Mark V Combo - Speaker Change

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bodhisattva

Reaction score
New to the board and new to the Mark V family. Got the Wicker/Bubinga combo , I've wanted that look since i was a kid.

Love this amp, i don't think any piece of gear has made me play this much in years.
Not crazy about this treble thing i'm having trouble dialing out of the speaker.
I've done some research and it seems that people have good results with a V30 instead of a C90.
Can you give me your input if you've made that change?

Thanks

(there's a warehouse Veteran 30 here in town for $50 that i may try out)
Other amps, Marshall Origin and a Fender Tweed Deluxe.
Playing through a les paul and an SG with custombuckers.

I went from a combo w/C90 to a head w/V30s in a 2x12 cab.
To my ears, the V30s seem to give more treble (or maybe it's just "brighter") than the C90.
I like the change though because it cuts better with a band and I felt that it added more "clarity" to my sound.

Apeman, I'm seeing that speaker as rated as 60 watts (https://wgsusa.com/vet30)

Wouldn't we need a speaker rated for 90 watts in the combo?

I ask because I'm still not content with 'taming the treble' in this fine amp and am open to trying a speaker change.

Any help appreciated.

JD1965 said:
I ask because I'm still not content with 'taming the treble' in this fine amp and am open to trying a speaker change.

The newer Mesa 6L6 441s will round out the treble too. Might be worth a try if you're re-tubing soon.

jb's 52 said:
JD1965 said:

The newer Mesa 6L6 441s will round out the treble too. Might be worth a try if you're re-tubing soon.

https://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=85042#p523732 -Yep....as noted here!

But to be fair, I now have a 90w Wide Body 8 ohm closed back cabinet splitting the signal with the 90w speaker in open back cabinet that is the combo.
Having that open back cabinet up a couple feet closer to my ears is still too treble-y/shrill for my taste. I'd like a recommendation of a 90w 8 ohm speaker that will be less treble-y sounding than the stock speaker - any help appreciated!

Sounds like you might be a prime candidate for a Celestion G12K-100

Latest posts

Back