New boogie

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zolimer

Reaction score
Hey everybody. I've been itching for one of these Mark v's for The last six or seven years.

I finally picked one up used at Sweetwater. Here's a video of my initial reaction to the amp.

It was really late so I wasn't able to really open it up at all. I'll have to wait till Sunday to do that.

https://youtu.be/MA2OYIEmCrU

Congratulations Zolimer!
Well done indeed to the banker for approving that one. 8)
You're gonna be one happy family this 2020.

Thanks Markageddon. I know I am going to
Have a wonderful time playing this amp!

I work 12 1/2 hour shifts at work and have a 45 minute commute each way So I haven't had much time to play this amp, about an hour last night and an hour tonight. But I will be off Sunday and Monday and I plan on trying to wear this thing out!

I have a DC5 and I love it, but this Mark v takes everything to a whole new level. This amplifier inspires me! Hopefully it will bring my playing to a whole new level. I'm pretty sure that it will though

****, turned The output volume up to 11 o'clock. And blew a fuse. This one's going back to Sweetwater!

This really sucks!

I would like to do that. I do have some spare tubes from when I had a dual rectifier and I have two sets of matched 6l6 tubes from a dual rectifier tube change out and that would be enough to troubleshoot this but I can't find any fuses in the town I live in. Specifically 4 amp slow blow fuses.

Would I be OK just using a 4 amp AGC fuse that I can find at the auto parts store?

zolimer said:
I would like to do that. I do have some spare tubes from when I had a dual rectifier and I have two sets of matched 6l6 tubes from a dual rectifier tube change out and that would be enough to troubleshoot this but I can't find any fuses in the town I live in. Specifically 4 amp slow blow fuses.

Would I be OK just using a 4 amp AGC fuse that I can find at the auto parts store?

Bring the blown fuse with ya and check it for size. I found that the AllParts fuse to be a little smaller than the one's I got from Mesa and they caused the amp to go in and out. I wouldn't mess with AGC though, Mesa recommends slow blow for a reason.

jb's 52 said:
zolimer said:

Bring the blown fuse with ya and check it for size. I found that the AllParts fuse to be a little smaller than the one's I got from Mesa and they caused the amp to go in and out. I wouldn't mess with AGC though, Mesa recommends slow blow for a reason.

Yeah I figured I should use the slo blo type. I was able to find a pack of four amp time delay fuses which Grainger says on its website are the same thing as slo blo.

I did contact Sweetwater about it via email on Sunday and got a call from somebody there a sales engineer and he said he would start a service ticket for me and that was 1030 yesterday when I spoke to him. But I've yet to hear from the service department.

I bought a lot of stuff from Sweetwater it's kind of unusual for them to take this long but maybe they got slammed after Christmas. Who knows but if I don't hear from them by 1 o'clock tomorrow I'm going to go ahead and call them.

Hopefully it's just a bad tube!

If you'd care to say: How much did you pay for a 'used' MkV combo @ Sweetwater?

I've had plenty of good experiences with the company, but they seem to rarely have used stuff.

I bought my 2009 MkV combo used from the 2nd owner last summer.

I strongly recommend changing the fuse and/or tubes before shipping that thing back. My guess is it's a glitch that you be able to resolve at home.

Please keep us posted!

JD1965 said:
If you'd care to say: How much did you pay for a 'used' MkV combo @ Sweetwater?

I've had plenty of good experiences with the company, but they seem to rarely have used stuff.

I bought my 2009 MkV combo used from the 2nd owner last summer.

I strongly recommend changing the fuse and/or tubes before shipping that thing back. My guess is it's a glitch that you be able to resolve at home.

Please keep us posted!

I paid $2200 before taxes. I went ahead and just ordered some fuses from Mesa this morning.
So it'll probably be sometime next week when I get those. I got ten on the way.

I might just take the fuse out of my DC 5 and change all the output tubes and the rectifier tube until then.

I bought a lot of stuff from Sweetwater and generally been pretty happy. I did get a call from the tech this morning but he said he doesn't think they sell those fuses.

We'll see what happens. I will keep you posted

The only time I've blown a tube in the Mark V was also a rectifier tube gone bad. The rectifier tube would also "blue spark" right when turning off standby. At that time I was practicing in an old farm house with really crappy wiring. You could hear the electric fence (outside in the cow field) pulses clicking through the amps and PA. Anyhoo, I'd concur with the other poster...change the rectifier tube and fuse and give it another go.

Back in bidniz.Here's what I did. Took the fuse out of my DC 5, switched out 5ug rectifier tube(per mace's story), checked each tube one at the time using the standby switch trick and found a bad output tube.

When I get my fuses next week I'll go ahead and test out that rectifier tube. Here's a quick video I made just to kind of test it out a little bit, output volume is it 10 o'clock.

https://youtu.be/-B4QWengceU

I've been cranking this amp up today. Sweetwater is sending me two sets of matched six L6 tubes and I couldn't be happier!

Congrats on the new amp! Purchased one from Sweetwater just before the holidays. I try hard to bond with Boogies but can struggle. Re-tubed mine with a kit from Eurotubes (6L6). Ordered EL-34L's as well that Eurotubes dialed in for use with a Mark V, popped them in, flipped the bias switch and it is pretty gnarly. Liking this amp with EL-34's.

Some have stated the cleans suffer but sounded good with a Strat this morning. Hopefully the bond will grow. Have fun with your Mesa (glad your issue was resolved).

Dave

DC42 said:
Congrats on the new amp! Purchased one from Sweetwater just before the holidays. I try hard to bond with Boogies but can struggle. Re-tubed mine with a kit from Eurotubes (6L6). Ordered EL-34L's as well that Eurotubes dialed in for use with a Mark V, popped them in, flipped the bias switch and it is pretty gnarly. Liking this amp with EL-34's.

Some have stated the cleans suffer but sounded good with a Strat this morning. Hopefully the bond will grow. Have fun with your Mesa (glad your issue was resolved).

Dave

I don't have a Strat, but I do have the PRS silver sky and I do seem like this amp a little bit better right now with the single coils at the moment.

Seems to me like you can dial in a really good sound with one guitar and then you switch to another guitar and you have to start tweaking again. It doesn't really take me that long to find a good sound with any guitar though to be honest.

I think that it really just does come down to experimenting and getting to know the manual to see how all the controls interact with each other. Minor adjustments can change the sound in a big way. Typical boogie!

A lot of people complain about the ice pick sound and I hear it a little bit, but I just roll back on my tone knob a little bit and that seems to do the trick for me.

By the way, congrats on your new amp Dave!

Back