6V6 tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnoel64

Reaction score
I found an old thread containing a "master list" of compatible power tubes for the V. In that list, 6V6 tubes were listed as being compatible as long as Variac power was used. I also saw a combination of 6L6 and 6V6 (the V's as the inner pair) that also called for variac power and never using the 10 watt mode.

My question is: Has anyone here tried 6V6 power tubes in their V? Doesn't matter if all 6V6 were used, or if paired with the 6L6 as mentioned above. If so....how did you like the results?

I too was once curious about this, and saw that same thread, but it seems there's not a lot to definitively say. Ultimately the manual doesn't mention it - and given that the Mark IV manual did mention it, it's probably safe to assume that Mesa doesn't intend for the Mark V to run 6V6 tubes. But, the manual has been updated several times over the years, including fairly major things like that EL34's should only be run on the Variac power setting, so who knows...

Good luck with that.... Not sure if you need to use EL34 bias for the 6V6 tube as you do with the TC-50 or TC-100. For some reason, I see red-plating in your future. Hopefully I am wrong on that.

bandit2013 said:
Good luck with that.... Not sure if you need to use EL34 bias for the 6V6 tube as you do with the TC-50 or TC-100. For some reason, I see red-plating in your future. Hopefully I am wrong on that.
This. 6V6s are typically biased around 20mA give or take. Neither 6L6's or EL34s would be biased that cold (normally). I suppose in variac/EL34 mode it might approach usable mA's... but my guess is that it would have those 6V6's running mighty hot. FWIW, JJ6V6S can take a beating. I'd give those a shot.

The TC-50 takes EL34s and 6V6 tubes, with the same bias setting. The bias switch on the TC-50 has two positions: "6L6" and "EL34 6V6". So, the Mark V "EL34" setting should be close. Is it close enough? That's the question.

Beings as the Mark V will eat EL34s on full power, and Mesa updated the manual to state use VARIAC with EL-34s, I'd try Variac only.

I'm not sure what the different watt settings have on the power tubes (class A vs. AB vs. simulclass). I'd swear I remember reading that only the 45W setting could safely be used (two inner power tubes) with this type of set-up. Anyway, my guess is that there is a safe setting for 6V6s in the Mark V, but it is very particular. So, from Mesa's view, they didn't want to make an already complicated amp even more complicated so the official line is "do not use 6V6s".

I was on vacation for a little over a week, so I have yet to give the tubes a shot. Being a TC50 owner as well, my first guess would also have been to use the EL34 bias. The thread I dug up with a "master list" of power tubes you can use with the V is fairly old and said to use the 6L6 bias setting with the variac switch engaged. To be honest, I am a little hesitant to give this a shot, but the tonal possibilities are very tempting.

Hello...as per my observation the manual doesn't mention it - and given that the Mark IV manual did mention it, it's probably safe to assume that Mesa doesn't intend for the Mark V to run 6V6 tubes. But, the manual has been updated several times over the years.

pcb assembly process

You are correct. The old manual on the Mark V also indicated you can run an integrated quad, 6L6 with EL34. I do recall seeing that when I first got the Mark V. Why would they have a bias switch? so the integrated quad is not recommended. That statement has also been removed. I believe they are carry overs from the Mark IV that was missed on the first review of the manual. There may be some confusion based on previous Mark series. Original Mark III indicated you can run the class A circuit with 6L6 tubes as well as EL34. However that has been amended to recommend using the EL34 only due to tube life issues. You can run the integrated quad with the Mark IV too. There may be other sources referencing the errors so refer to the Mesa on-line manual if in question.

conrad79 said:
the manual doesn't mention it - and given that the Mark IV manual did mention it, it's probably safe to assume that Mesa doesn't intend for the Mark V to run 6V6 tubes. But, the manual has been updated several times over the years.

DaveRodda said:
Hello...as per my observation the manual doesn't mention it - and given that the Mark IV manual did mention it, it's probably safe to assume that Mesa doesn't intend for the Mark V to run 6V6 tubes. But, the manual has been updated several times over the years.

That’s a rather astute observation that you made, DaveRodda :roll:

I've chickened out trying the 6V6s, lol! The last thing I want to do is damage my V. But, I will try the amp with my recto vertical 2x12 loaded with WGS Invader 50s. What that did for my TC50 was amazing.

Latest posts

Back