Mark V - 45watt mode dead

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElGuitarist

Reaction score
Hey all,
This problem came up last week.

Using the 45 watt mode, the sound popped/fizzled between the regular guitar signal and a dead static (like a silent radio station). After a minute the signal was fine.
Checking on it a few days later, and I get mostly static, popping in and out of the signal, but never just the signal.
This problem is happening on all channels 1,2 and 3.

10watt and 90watt modes work fine as I can tell, though I'm convinced 10watt is adding static to my guitar signal. Switching between tube and diode modes for the 45watt modes do nothing to help.

Bought my Mark V head in 2011, lightly used, odd gig here and there. Went a couple years without use. I'm yet to replace a single tube, since this is the first time I'm having any problem with the head.

So I'm wondering: am I looking at a dead preamp or poweramp tube? Or is it something more serious (since it seems odd that only 45watt mode is affected).

Thanks, all.

I'm probably wrong about this, as I sometimes tend to mix things up a bit (guess I'm getting old); but I think I read something about the rectifier tube causing similar issues, and although switching to the diode setting would make one think you are removing the tube from the path, it really isn't completely isolated. Maybe someone can confirm that is somewhat correct, or confirm I am way off.

This happened to me a while back and I think was across all three channels but can’t remember exactly since there’s so many settings.

Turned out to be a dead rectifier tube. You can confirm by checking the back of the amp to see if the rectifier tube (left power tube) is glowing? If not glowing your rectifier tube is dead.

Latest posts

Back