Yea... That Virus causing us to stay at home...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldTelecasterMan

Reaction score
I am really getting the bug (so to speak) to play out live again. It has been over two years not stepping on stage and getting, as John Mayor said "That feeling of flying". I'm a fan (small case) of John but I would listen to many other guitarists over him. Much of what I have seen of him live really looks pushed. He plays very well but he never looks or sounds like he is having fun. When he is not just regurgitating what is on the recording, which he does flawlessly, it always looks as though he is searching for something that he thinks the audience will think is cool. In doing this search he ends up doing little syncopated riffs that never end up in a complete sentence, so to speak. He never tells the story. It is as though he can't jam. He can't just have fun.

The Crossroads video of John Mayor and Keith Urban really showed this. Keith found chords and leads in John Mayor's songs that were very cool. From the look on John's face he was quite taken with it.

IMO. All the Music knowledge, understanding of theory in the world and technical ability don't make someone that everyone would want to listen to.

Super board in California. Oh yea.... Mark V... I'm going to heat up my Mark V tubes today maybe record something. I have some song bits I want to lay down. I also just purchased a Drum Kit (5 piece Pearl white Gretsch with double offset kick pedal and Custom "A" Zildjian cymbals and mics) so I'm learning how to make real drums sound good in a recording or at least not sound crappy.

Well ..... Kieth has always been a very animated performer and John has always been more subdued.
That part doesn't concern me much but I do agree that as good as John is, Keith is even better.
I'm not much of a country guy but Keith is one of the few country artists I enjoy just because he really is all that.
Probably the most versatile guitarist in all of country music.
More so than Brad, Vince, Glenn, Roy, Merle, whomever you choose to name.

Wow, Urban a better player than Mayer?! I have to respectfully dissent on this one.

We were suppose to have a gig last Saturday night, so yeah, playing by myself stinks but it's for the greater good and all.
I did save $53.43 not gigging though...hahaha!! ;)

John Mayer would be one of my all time favourite guitarist on the planet however I can only tolerate some of his songs - ie - I reckon I would have listened to Live at the Nokia 2007 album over & over & over again countless times, even on Blu-ray I would watch it - it is faultless, absolute perfection from front to back. But some of the other stuff nah - not so good - he is also very quirky and sometimes hard to watch but I guess some people are like that -

Keith is also an unbelievable guitarist more so subdued on albums though - I love that they both can play it in any key all over the neck - musically they just know how to do it-

Stay safe everyone - I'm in Australia and the virus is making its way across our continent - although we have a vast area of non populated land so hopefully we will get through this relatively quickly.

Casey

Back