Cab clone strangeness - low freq. pulsating feedback

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mace

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, Last gig was at a club and a strange thing happened for a second time. I was using the cab clone on the Mark V for the drummer's monitor only (small place). On about the 2nd or 3rd song there was this feedback sound coming out of the PA. It seemed to be happening when I played (mics were muted) so I turned off the Mark V. The feedback was still there. I then unplugged XLR cable from the Cab Clone and the feedback stopped. This exact same thing happened the last time we played at this same venue. I wouldn't have thought to unplug the XLR even after the Mark V was off but I remembered that this happened before. I remember thinking "the amp is off, the feedback can't be from me". But it was!

It is as if some signal is being induced in the Cab Clone either from a very loud bass guitar standing wave (seems not likely) or some kind of weird signal is going into the Cab Clone from the mixer board from the XLR cable.

I've gigged with the cab clone dozens of times, at stupid loud volumes sometimes, and this venue is the only place that this feedback or pulsating resonance has occurred. I'm curious what it could be.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? I do have the audio of the gig and I'll post the feedback sound when I can figure out where to upload it.

Thanks!

I know the thread is old but I might have an answer to that issue.

Recently (before COVID) my Band started recording our rehearsals. The drums are fully miced and the bass player and I are running XLR outs from his Darkglass Alpha Omega 900 and my Mark V 35. He is running custom made 115 and 410 cabs and I am using a traditional recto 412 and a oversized recto 412 placed in opposite corners of the room to create a 'kind of' stereo sound.

All cables were connected to a Tascam 20x20. When listening back to the individual tracks we noticed there was bleed from the kick drum, snare and bass guitar in the guitar tracks. This was suspicious as there were no actual mics used on the guitar. We initially thought the Tascam interface was faulty.

When experimenting a bit more we found out that the guitar input peaked when the kick or bass were playing, even when my amp was turned off. It could only be defeated by disconnecting the cabs from the amp.

The explanation is as follows: A speaker and a microphone are both working on the same physical principle of induction within a coil. So the speakers, in my case 8 12" Vintage30s, were acting as microphones picking up the bass frequencies. Since the CabClone is passive and taps off the speaker output, it got that signal and forwarded it to the desk. Unfortunately, there is no cure for this.

So in your case the specific venue probably has a speaker placement that makes the guitar speakers easily pick up the bass guitar.

Thanks a lot for that info! That could have very well been it in my case in that particular venue. I guess if that happens again the thing would be to move the speaker cab so it isn't getting the resonance from the kick drum and/or bass. I've since purchased the CC IR+ for the Mark V so it likely won't be an issue since that is using IR tech and not passive.

Latest posts

Back