Tweed and Edge Mode Discovery

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlpasco

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
The sample set of ten watt settings in the manual on page 7 sound good (Tweed, Edge, and Extreme modes) but Tweed and Edge really break up nicely on variac power. I came back to them after turning on full power and initially thought "where did the gain go?".

Switched back to variac and they sounded great, without any eq.

Ah, here it is, from page 33:

In Channel 1 the high end of the GAIN control produces some great “clipped clean” sounds as the Input stage gives it up and starts to saturate. These sounds are further enhanced by the 45 and 10 Watt Power Modes and the VARIAC POWER setting on the Front Panel POWER switch.

A lot of this stuff is right there in the manual, it just comes across as a little understated.

I’ve found that with both Tweed and Edge modes, the secret seems to be lower-than-usual treble settings. These two modes function very differently than the rest of the amp, and they seem to give up the best tones when there’s not a lot of treble loading the circuit... a little push on the 4th slider of the EQ makes up for it. And, as you said, Variac power is a must.

I was in a 50s and 60s band for 8 years. I lived exclusively on Tweed mode. I used all power settings, including Variac from the front panel. I never had a tone I didn't like! I also played around a bit with using the GEQ, but only with preset mode. I kept discovering variances in sounds that just made me smile over. I also found that a Celestion Redback in a single open back cab was just as delightful as an EVM, but for completely different sonic reasons. The V is just so diverse; it truly IS the Swiss Army Knife of amps.

Latest posts

Back