Anybody got some settings to try for a 7 string?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick_Sanchez

Reaction score
I got my first 7 string for all things metal sounding and looking for anybody who's set their Mark V for this?

I'm still getting some muddy low end so would be keen to see what you're all using.

Am playing through an Ibanez RGD with Dimarzio Fusion Humbuckers.

On the 90w Mark V I used Channel 2 Crunch mode for 7 strings. Keeps the heavy but gets rid of the mud.

Gain: Max
Treble: Max
Mid: 2oclock
Bass: 9-10oclock
Presensce: 10oclock
GEQ: On / V shape

Keep in mind I play at low volume so these settings may not translate well for high volume. Of course you could tweak to compensate if it doesn't. I would expect you'd reduce presence and the 6600 slider if you go loud.

I have an Ibanez RG 7 string and I use CH3 IIC+ mode in Bright with the Treble and Mid at 12:00 and the Bass at about 9:30. The Presence and Gain at about 1:30 and the GEQ in the “V”, of course.
This was similar to the sound on Dark Eternal Night (Dream Theater).
BUT!,...
Not until I lowered the action on the top side of the bridge (the lower 2 or 3 strings, BEA) so that they “rattle” somewhat. Of course, you have to “attack” the string somewhat. The rattle, with some distortion (not a ton of distortion, notice the gain is just past 12:00), seems to create some of those higher harmonics. I actually found that more gain starts to “smooth” out the “growl” at the start of the note (while the string is still rattling) and it doesn’t sound as good.

I would even say, IMO, that the string buzz is more important than the amp settings for the type of growl I am referring to as is creates those higher harmonics. When I received the guitar from Sweetwater, the action was actually nice, but almost no buzz at all on the low strings and it just sounded flubby. So, again the rattle was a big discovery for me.

I am not pro and who knows what else the pros do on the albums but this got me close enough to be satisfied with the sound.

Many thanks to both of you - I have written those down and am going to have a go at both today. Will report back.

Thaymz said:
On the 90w Mark V I used Channel 2 Crunch mode for 7 strings. Keeps the heavy but gets rid of the mud.

Gain: Max
Treble: Max
Mid: 2oclock
Bass: 9-10oclock
Presensce: 10oclock
GEQ: On / V shape

Keep in mind I play at low volume so these settings may not translate well for high volume. Of course you could tweak to compensate if it doesn't. I would expect you'd reduce presence and the 6600 slider if you go loud.

Am digging it, did you get this from the Petrucci video? Gee that sounds badass.

Nope. Endless tweaking.

Sounds great doesn’t it? So wide sounding, super powerful and works great for 7s. It’s almost like shred mode on the JP2C but very dry... In the best way.

Latest posts

Back