Older Mark V 90w vs New Mark V 90w

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junosist

Reaction score
Hi everyone
Need some advise. Thinking about buying used Mark V however I have two choices, one being an older Mark V (w older footswitch) vs newer unit only a couple months old (w new footswitch). Concern being one is about $500 more than the other. I have read a few forums that speak to some upgrades to the power supply and other various circuits but nothing definitive that would lead one to lean either way. Is one any better than the other? Any opinion and or facts on this matter is much appreciated.. thanks

I can only offer an opinion, but based on what the Mesa tech emailed me they claim there has been no change to the circuitry since the introduction of the Mark V. that being said, there has been a lot of discussion over the last couple years about some "ice pick" type of overtone on the Mark V, especially channel 3. Some of this is said to be cured by substituting in AT7 tubes in the V4 and/or V6 positions. The point is, it seems most of the ice-pickiness comments have been with older Mark Vs. So, maybe something was changed, or there was a suspect batch of components back then. Maybe it is all just a made up conspiracy.

Personally, I own a 2012 model (maybe late 2011 manufacture) and I would be curious to hear it side by side with a new one. I think having an old one and new one for a month and doing a comparison over weeks would be helpful. I've honestly thought of just getting a second one to do just this. But alas...not enough funds.

It is worth considering what a warranty is worth. $500 is right in that sweet spot where it makes it a hard decision. $300 wouldn’t be enough savings to not get a warranty. $700 probably would be worth it. Don’t forget to consider how old the tubes are also. Either way It’s a great amp.

There was definitely a problem with some diodes in the power supply; my amp has a date of 10/31/2013 and experienced this failure (fixed under warranty). I don’t know how prevalent it was, but it was a known issue.

As others have mentioned, the transferable warranty is another consideration.

Mine was built mid-2009. So it's almost 11 years old.
During that time, I have had a couple of relays replaced and the power section "updated" by Mesa under warranty.
This is my main rig. For $500 extra, using hindsight as my guide, it is way worth it to have the transferred warranty just in case.

What are the footswitch differences between the old an newer version? I wasn't aware they ever changed.

Junosist said:
Hi everyone
Need some advise. Thinking about buying used Mark V however I have two choices, one being an older Mark V (w older footswitch) vs newer unit only a couple months old (w new footswitch). Concern being one is about $500 more than the other. I have read a few forums that speak to some upgrades to the power supply and other various circuits but nothing definitive that would lead one to lean either way. Is one any better than the other? Any opinion and or facts on this matter is much appreciated.. thanks

jb's 52 said:
For $500 extra, using hindsight as my guide, it is way worth it to have the transferred warranty just in case.

The warranty on a new Mesa amp is no longer transferable. My new Mark Five:25 has the date 12/17/19 on it and came with a non-transferable warranty, so that goes back at least that far. junosist may want to look into that.

Definitely will. So how would one go about verifying the year the amp was made? Pardon the dumb question, I have owned rack mount gear since I can remember. So not too familiar with the tube heads other than to say every one I have ever played, there’s just something about it that I neeeeed in my life!!! Lololol internet shopping on this thing and I’d like to know if the serial number or some other identifying number would verify that manufacturing year. Thanks again!!

The newer amps have a date written on the chassis near the serial number tag. Also, I think Mesa can tell you if you tell them the serial number.

Oh, and if the owner has the warranty that came with the amp, it'll say if it's transferable or only for the original owner.

Perfect thanks. Do you know if the the two foot switches are compatible with both newer and older models?

Junosist said:
Perfect thanks. Do you know if the the two foot switches are compatible with both newer and older models?

Unfortunately, my advice was about Mesa amps in general. I don't have a Mark V 90 watt. I have a Mark V:25 combo.

Greetings from France.

Big boogie fan here.

I have an opportunity on a nice mark V from the older era, around 2010. Is there anything particular to check?

The amp has been used by a touring musician but not heavily played. Regularly checked by a professional (Last check a few months ago) and very well cared.

Thanks

I think mine is a 2009. Bought it new around early 2010 I think. Never had a problem with it. Crank it all the time using an attenuator at home. Also been using EL34’s for most of those years which some say are risky unless on Tweed power. But no issue here. Haven’t had an issue with any tubes accept with a noisy V1 I replaced about 5-6 years ago. Haven’t played a recent one in a store as, why bother when you already have one. Some settings are ice picky on channel two, when using edge but I can usually dial around it.

Junosist said:

Hi, my footswitch from 2011 was lost during a repair. The repair place gave me a brand new footswitch and it works just fine with my 2011 amp. The new ones just looks a little different because they are all black and more rounded.

espcustom-fr said:
Greetings from France.

Big boogie fan here.

I have an opportunity on a nice mark V from the older era, around 2010. Is there anything particular to check?

The amp has been used by a touring musician but not heavily played. Regularly checked by a professional (Last check a few months ago) and very well cared.

Thanks

Hi, it would be a good idea to check out everything! And, with all the knobs etc. it can take a bit of time and it is difficult not to forget something.

I would make sure all wattages and and all channels work. I would make sure all knobs turn smooth and do not make static. Be sure to check the pentode/triode switches on the back. Make sure the footswitch works (all buttons) and that the EQ switches on properly (or stays off, or stays on - depending on the EQ switch on each channel). Make sure the reverb works on all channels. Make sure there is no buzzing or humming or strange sounds on any setting.

Make sure all the outputs work (speaker connections). You can use a 8 ohm cab to check all of them.

When switching channels with the footswitch you will hear a slight "pop" and this is normal.

As far as the tubes, they may or may not need replaced but I'd just make sure they all work.

Enjoy!

mace said:
I can only offer an opinion, but based on what the Mesa tech emailed me they claim there has been no change to the circuitry since the introduction of the Mark V. that being said, there has been a lot of discussion over the last couple years about some "ice pick" type of overtone on the Mark V, especially channel 3. Some of this is said to be cured by substituting in AT7 tubes in the V4 and/or V6 positions. The point is, it seems most of the ice-pickiness comments have been with older Mark Vs. So, maybe something was changed, or there was a suspect batch of components back then. Maybe it is all just a made up conspiracy.

Personally, I own a 2012 model (maybe late 2011 manufacture) and I would be curious to hear it side by side with a new one. I think having an old one and new one for a month and doing a comparison over weeks would be helpful. I've honestly thought of just getting a second one to do just this. But alas...not enough funds.

Just another data point FWIW... I bought a well cared for V:90, there is a hand written 9/12/11 next to SN, so it's an early version. Did swap V4 with JAN 12AT7WC and that noticeably smoothed out Ch 3 by reducing the harsh treble. Personally I never experienced the Ch3 "ice pick" overtone. The tubes appear to be original, did end up replacing the rectifier tube which eliminated some background crackling that was present until it had fully warmed up. Otherwise it's been rock solid and truly amazing, a tone tweakers dream amp. :)

mace said:
When switching channels with the footswitch you will hear a slight "pop" and this is normal.

You should only get popping on channel changes if you have one of the channels set to 10 Watts and you change to a channel that is not set to 10 watts and vice versa. All my channel switching is quiet between channels and 45 and 90 settings including with tube rec selected for 45.

Yea thanks... finally found one on FB market place one owner recently replaced 6l6 tubes, physically beautifully all knob turns were smooth, all speaker outlets work, went through the switches just as mentioned and the best thing about it was that the seller let it go for a couple hundred dollars less than the cheapest one I found on Reverb.. loving it!!

Back