay.

Elpelotero said:
The GT8 will be difficult because the 3channel Recto has a parallel fx loop, which makes running units like the gt8 or pod difficult. You could modify it to a serial loop and it'll amend most of the issues. Do a search for more on that, there's plenty.

I would recommend an overdrive pedal like a tubescreamer or bb preamp, plus some delay.

I agree with all of this. Look up the serial FX loop mod, and also look up how to hook up your GT-8 using the 4 cable method. You'll be good to go then. The GT-8 has all the ODs and FX you need to get some great lead tones out of your Recto.

Well i have heard that DR's are not that great for a good lead tone like that. But an overdrive pedal will help fatten it up and make it "wetter" for leads. Try the Maxon Od808, i got a chance to use one recently and its MUCH better than my reissue ibanez ts9. Also try the BBE green screamer

I'm really a novice at stomp boxes...I've always used effects pedals like the GT6 or 8. The experience I have had with them is running it between the guitar and amp on a clean channel. And, I've never gotten a decent sound out of them. Is it because I'm not looping it in with a dirty channel??? Or, is that just a recipie for disaster?

Ive never heard of running overdrive or distortion pedals in the effects loop. I mean for a tube screamer, to boost the amp, set the level to 10, gain to 0, tone to taste, and put it between amp and guitar, its that simple.

I don't know...Check out this video on youtube. He's running a MXR Zach Wild overdrive into channel two of a dual rectifier. If you ignore his kind of crappy playing and the poor recording he's getting a really nice lead tone...especially towards the middle of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI0e7kvnd1A

plapnab said:
I don't know...Check out this video on youtube. He's running a MXR Zach Wild overdrive into channel two of a dual rectifier. If you ignore his kind of crappy playing and the poor recording he's getting a really nice lead tone...especially towards the middle of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI0e7kvnd1A

Yeah, he doesnt say whether its in the effects loop or straight through guitar to amp. But litterally 99% of people dont use od/dist in the effects loop. I was also looking at his other videos and he has an attenuator, that will help to run the amp higher to compress it a bit.

Nice to know...I guess the main thing I'm looking at is if you get a good lead tone out of channels 2 and 3 by adding a stomp box. Clearly, the answer is yes. I was hoping to run it through the effects loop so that I wouldnt have to do so much tap dancing around stomp boxes to get the effect...I like the rectifiers natural tone for rhythm. I'm thinking I want to try my GT8 running into the amp and turn off all my patches amp mods to see what that sounds like. Anyways...check out this link. It's my GT8 run stereo through a Marshall on one side and and ART on the other (both solid state amps). This is kind of the lead tone I want...only more warm and tubie (not my best solo by the way but the only one I have on video...be nice :wink: )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy7RtvYoGLg

Yeah but running a gt8 through anything is going to get through the tone still. Its a big piece of digital equipment. but even just a tubescreamer NOT in the effects loop is not incredibly noticeble when its off. If you are still weary about that, try the BBE Green Screamer, its a ts clone with true bypass.

Just pop any decent boost, OD, EQ into the loop and adjust it to get the lead tone you want. I find that most multi-fx just don't sound right with a Recto. Make the best of the tone you have and tweak it for the leads.

Just for clarification,

Putting effects in front of an amp is not, repeat....not, interchangeable with putting them in the effects loop. Overdrives and clean boosts are specifically designed to go in front of the preamp tubes, not in the loop. The whole purpose is to drive the preamp tubes into greater levels of gain and distortion.

MusicManJP6 said:
Elpelotero said:

I agree with all of this. Look up the serial FX loop mod, and also look up how to hook up your GT-8 using the 4 cable method. You'll be good to go then. The GT-8 has all the ODs and FX you need to get some great lead tones out of your Recto.

+1.

The "4 cable method" is a must when using a multi fx pedal like the Boss GT's. It allows you to control the oder of all your effects in the loop. This way, you can have the OD's in front, Mods in the loop, etc. Just make sure you have the wetness set to 100% on the back of your amp or youll sound like crap, haha.

forget all the stuff about 4 cables and this and that...

throw that piece of crap gt whatever in the trash...get an eventide modfactor for
your loop and a good overdrive pedal for the front of your amp to loosen up
that stiff as **** recto.

once you hear that you can start adding one or 2 more to tweak it but those 2 (delay for loop
and overdrive for front) will put you in the ballpark. an eq in the loop would really help you
tweak your tone as well, try the mxr 10 band...it's killer.

Back