External compressor you use w/your Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD1965

Reaction score
Good Day All,

My longtime stompbox compressor quit on me last night.

What do you recommend for giving some extra compression to lead work?

Any help appreciated.

JD

I've gigged a Carl Martin Compressor Limiter for about 6 years now and I would replace it if it were to quit on me. Good Luck

I’ve been using the Cali76 Compact Deluxe. A nice pedal for sure, but it ain’t cheap.

I have a Keeley that I used to like quite a lot.
I found it to be much warmer and more natural sounding than BOSS or MXR units I had previously but all of them added noise, even the Keeley.
I think f/x like compression are the first indications of digital eventually surpassing analogue.
Digital keeps getting better all the time but it still has a ways to go on quite a few other kinds of f/x.
Compression seems to me to be an early victory for digital as does EQ.
You can crank in quite a bit of compression with nowhere near as much noise as analogue units.
EQ as well.
I have a Source Audio that literally kills any other EQ I ever tried.

I use a Strymon OB.1 compressor. Keeps the tone uncolored and is not very noisy. Sustain is good too and it also has a clean boost. Works with bass too but got it mainly for use with a Stratocaster. Never really needed the compressor with the Mark V but once I tried it, hard to play without it.

Latest posts

Back