New to Mesa. Proud owner of a Mark V:35 for 15 minutes...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newfiesig

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forum.

Ok, cryptic title. So I recently decided to jump ship from Marshall to Mesa. I've had a number of issues with Marshall amps not working properly. After doing some research (already owned a couple of Mesa pedals and the 2x12 Recto cab), I landed on the Mark V:35. Picked one up yesterday (new).

Brought it home and plugged in it. Awesome. It was the sound I was looking for, and versatility is amazing. Unfortunately, after around 15 minutes I started to get a weird static sound. It was there in all three power modes, both channels, with or without the guitar plugged in.

Back to the shop.

Shop dude plugged it in and verified that I wasn't crazy and/or it wasn't something in my signal chain at home. It was a floor model, but was on the floor for 11 days. The fact that the knobs were all at 0 implies that it wasn't even plugged in. Not sure what happened. May have been a fluke, or maybe a bad tube. I just went through a similar situation with a JVM410HJS... turned out it was a bad op-amp. May have been simple, but I didn't potentially want to go though a similar situation as before; days of techs telling me they are still looking for an issue. Espcially since it was brand new.

So rather than "check-in" a brand new amp to the doc, I decided to return and have the shop order a new one from Mesa.

All that being said, I am extremly impressed with the build quality (ironically) and sound/options with this amp. I can't wait for my new one to arrive!

T

I had something similar with my new Mesa Mark Five:25 combo. Worked great first time I plugged it in. Second time, tons of static and bad distortion. tried a different set of EL84 tubes, problem solved. Took the original tubes back to the dealer and they gave me a new set. It’s been problem free ever since. Great little amp. Still exploring the sounds I can get with it.

xvo2Pho.jpg

Back