Settings to improve guitar volume control

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

griff3

Reaction score
There are times when my Mark V isn't as responsive as I'd like to changes in my guitar's volume pot...

Just thought I'd ask if anyone has any settings tweaks to improve that behavior?

Thanks!

griff3 said:
There are times when my Mark V isn't as responsive as I'd like to changes in my guitar's volume pot...

Just thought I'd ask if anyone has any settings tweaks to improve that behavior?

Thanks!
It would be helpful to know a bit about your guitar and rig. What is the guitar and pickups you are using? Is there any special switching? Are you using pedals in front of the amp? Are you dealing with primarily your clean tone? Crunch tone? High gain lead?

I think Extreme mode rolls off nice with lower guitar volume. Maybe because it has some added bass? I find the ‘pleasingness’ of the volume roll off is also very dependent on pick-ups.

Very high gain/drive levels are not conducive to controlling your tone with your guitar's volume control.

You might note that those amps that are best known for that trick are all medium or lower gain by modern standards.

If you have so much gain that the slightest movement of the string is amplified to the point of distortion, you have no dynamic range left to play with.

griff3 said:

Thanks!

Well. Personally I have found that adding treble makes the volume control more usable if the guitar doesn’t have treble bleed.. if the tone is too bright when guitar volume is maxed then one can use guitar tone control to make it mellower

I’m sure there are great options using ch1 and 2, but this is the best example I’ve found from channel 3. Agree with previous posts that you may get the best result out of Extreme mode. Whenever I’ve tried c+ or IV mode it just didn’t do the trick.

https://youtu.be/B1YANbeMsrI

Thanks everyone, I see I'll have to spend some more time with Extreme.

I have a couple of dozen different guitars. some with treble bleed, some without, various pickup configurations. I'm cool with some working better than others.

What I was noticing is that, compared to my Egnaters or Marshalls, the Boogie just didn't respond as well going from a higher gain tone (classic metal a la Priest or Iron Maiden is about my limit most of the time) to clean with just the volume alone. The Egnater is the best, and that's my benchmark, so I'll try bringing down the gain on Extreme mode and see if I can get closer. So far I've mostly used Crunch on channel 2 (but with the gain pretty high, 3PM or higher often) or Channel 3 in the IIC+ mode. The IIC+ mode brings in the mids that I like, but doesn't respond as well to volume control.

Thanks!

Extreme is an odd name for that channel, in my opinion. As others have noted here (and I think it is accurate based on my ears) Extreme has less gain than Mark IV mode. Extreme implies like extreme crazy gain. At any rate, it does have different sonics but to my ear they don't sound "extreme" to me. As usual with this amp, let yours ears do the guiding with dialing (and not eyes or names of channels and dials).

it definitely has less gain at the same Tonestack settings but it does sound inherently more powerful, and has the gain if you crank Gain and Treble controls.

But agree, the name suggests just crazy levels of gain.

Latest posts

Back