Load box Mesa V - Silent recording ... using IRs

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dalep

Reaction score
I am not finding a lot here. Perhaps I am not using the right search terms.

I love my MK V, and like to record with it. I usually mic up one of my 2x12's (Emi V12s) and go. However, my family has decided I need a silent recording alternative. I have no issues with it at lower volumes, but they are asking for a complete silence solution. I guess my 3am "inspirations" are not what they want to hear.

I used to use my V25 for this but it was sold as it was a choice between in and my full V. I was thinking I could use one of my Weber Mass units as a load box, and use IRs for the DAW. Perhaps the Mooer Radar for its power amp and cab IRs. It is not going to be the same I know, but perhaps serviceable.

Has anyone had issues, or see issues, with the Mass as a load box?

I am taking this to mean there are no significant issues folks have had so far.

No issues so far from my end. I don't have a Mark V, but I do silent recording with a Quad preamp, DC-5 and Mark IV. All with IRs

The Recording out sounds as you would expect: Acceptable with some creative EQ but generally sub-par. At least the higher gain channels.

With IRs, I'm very happy with the results. I use the Pulse IR loader with free cab IRs from Rosen and others. Recently I picked up a Torpedo Captor from Two-Notes and
started playing around with the Boogies into the DI. It's been working out great in the AM hours.

I would think the Mass would work as well as the other attenuators. I'd like to hear your results. Not that I need another attenuator, but still... :mrgreen:

I haven't had any experience with the Mass but I've recorded using both the Torpedo Reload and Torpedo Captor load boxes with no issues. As long as the load has the right RMS rating which I assume most would. Even so, expect you'd need to crank the master volume in order for that to be a problem.

Mesa just released their own IRs for use with the Twonotes products which sounds killer as well and not the Mass from what I understand. Not sure if they released for any other platforms.

Latest posts

Back