Carlos Santana Tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD1965

Reaction score
Hi all,

Seeking your thoughts on what is the best Santana LP/CD to purchase to hear what the man can do with a Boogie.

JD

I would have to say "Amigos," if for no other reason than that the song, "Europa" is on there. I can't think of a more beautiful piece by Santana, or, for that matter, anyone else. When i heard the song years ago and was given to understand that he was playing through a Boogie (I believe a Mark I), I wanted one desperately, but couldn't afford it. You know how it is when your take is like $50 at the end of the night...

As fortune would have it, a few months later, a friend of mine was going to Japan for a month and asked if I would like to borrow his Mesa Boogie. (I honestly don't remember the model, but it was a head with a 2x12 cab). Talk about a rhetorical question! I was living in a little one-room cabin in the woods at that time, and of course embraced this amazing opportunity. I had never played through a Boogie before, and from the first notes, it was heaven. I dedicated myself to learning Europa. I had a white SG back then with a couple of hot Dimarzio pickups. I could not believe the beauty of the tone and oh my God, the sustain! Nothing I had ever played through even came close.

Now, thankfully, I'm in a position to afford one, and I am going to get a Mark V 25 fairly soon (I have already acquired a Mesa California Tweed 23 1x12 cab and it's awesome).

Latest posts

Back