Anyone have any suggestions for DC-5 petrucci sounds?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'll need the GEQ in the classic 'V' shape....then with the channel EQ - mids at 4, bass at 2 (to taste really but it will stay tighter the lower you set it here and the higher you bump the low GEQ slider up), and treble at 6.5 or so. Gain around 8 should do the trick. presence to taste (i like mine around 4 or so).

Of course I own a signature model JP so that gets me closer, but I am no JP in the talent department. I can hear his tone influence when I play (from the guitar), but it still mostly sounds like 'me' no matter how hard I try. Haha.

DiMarzio pickups will certainly help.

I've gotten very close with my DC-5 by have the Treble on 7.5, Mids on 5, Bass on 9, and Presence on about 6.5. I have JJ ECC83S preamp tubes with the gain on 8, but those have more gain. Mesa tubes, probably more like 9.5 or 10. Output at 3. Vintage 30 speakers.

Honestly, I don't even use the graphic EQ. I have my perfect Falling Into Infinity-esque tone (think Lines in the Sand, but with a little more high end) and awesomely creamy lead tone. But the V shape will definitely get you that extra JP kick.

EDIT: I tried JP's Top Mark IV EQ settings (can be found on the Gear section of his site) on my DC-5 today, and it's perfect. I recommend doing that.

If i can remember my current settings exactly(im in class now :p) they are
gain-8
treble-6.5
mid-5
bass-2
presence-0
master-4-5
output-3-5 (with my attenuator on)

I use a ts9 for the smoother leads, and a bbe green screamer for his rhythm sounds

It gets an almost SFAM type tone

LTE said:
If i can remember my current settings exactly(im in class now :p) they are
gain-8
treble-6.5
mid-5
bass-2
presence-0
master-4-5
output-3-5 (with my attenuator on)

I use a ts9 for the smoother leads, and a bbe green screamer for his rhythm sounds

It gets an almost SFAM type tone

Posting from class is epic. Your settings are pretty close to mine. I like to experiment alot with my settings so anything cool you ever figure out shoot my way

Hi All!!
I'm new in this great community!
I'm a happy owner of a Mesa Boogie DC 5.
I play dream theater, My guitar is MM jp6
I love this amp, but I would like to ask you some advice.
When I play I really need to set the gain really high, at 8 or 9, and for rithym is ok, but when I play some solo the sound is really dry, like if the guitar doesen't have any sustain.
I would like to have a more liquid sound.
My goal is to reach as nearly as I can some Petrucci tone from Live.. Like Scenes from New york or Live at bucarest..
nay suggestions??
May I need to boost the the crunch channel??

EQ graphic on
Today I will try some setting posted here.

thx

Back