Mark V 25 classic crunch?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CantrellAiC

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a new Mark V 25 user. I love it and it sounds really great, I'm just having a bit of trouble dialling it in to get that classic Mark crunch tone as best demonstrated by JP in the Mark V 25 demo video. The video says it's on ch1 crunch, my tone is not as focused and is just a little more indistinct. That tone seems more dry compared to mine. The heavy palm muting has that classic Mark chunk and percussiveness which mine doesn't as much.

Right around 7:40-8:10 is the tone I have in mind. I'm pairing my Mark V 25 with a Bogner 2x12 OS cab with V30s. For guitar I'm using a Gibson SG faded with 490t in bridge and a Heritage H140 with a SD Custom 5 in the bridge.

I'm not sure if maybe what they are hearing is different to the recorded tone through the mic, but I'd like to get close to that tone. Maybe my cab and guitars are the difference? Ok I'm not John Petrucci either but it's just some chugging there :D

Faded flying v with standard pickups (same bridge as your SG I think) > Straight into V:25 crunch 25 watt > 1x12 ported closed pack does it.

Granted, mine's also got an AT7 in V2 and another in the Phase inverter tube V6, plus tungsols for the other gain positions, but replicated that sound real well with settings as follows:

Gain: Full blast
Treble 4:30-5 o'clock
Mid/Boost: 2 o'clock
Bass: 11 o'clock
Prescence 2:30
Master set to taste

80hz top line
240hz a slide thickness under that
750hz just at bottom line
2200hz same at 240
6600hz like a few hairs above 2200

Im of the opinion that its the cab/c90. Its more focused and detailed and 'drier' as you say. Amazing in a recording situation. Hope this helps.

I've tried those settings, I'm kind of amazed at the different sounds I keep getting from this amp! Those settings sound completely different to what I was trying before. It's really tightened up, but I'm still not quite getting that distinct Mark sound coming out. It's definitely closer but still not there. Rolling back the mid and presence knobs and slightly increasing the 750hz slider has helped a bit. For further reference in the video, JP does some chugging at 9:22 and 9:33 in the video that really demonstrates the sound.

With a Mesa Widebody ported 1x12 it'll then be 1:1, more or less then. IMHO That'd be the remainder of the difference.
I'd seriously consider getting one in if I were you. (Not the most expensive in the world, especially used - Runs great with a 2x12 too)

Have you set your reverb up a little - on Zero this will have a dry tight feeling - I always have a little verb on

Casey

Back