I wish this was an easier choice...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinhedgtr

Reaction score
I'm looking for some opinions on a couple of 1x12 cabinets. Im stuck on deciding between the recto 1x12 (not the mini recto) and the widebody closed back. I just can't find any online demos of the widebody cab.

I would like a 1x12, because the 2x12 is a pain in the *** to transport (heavy) and barely fits in my car. My questions for the widebody cab are
1. Does it need a good amount of space to hear the low end dispersion?
2. Is it pretty easy to mic this cab, does the front port make it more difficult?
3. I hear a lot of different opinions on the C90 speaker, but I'm wondering if the slightly scooped mids in this speaker might be a good thing with the mini Mark V?

I also like the recto 1x12 but I'm wondering if it would have enough low end, or if the widebody would give me more low end in the small room I play in? I love hearing some punch and some thump. I don't use much low end while recording, but I do like to crank some lows when I'm just playing and jamming with my buddies. I do dig my 2x12, but I think its just too much for what I do these days and would like to have that sound in a smaller package. Does the recto 1x12 sound pretty close to the 2x12?

Unfortunately, no one carries Mesa gear in my town so I will need to buy this without hearing them. Just wondering if you all might have any opinions.

A little bit of background on me, I use a Mesa Mark V 25 and I currently have the recto horizontal 2x12. I play mostly metal with some clean parts as well. I use it mainly in a small acoustically treated bedroom (10x11) for recording and just playing at relatively low levels. I do get to crank it once in a while when the wife and kids are out of the house. I also jam with some friends at their house on the weekends, but we don't have a drummer. We just program drums for our songs and play to those through the stereo speakers.

Thanks in advance,
Brian

I find that that the 1x12 wide ported recto cab is excellent for single mic recording at "I have decided to spare the world" levels.
The V30s are better for stage/more volume imo. The horizontal 2x12s are excellent for live and loud.
But the results at low vol are a little muddy compared to the single speaker which seems to handle the job with more precision and articulation and seems creamier and smoother to my ear too....
(Plus you dont get that same VST tone everyone seems to go for now modelled on v30s..)

(Heres some messing about through the WB 1x12 ported - cam mic job here though...)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW8LQvpWFhM
Rough but should answer your question about chug and thump.
Hope this helps.

Hello.

I had the 1x12 widebody closedback and was stupid enough to sell it :oops:

Noticed later on that I hate lugging the recto 2x12 everywhere :/ it was so easy to carry compared to 2x12 and also the tones I was getting out of the 1x12 were fantastic (compared to earlier C90 cabs I had). So maybe later on I’ll get the cab back...

I’ve had the TA 2x12 open back, 1x12 ¾ back, 1x12 thistle and also Mark III combo with C90. From these the widebody was without question the best sounding cab.

Thank you both for the replies Mark and Eevil.

I took a listen to your video Mark and it sounds pretty good! I know you've done the AT7 mod, which may affect the sound of the C90 a little bit, but it sounds like there is plenty of chug in there to me. I was surprised to not find any videos that review this cabinet miced up into an interface. I did find a video where some dude was showing the difference between a V30 vs. C90 in a Mark V combo, but that has an open back and the guy didn't change any settings on the amp between the different speakers. In that video, I thought the V30 sounded better, but again, not a great way compare speakers for a real-world scenario.

Eevil, thanks for your input, that is really helpful to know that you miss the cab (sorry about that though lol). I think your comment has swayed me to the Widebody.

Well, I decided on getting the widebody closed back. I ordered it today, should show up in a few days! :mrgreen: Thanks to both of you, for your help.

The closed back widebody is a good choice! I use this instead of the built in speaker of the 90W combo. I only play at home, what I like about the speaker is the tight low end at low volume.

Latest posts

Back