HELP NEEDED With Mark V purchase

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milleniumking

Reaction score
Hi guys/gals.

Ok, I have the option of getting a very good condition mark v amp. What I am giving up is a Marshall 2555x (reissue Jubilee) and a Peavey 5150 signature head. Im ok with this trade price wise n such. My fear is, Im so used to the raw aggressive tone of the 5150 and of course the tone of the Marshall Jube. Will the Mark V be a good trade for both these amps? Price wise the deal is on par.

Secondly, I am trying to simplify my rig. Using a boss ms3 to control 2 amps is a mess cable wise therefore one of the reasons for getting the Mark V because it is such a versatile amp (from what ive read and seen on youtube) and it should eliminate the use of so many cables.

Has Anyone had any luck getting the boss ms3 to do all the functions on the amp?

to reference, I normally play guitars in e flat mostly(ie: van halen, gnr, UFO, Kiss etc), I do also play metal (ie: Misery index, suffocation, Dying fetus stuff in c# standard)

Any help would be appreciated in this dilemma!

If you like both the Marshall and the Peavey then the Mark V may take some adjusting to get used to. A Mark V can cover lots of genre territory but it sounds like a Mesa Mark period. I play rock and metal so for AC/DC kinda stuff the Channel 2 crunch does it for me. However Channel 3 is where I spend the most time in MarkV mode. This mode provides me more than enough crunch, gain and attack that puts into several metal genres with a bit of tweaking on the built in 5 band. This amp to me is one of the most frustrating yet most rewarding amp I’ve ever owned. That includes a JVM, XXX 2 and 6505. All great amps bit at this point, the Mark V is the only one I kept.

jdgebha said:
If you like both the Marshall and the Peavey then the Mark V may take some adjusting to get used to. A Mark V can cover lots of genre territory but it sounds like a Mesa Mark period. I play rock and metal so for AC/DC kinda stuff the Channel 2 crunch does it for me. However Channel 3 is where I spend the most time in MarkV mode. This mode provides me more than enough crunch, gain and attack that puts into several metal genres with a bit of tweaking on the built in 5 band. This amp to me is one of the most frustrating yet most rewarding amp I’ve ever owned. That includes a JVM, XXX 2 and 6505. All great amps bit at this point, the Mark V is the only one I kept.

Thank you for the response. Ive gone ahead and will be doing the trade. I think it is a good trade for me. Ive never had a Mesa amp before so this should be a fun ride.

You're definitely going to want to download the Owners Manual from Mesa. The way the EQ works on these amps takes some getting used to, the manual helps figure out how and why to set it that way.

Back