External EQ Options in FX loop and Beginning of Signal Chain

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkaczano

Reaction score
I have a Mark V and I love it. I use the 5 band EQ and presets to shape the tone across all channels.

I figured out early one that when practicing and playing alone (no band/not live), that I can further shape my sound by putting a parametric eq in my FX loop (post pre-amp but pre-power amp). I am using the parametric eq in an old G-Force multi-effects unit for the shaping in the FX loop. It really tightens up the tone and does things that cannot be done using the 5-bank eq on the amp. I note that I am playing alone and this might sound different when playing in a band. But for practicing - I really like the tone.

I am looking to delve a little deeper into external EQ options and placement of those EQ options.

I have a couple of questions.

1) I want to know if anyone can recommend other parametric EQs that I can play with in the FX loop (replace the one I using in the G-Force). Looking at pedals options.

2) I also want to experiment with adding some EQ to the front of my signal chain (before preamp - in between guitar and preamp). Any recommendations?

3) Lastly, I know I can accomplish most of this using pedals. But I also know there are great parametric eq analog options for recording/mixing. Any recommendations on employing any of these rack units in my FX loop and/or at the beginning of my signal chain.

Thanks again

Not really what you are looking for(parametric), but I just got a great deal on an Ashly 31 band GQX3102 stereo equalizer from musicians friend. It was a used unit but I got it for around $130. I use one half for input eq and the other half for loop eq and it works fantastic. I got the Ashly because it does 15db boost or cut instead of 12db, but frankly I have not switched it out of 6db mode as that seems to do all I want, and it has had an amazing effect on the tone I get from my Mark V 90(it is a rack unit). Highly recommend this unit (from what I can tell it sold brand new for $750, so I am really happy, except for some writing on the unit(someone used black sharpie to designate F and H on it....I assume this was a refurb unit that they could not get the sharpie mark off of so they sold it as used...everything else is basically brand new and works like a dream).

Back