I don't love my Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ranchak

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I just got a Mark V about a week ago. I am not in love with this amp. I'm playing a Gibson SG with Seymour Duncan Saturday Night Specials. I have watched many videos of this amp and I have also gone through some of the post on the forum about suggesting tone settings, tube changes, etc. I'm in the same camp as a few others, I feel like this amp is boxy, wet blanket, ice picky. I've tried many different speaker cabs and speaker combos. I did make some progress on channel 2 in the Crunch mode. As it was suggested to run the channel volume up around 2 o'clock I did notice the wet blanket effect go away. I'm still not getting a tone that I love. The cabinet that I am using is a EVH 212 with a WGS Reaper 50 and a ET65. Here is a picture of my settings for this channel.

AF1QipMtAN-fO_Z-Wy4WfyHUYQXSj7ruZZWmwZ_hUvRZ

I decided to try a Mesa 1x12 WideBody Closed Back Cabinet to see if I can get tones that are closer to all of the videos out there. One thing I have noticed is I have my bass dialed way back, which is what is the common suggestion on the forum here and the owner's manual. But if you watch some of the videos, especially the video from Sweetwater the tone controls are all at 12 o'clock and they are getting some great tones! I realize this is the Mark V 25 and they look to be using a Rectifier cab, but I should still be able to get in the ballpark with my rig. I'm not even close. The cabinet sounds fizzy to me and there is no warmth (with either cabinets).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWYrmZtMOA0&t=445s

I guess I'm looking for useful suggestions or guidance. I have thought about getting some JAN12AT7s and doing some tube swapping, but I'm not to sure if I'm on the right track. To me my settings don't have any warmth and thickness with clarity.

I guess I don't know what to do next. I really don't want to sell the amp and take a loss, but I'm not sure if the tube swap will get me to where I want to be. I know that there is a great post about if your Mark V doesn't sound good it's your playing, fair enough. There also is a post that states if you can't find a good tone in five minutes this isn't the amp for you. I hope I didn't just answer my own question.

Sorry to hear you are not bonding with the Mark V. I also just got a Mark V and had the opposite reaction from you. I have all Marshall and Marshall modded type amps. I.E. Marshall JMP 2203 , Marshall JCM800 2204 , Friedman BE100 and a Splawn Quickrod. I was able to trade an older ENGL SAVAGE 120 for a 2019 minty Mark V 90 head and didn't think twice. After playing it with the stock 6L6 ( it sounded very good) I wanted to try EL34s and this is where I feel the amp met all my tone taste. I'm set in Variac, Mark IV , 45 watt and triode mode. Mk2C+ had a very cool EVH brown sound to it. Maybe its the Marshall DNA in my blood that has me always wanting EL34 amps so it was an easy decision for me to set the Mark V up this way and I'm so glad I did. It may not be the answer for you but if you haven't tried it maybe you should. I really love this amp. It is so versatile and it adds a whole other world of tones for me to explore from my Marshall's. Whatever you decide I hope it works out for you.

Thanks for the response. I spent some more time last night with the Mark V and I am making some progress. I am still amazed at how my amp doesn't sound anything like the one in the videos. What I mean is in the videos the amp settings are all about 12 o'clock. If I do that I have so much flab and lack of clarity. I'm still struggling a bit with the wet blanket sound, although it has improved. I should mention that all of this is being done while in the 85 - 90 dB range. I have noticed that the amp takes on a different tone around the 100 dB mark. I am going to try putting a 10 band eq in the effects loop. Also I read where someone mentioned to run the effects loop around 1:30, I will also try this. At least the honeymoon isn't over.....yet.

Which channel are you mainly focusing on? If it's ch3 then 12 O'clock settings will sound naff. Bass very low, mids low and then work from there. Balance the presence and high EQ slider to work on the ice pick. I'd start with this on ch3. Ch1 and 2 are a bit more forgiving.

I have a good start on Channels 1 and 2. Still struggling with Channel 3. I'll post some settings of what I have tonight after work. I'm still struggling with the boxyness on Channels 2 and 3. I'm not sure if I just need to be patient and let the speaker break in or if there is something I'm overlooking here.

Can you post your settings? With the right settings, channel 3 produces all but a wet blanket sound.
Did you use the EQ sliders or the presets? The sliders are pretty powerful so personally I do not see why you would need an additional EQ in the loop.

