Mark V: No Front Lights, No Fan, Just a Hum from the Speaker

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giz-Tone

Reaction score
Hey lads, I need help here.

I was playing through my amp when the power started to flick on an off. It finally died on me, leaving no lights coming on on the front, bias warning light on the back works though. The fan doesn't come on. There's a hum from the speaker.

I pulled all the tubes, same problem.
I changed the rectifier tube, same problem.
I changed each preamp tube one at a time with a know working spare, same problem.
I have a pair of matched working power tubes. I switched the pair of them into the two sets of matched power tube slots. Same problem.
I changed the fuse a few times, same problem.
I changed the power lead, same problem.

Any ideas or help would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the info. Do you have a list of Authorized Mesa repair stations in Europe?

Good to know. Thanks for your help. I'm out of sorts at the moment with my amp dead, and having no authorized Boogie repair centre in my country. Do I go the cheaper and maybe hazardous road of going to a local repair guy, or fork out big money and ship it abroad. It's hard to know what to do.

What would cause the diodes in the LV power supply to fail? I'd like to prevent the fault from happening again.

I'm no electrical expert but I would say it's the nature of the beast unfortunately. It's a very complicated price of equipment with hundreds of parts in a very harsh environment. Components can and do fail, in all amps. What country are you in? I would recommend using an official service centre, but, ask locally if anyone can recommend a good tech. I had to use a local tech recommended to me and they where top notch.

Thanks a million Authorized Boogie. The fault was exactly as you said.

I got the amp fixed by a local tech. Cyril Ryan of Audiotronix, Galway, Ireland.

Ireland doesn't have any Authorized Tech, but Cyril is the go to guy by all accounts. I'd recommend him to everyone, and I'd definitely deal with him again.

Latest posts

Back