Mark V as a low volume practice rig

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluzCruz

Reaction score
Just a comment. For at home low volume practice, I put my Mark V in 10 watt mode on all 3 channels and I love it into a single G12-EVH speaker (20 watts) in a Lonestar-23 1x12 cabinet. Mark V goodness without tearing my head off. It's now my main practice rig. When going to 45 or 90W I'll run a single C90 1x12 or one of my 2x12 cabs. But I love that EVH speaker. It's a low power speaker, and usually used in pairs or quads...but perfect for 10W mode with a single.

It is my studio/practice rig. I don't run in 10 watt mode. I run on 90 watt. Turn the channel Master down to just below 9am. then adjust the Output. The amp can operate at very low volume levels.

At home I tend to run VARIAC and 10 W only. I like to think I'm extending the power tube life, but not sure it actually makes a difference. At practice (I drag this thing to practice every week) it is 45 or 90 W full power (mostly).

I personally think the master volume control is great on the Mark V. Can go very low without losing too much at all. Makes a great multi purpose amp for gigging and low level practice. A little dialling to suit for sure but nothing drastic. A friend of mines DSL on the other hand, although very nice cranked, sounds like arse hair at bedroom volumes. Always thought the rectifier didn't do so well at low volumes either.

Well I'm not alone in liking that 10W mode for home practice.

Don't overlook the G12-EVH speaker I mentioned. It is a little bit lower sensitivity which means less volume per watt...that also helps tame the amp and let you turn the amp up and get into the goodness at a lower volume. And it sounds great...I originally meant that as the "secret sauce" in this post. Everyone knows there is a 10W mode but I bet not that many people have played it through that speaker, as Mesa folks tend toward the C90s and V30s as shipped.

Cheers.

I don't bother with 10 watt mode, the master volume is excellent like others have said.
I like the clean at 45 watt and channel 2 MK1 also at 45 watt and channel 3 MK4 at 90 watt EL34s in Veri power mode practice at a low talking level.
( 60db )

Sounds something like this
Dirty
https://soundcloud.com/the-pedal-guy/last-chance-jam-dec
Clean
https://soundcloud.com/the-pedal-guy/clean-em-blues

I don’t particularly enjoy using the V at home in 90W mode. The upper mids are really harsh and spikey.

There may be some prob in my amp as ch 2 does change tonality a lot when channel master is between off and 10:00 also ch 1&3 does this to lesser degree but the sweet spot is between 11:00 to 14:00 in ch1/2 and 9:00-12:00 in ch3. With these channel vols the output level is touchy - almost ElectraDyne touchy. The remedy for too loud and too harsh is to lower the wattage to 10W. At least with Stiletto 4x12 & Recto 2x12.

I hope that I am not hijacking this thread, but I am researching and learning about Mesa Boogie amps, and I live in a small high-rise apartment, so this thread is very interesting to me.

I'm not gigging, and relatively new to the electric guitar (Mexican Telecaster, Vox AC15). My music interests are Rock (classic and alternative), I do like some crunch, but not necessarily a lot of interest in Heavy Metal (think The Stones, The Clash, The Replacements, Bowie, Soundgarden, The Pixies to Leonard Cohen and Tom Waits).

My questions:
-Do all Mark series amps (such as Mark III and Mark IIC+) also work well at low volume practice settings?
-How does the .22 Studio work at low volume levels?
-Are there any other Mesa Boogie (older or current) amps you would suggest for my needs?

Thanks for any insights you provide,
Clark

Latest posts

Back