Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Dream Theater rules
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:43 pm 
Mark III

MusicManJP6 wrote:
Erotomaniac1928 wrote:
I listened to the whole album on youtube, too. I kept what integrity I had left by refusing to download the songs. Ill get the special edition and really be prepared to hear it at its sonic amazingness. Youtube quality sucks, haha.

Oh, i'll be buying the album as well! I just couldn't wait any longer... the suspense was killing me. I really really like JP's tone on this album. His heavy rhythms are brutal and his solos are very creative. It seems he was more inspired by something on this one. I'm actually wanting to learn some of these solos which usually I don't even think about attempting! The rhythm he plays in the second verse of Rite of Passage is killer. Anyone seen a tab for this song yet? I figured out the main riff. I was playing it in drop D - not sure if that's what he's using, but it sounds pretty spot on to me...

yeah it is in drop d, i figured it out too.

I also figured out one of the main riffs to A Nightmare to Remember, break out your 7 string!

Heres the notes for the riff:
C C D Eb F# Eb D C repeat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:57 pm 
Mark II

MusicManJP6 wrote:
Erotomaniac1928 wrote:
I listened to the whole album on youtube, too. I kept what integrity I had left by refusing to download the songs. Ill get the special edition and really be prepared to hear it at its sonic amazingness. Youtube quality sucks, haha.

Oh, i'll be buying the album as well! I just couldn't wait any longer... the suspense was killing me. I really really like JP's tone on this album. His heavy rhythms are brutal and his solos are very creative. It seems he was more inspired by something on this one. I'm actually wanting to learn some of these solos which usually I don't even think about attempting! The rhythm he plays in the second verse of Rite of Passage is killer. Anyone seen a tab for this song yet? I figured out the main riff. I was playing it in drop D - not sure if that's what he's using, but it sounds pretty spot on to me...

Yeah i know what you mean about that second verse riff. Its killer. I was telling my bandmates that we need riffs like that behind vocals :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:11 pm 
Mark III

I think the album was quite bad. Period.

Mesa/Boogie Mark IV
4x12 Standard Rectifier Cabinet

http://www.hamuemon.moo.no
http://www.myspace.com/hamuemon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:50 pm 
Donating Member

EirikBrandal wrote:
I think the album was quite bad. Period.

You are banished from the land!!!!! Kidding. But, seriously?!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:19 pm 
Mark III

They've lost themselves completely if you compare them to earlier albums. They play more power metal and badly structured ballads now, and I certainly know a lot of better bands to top the hierarchy.

Mesa/Boogie Mark IV
4x12 Standard Rectifier Cabinet

http://www.hamuemon.moo.no
http://www.myspace.com/hamuemon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:38 pm 
Mark II

EirikBrandal wrote:
They've lost themselves completely if you compare them to earlier albums. They play more power metal and badly structured ballads now, and I certainly know a lot of better bands to top the hierarchy.

Something you have to realize about DT is that every album is totally different. Even WDADU, I&W and Awake arent alike at all. The only thing DT has "lost" is James' high end range. Plus, myself and a lot other fans included dont want to hear a recycled version of I&W anyways. Something new is always better than copying a formula

Mesa 4x12 halfback cab (Sold!)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:59 pm 
Mark II

EirikBrandal wrote:

Anna Lee and Another Day are also very badly structured ballads :lol:
Also Take the Time is a cheesy power metal song...except for the guitar/keys duet :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:23 pm 
Mark II

DudewithFr0 wrote:
EirikBrandal wrote:

Also Take the Time is a cheesy power metal song...except for the guitar/keys duet :lol:

Helloween is power metal. Sonata Arctica is power metal. Hell, even DragonForce is a bad excuse for power metal. To call anything by Dream Theater power metal, Take The Time in particular, is insulting to DT and the power metal genre.

Mesa 4x12 halfback cab (Sold!)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:27 pm 
Mark III

Erotomaniac1928 wrote:
DudewithFr0 wrote:
EirikBrandal wrote:

Helloween is power metal. Sonata Arctica is power metal. Hell, even DragonForce is a bad excuse for power metal. To call anything by Dream Theater power metal, Take The Time in particular, is insulting to DT and the power metal genre.

You summed up what i was gonna say, but i wrote a huge post and the page locked up and it got lost.

Basically, i wish they would write more stuff like A Change of Seasons, or Metropolis Pt.2, but i respect the band highly, support them in their new musical endeavors and still like their music.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:12 am 
Mark IV

I love every album and this one is no different, sure they are moving in a different direction but thats what i love about DT, if I wanted to hear the same formula beat to death for 10 albums I would post on the Nickleback thread about how they really turn my crank but I love progressive music and DT for being just that. All opinions are cool because its about what YOU dig and get from an album or music. /cheers brothers of the axe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:29 pm 
Mark II

Erotomaniac1928 wrote:
DudewithFr0 wrote:
EirikBrandal wrote:

Progressive music spans all genres so yes they do have some power metal.
And Helloween, Sonata Artica, and stupid dragonforce have cheesy a-- lyrics...am i right or am i right?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:07 pm 
Mark III

DudewithFr0 wrote:
Progressive music spans all genres so yes they do have some power metal.
And Helloween, Sonata Artica, and stupid dragonforce have cheesy a-- lyrics...am i right or am i right?

I think Helloween's lyrics on "Mrs. God" aren't cheesy but really funny. If you've been married for a while, you'll understand. Even my wife gets a laugh out of those.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:42 am 
Mark III

I love DT and the new album.

NYC Pedalboard, Evidence Audio Cables

Add me: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=6300393

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:15 pm 
Mark III

Erotomaniac1928 wrote:

I actually buy all DT CDs and DVDs the old fashioned way, because I want to support what they are doing. 8)

I view Black Clouds as a high point for them and in particular for JP's tone. I am definitely missing Portnoy now....

Quad Preamp/2:90
MkIII+ Simul-Class & MkIVb
Mark 4x12 Stack
Charvel 650 Custom/EMG85/SLV/SLV+SPC
Charvel San Dimas I Koa USA
Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
B.C. Rich Eagle Evo2/Air Norton
ESP Eclipse EMG 81/60
Ibanez UV7BK
Charvel 475 Exotic
Fender Tele USA