Mark V Foot switch circuit board questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ranchak

Reaction score
I would like to use a smaller foot switch than the monster one that comes with the Mark V 90 watt. I noticed that the channel buttons are momentary type. I’m also assuming this is why there is a circuit board inside of the pedal housing. Are there any other Mesa foot switches that use the momentary push buttons?

I would like to stay away from the three 1/4” plugs method and would like to use the 8 pin cable, even if I need to rewire the foot switch. But if there is a smaller foot print switch I wouldn’t be opposed to using three 1/4” cables. In actually they probably would be more bullet proof over the DIN cable.

Well don't want to deviate too much from your original question because if you only need a subset of the control, doing something custom with a few switches shouldn't be too difficult.

My current setup uses a midi capable multi-fx pedal and found using a Voodoo Control Switcher works well with it. Fairly easy to setup to chan switch with associated patches. I tend to agree the DIN connector, which doesn't lock, can work loose much easier then the 1/4" discrete control. One approach could be to use something like a Tech 21 MIDI Mouse Pedal (3 switches) and a Control Switcher or an RJM Mini Amp Gizmo (discontinued). Pricier then rolling your own from a materials standpoint, but there is flexibility.

Now I seem to recall the RJM Mini Amp Gizmo (which does the same control thing as the VooDoo) had a custom DIN cable that interfaced directly with the V's DIN, but I could be wrong about that.

I’m doing the same with my Express 5:25+ pedal. You can easily take apart the MV pedal and trace out the circuit. Make sure the switch type - momentary or latched, DPDT or other. You can also contact a Mesa tech support.

I am considering a Mesa Channel/Solo Footswitch. Will have to drill a hole for the DIN connector (on the side) or fit it into the hole for the 1/4” jack. This one has single color LEDs and latching DPDT switches. There is a seller Kolkata on eBay that has a two button or three button with LEDs and a 6 pin DIN socket. Replace it with an 8 pin and change wiring as needed.

Dual color LEDs may need a second resistor/value to balance light output. The Express also has a 15uF cap between +12V and ground. The MKV will have its own quirks.

Using the DIN cable is the way to keep the LED function, bringing in 12V. You can also build another small box with more switches and still use the standard cable.

After a few days of thinking about this project I think I am going to use the 1/4” plugs. This will be a more bulletproof and simpler (as in less to go wrong) way to go. I’ll get DC power from my pedal board to light the LEDs.

Latest posts

Back