For what it' worth I will share my setting for channel 3:

Mode: MK IV
EQ ON
90 W
Normal

Triode
90W
Loop active
FX send 10:00 (this helps to keep channel and master volume managable at bedroom volume)
Reverb 9:00

Gain 14:00
Channel volume 8:45 - 9:00
Trebble 13:00
Mid 9:00
Bass 9:00 (gain up = bass down)
Presence 12:30

EQ sliders
80 Hz between middle and top line, exactly in line with text "preset"
240 Hz just a little above the middle
750 Hz bottom side slider just above the bottom line
2200 Hz just a little below the middle line
6000 Hz at 1/3 rd between middle and top line

Master 8:45 - 9:00
Full power
6L6 tubes (and the settings for that)

This should give you a starting point, for informarion: I have a 1x12 Widebody closed cab (ported).
For me these settings work both with my Strat plus and Ibanez JEM777FP, sometimes I do make small adjustments.

Here’s my settings

Channel One

Fat
EQ off
45 Watt
Bold

G 12:00
M 3:00
P 9:15
T 12:00
M 1:30
B 9:15

Channel Two

Crunch
EQ off
45 Watt

G 11:30
M 2:00
P 11:00
T 3:00
M 1:00
B 7:00

Channel Three

Extreme
EQ On
Normal
44 Watt

G 2:00
M 1:00
P 11:00
T 1:30
M 11:30
B Off

GEQ

80hz above the middle even with the word preset
240hz bottom of knob even with middle line
750hz top of knob even with middle line
2200hz bottom of knob even with middle line
6600 hi even with middle line

Master 8:30
Full power
Effect 12:00

I tried your settings, still boxy. Did you change your preamp tubes? How long have you had your cabinet? When I turn the amp up it does sound much better, but this new cab is really boxy

A few observations / questions on your settings:
- the "M" after the "G" is the channel volume I think? You must push some serious volume!
- gain up = bass down es especially for channel 3 ( and bass always down on channel 2 MK I). Your bass settings are really low on those channels.
- you mention a wet blanket setting and you have presence low...did you try higher presence?
- you run your mids quite high, might be taste but for me that does not work

My pre amp tubes are stock, I bought my cab used from a guy who used it in a band situation so the speaker is broken in.

Channel 1:
20200620-082750.jpg

Channel 2:
20200620-082713.jpg

Channel 3:
20200620-082408.jpg

EQ:
20200620-082339.jpg

I think your master is too low. You are probably better off in 45 watt mode with master around 10 o’clock. There is an initial sweet spot with the master that you can hear a volume jump. Keep it right around that point.

I run et65 plus vet30 in a port city 2x12 cab and its a very good speaker combo (specifically for the mark v).

I think you are strangling the amp with the fx loop level down and master down. Start with the fx loop at noon and master higher, get a good tone then come back down a bit.

iceman said:
I think your master is too low. You are probably better off in 45 watt mode with master around 10 o’clock

Thanks, I tried the 45W and increased channel volume and that seems to work. I don't want to run the FX loop too hot because otherwise the output pot becomes too touch sensitive for playing at low volume levels in the evening, and I have a Flashback in the loop that does not like an input signal that is too hot.

My reason for posting was to help the OP with finding decent tone, I was happy with mine but good advise is always apprieciated!

Jeronimo said:
- the "M" after the "G" is the channel volume I think? You must push some serious volume!
- gain up = bass down es especially for channel 3 ( and bass always down on channel 2 MK I). Your bass settings are really low on those channels.
- you mention a wet blanket setting and you have presence low...did you try higher presence?

My pre amp tubes are stock, I bought my cab used from a guy who used it in a band situation so the speaker is broken in.

Channel 1:
20200620-082750.jpg

Channel 2:
20200620-082713.jpg

Channel 3:
20200620-082408.jpg

EQ:
20200620-082339.jpg

"- the "M" after the "G" is the channel volume I think? You must push some serious volume!"
Yes, The M stands for Volume. I'm actually trying to get a good tone at a lower volume, which is why I have the channel volumes up and the Master volume down. I tried it the other way around and couldn't get the channels to come to life, I guess not enough power amp with that setting.

"- gain up = bass down es especially for channel 3 ( and bass always down on channel 2 MK I). Your bass settings are really low on those channels."
For me all of the Mark settings are EXTREMELY dark. I am going to try moving the amp into the living room today. The practice room has some serious sound deadening (which I didn't even think of until this morning) and I am going to see if I can push a little more volume. I can tell that I want to really like one of the Mark settings if I can get a setting where it's not all dark and muddy.

"- you mention a wet blanket setting and you have presence low...did you try higher presence?"
I've tried bringing the presence up, things start to get fizzy. I am going to try more presence and lower the mids a bit and also the treble.

Here's a song that has a tone that I think is doable with one of the Mark settings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzLyIIAyBs0

I do believe Warren is playing Soldanos on this track.

