Channel 2 Mark 1 mode secret

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timothymartin220

Reaction score
I have been reading this topic for a while and tried to find the "secret" to getting that wet blanket sound out of Mark 1 mode on channel 2. I have run across many people referring to this "secret" but they almost always say they won't tell. Well, after 5 months of working with my Mark v I have discovered the secret to bringing the treble back. (some have actually told the secret, I found after discovering it on my own, but it is buried in lengthy threads, so I decided to try and post an actual topic with the answer so maybe others won't have as much trouble finding it.) To balance the tone of channel 2 Mark I mode so you can use it more like the other channels(without having to really skew the eq to just one channel), make sure the effects loop is on and the global volume is turned down somewhat, then turn the master on channel 2 up to between 3 and 5 o'clock(or 3/4 - full volume). You will hear the treble come back into the circuit and it will now behave more like the other channels(in terms of eq, so no more skewing the eq just for channel 2 and screwing the sound of the other channels). I don't know why it is like this but I hope this helps others who are being driven nuts by this issue. This is an amazing amp and some people seem to think that using the effects loop changes the sound(I don't, I just think it gives you better master volume control) so those purists would not come by this solution(who maxes the volume on a 90 watt amp without a master volume? Soon to be deaf people do, that is who!)

Hello...I just posted about the dark bass sound channel 2 M1 tone (comments at a youtube demo). Just purchase a Mark V this week and will try your recommendations for sure. Please feel free to share other ideas regarding other channels. Appreciate it.

Dave

Yeah...channel 2 / mark I mode has been my nemesis.
I thought I tried this, but will try again. Thanks for the tips!

The truth is my post was quick and simplistic(I know it was wordy, for me that was simple). This channel is even deeper than most on this amp(and that is saying a whole lot, because I have found that each mode is like a really killer amp in its flexibility and sound). Looked at one way, all settings at noon, it is what it was supposed to be from what I have heard, Carlos Santana with no effort, uniquely tailored to a creamier tone than any other channel(more than possibly to directly contrast what they did with edge being bright and chimey). I find that if I balance out the frequencies that are more predominant, then the channel brightens up(a brighter low gain tone is had with bass zero'd, mid zero'd, and volume and gain matched at 10-10:30, use your volume to clean it up even more. (and for those that cannot get edge channel, try dropping the treble to 9:00, it is a great starting point to a really killer crunch sound). Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back