Mesa Amp Etiquette - Good habits ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bankim

Reaction score
Hello guys,

Wanted to get some opinions on proper etiquette for Mesa amps from the guys in the Forum - specially with the frequency with which they need to be played/powered up to keep the capacitors/screens/etc in shape. Please keep in mind that I am not educated in any way in matters of circuits, pcbs, etc.

I usually follow the standard procedure of turning the Amp to Standby before powering it up. Standby for a couple of minutes and then turn it on. Also, I move it to Standby before turning it off. However, due to commitments to work and family in the last couple of years, I usually end up powering up my Amp once every 4/5 months and I am beginning to wonder if the long breaks in between could end up leading to issues with the amp?? Also to add, I usually replace the pre-amps and the power amp tubes anytime I hear microphonic disturbances.

The chances of me getting an amp tech in my area is pretty much non-existent but I want to make sure that I can do whatever is possible in my means to keep it in good shape. Should it be sufficient that the pre/power tubes are changed periodically ? Are there other things I can do to improve the life span of my amp ? I have heard of Mesa amps going strong for 20+ years but in most cases, these amps had atleast a few visits to Mesa factory; something which I cannot do at the moment since I am in a different continent.

Just for info, have had my Mark V 90 since 2015, haven't had much problems with it except for the occasional microphonic tube, which after a tube swap turns out fine. The only issue I have currently is probably the 'Effects Loop' indicator light being ON partially even if the loop was not engaged (Effects loop indicator light is dimly lit when OFF but lights up properly when ON) - Effects Loop works as intended. I am wondering if anyone has noticed anything similar with their amps ?

Tube lifespan is determined by operating hours and operating conditions. If you gigged three nights a week, you MIGHT need to change power tubes once a year. So....at your current schedule you can assume that unless there's a failure you'll never need to change a tube.

Filter capacitors, though, last longest when they're kept powered up. I recommend capacitor replacement every 10 to 15 years. By 20 they're definitely ripe for changeout. Just do yourself a favor and when you do power your amp up, let it run for several hours before you turn it off. That will help to maintain the capacitors given your infrequent usage cycle.

Thanks woodbutcher65, I ll try n keep the amp ON for at least a few hours next time I power it up..

Back