I do think that this amp's character will change drastically with a little more stage volume.

"- the "M" after the "G" is the channel volume I think? You must push some serious volume!"
For me all of the Mark settings are EXTREMELY dark. I am going to try moving the amp into the living room today. The practice room has some serious sound deadening (which I didn't even think of until this morning) and I am going to see if I can push a little more volume. I can tell that I want to really like one of the Mark settings if I can get a setting where it's not all dark and muddy.

[/quote]

It really surprises me that all the mark settings are extremely dark? On my amp that only applies to the MK I on channel 2, definitely not on channel 3.

Yeah, I haven't found any of the Mark setting that aren't dark and muddy. I am going to try pushing some volume through the amp today and also try a few different cabinets, I'll report back later. I'm also going to try your setting again today and see what results I get

Jeronimo said:

I got in a pair of JAN Phillips 12AT7WC tubes, put them in V4 and V7. Made a definite improvement in channel two. I’m using the Mark I setting, it’s still a bit dark, but I’m making some headway. Here is a pic of my settings for channel one and two

[https://i.postimg.cc/SRQzN2kr/6-C9005-EF-7-D5-E-4569-B989-AED79-DEC66-A3.jpg/img]

[img][https://i.postimg.cc/vmRgxSGD/29851713-190-D-40-E7-9-D22-3-CF63-D003751.jpg/img]

Of course now I’m struggling with channel three, I did not try your settings, I’ll try that tomorrow.

I definitely do not like the C90 speaker. I like the cabinet, but it is boxy sounding. Not too sure what to do there, maybe play around some more and see what happens.

Howdy!

I have been struggling also with combo amps using C90. First I had Mark III combo which was ... temperamental :lol: later on I moved it to head chassis and it was tonally superior in every way.

Later on in my path of gear swapping I’ve come to a conclusion that the C90 is not compatible with my ears :shock: always a bit muddy and honky and having strange playing feel (stiff).

If you have a possibility to try some different speaker/cab with the amp it could help with your struggle :shock:
V30 is my favourite but it could be overpowered in the MK V

So you already started the tube rolling thing? Hope it works out for you.
I see you have the EQ on on channels 1 and 2? Do you use the sliders or the preset? Settings on the EQ sliders are in most cases optimised for channel 3.

Hey Man,

I can totally relate......I’m pretty keen on the rectumfier and have had my roadster since ‘08 I think and thought I would blend it with a Mark IV, have always wanted a MIV but thought the latest and greatest had to have been better and bought a head MV without spending a decent amount of time on a MV. I’m on your side I think the amp lacks on CH 3 but I’ll keep the amp just for channels 1 and 2. Channel 2 is the shiz for me personally. I’ve had the amp since late ‘11 or ‘12 and as soon as I had it home I couldn’t get the channels to line up with the thinness of CH 3. Most likely user error but I would like to think after 7 or 8 yrs I would have a decent handle on how to tie it all together. Horses for courses but all in all I have good days with the amp then I have great days........ much like a marriage :lol:

Good luck champ.

Different amp, but it may affect your situation- I found my Mark Five:25 to sound pretty dull and lifeless unless I turn up the channel masters and use an attenuator with it (when required).

Jeronimo said:
So you already started the tube rolling thing? Hope it works out for you.
I see you have the EQ on on channels 1 and 2? Do you use the sliders or the preset? Settings on the EQ sliders are in most cases optimised for channel 3.

The eq is on preset for those channels. I actually tweaked channel two, here is my new settings

Mark I
EQ on
90 watt
Normal mode

G 1:30
M 2:30
P 2:30
T 2:45
M 9:00
B off

Gives more of a classic rock sound. Now onto that **** speaker!

Hardy said:
Hey Man,

I can totally relate......I’m pretty keen on the rectumfier and have had my roadster since ‘08 I think and thought I would blend it with a Mark IV, have always wanted a MIV but thought the latest and greatest had to have been better and bought a head MV without spending a decent amount of time on a MV. I’m on your side I think the amp lacks on CH 3 but I’ll keep the amp just for channels 1 and 2. Channel 2 is the shiz for me personally. I’ve had the amp since late ‘11 or ‘12 and as soon as I had it home I couldn’t get the channels to line up with the thinness of CH 3. Most likely user error but I would like to think after 7 or 8 yrs I would have a decent handle on how to tie it all together. Horses for courses but all in all I have good days with the amp then I have great days........ much like a marriage :lol:

Good luck champ.

Thanks, I’m going to spend some time today and try to get something happening with channel three. I’ve had my ups and downs with this channel, just like a marriage.

Latest posts

Back