Mark V with Mesa Open back Widebody?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_AJ_

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone had tried this option vs. the closed-back cabinet. I may be getting a new Mark V soon, and generally like the sound of open back cabinets, but the closed back seems like the standard option for a Mark V. I'm wondering how different the sound would be, what the Mark V sounds like with the open back, and what I would potentially lose by not going with the closed back. If anybody has hands-on experience, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

I'm no cab expert but i would assume the reason the closed back cab is the most popular with Mark V owners is that they tend to be used for heavier type tones. And closed back cabs lend themselves well to that. However my combo, obviously open back, sounds incredible for clean, tweed and crunch type tones. I do prefer the closed back 2 x 12 vert for heavier tones and still love it for everything else too so that's what i mostly use. What type of music will you be using your Mark V for? An open back or even a half back might be better for you. Best advice i could give would be to try out a few different options in a store, different brands, speakers, 1 x 12, 2 x 12, 4 x 12... No one can tell you what you will prefer other than your own ears.

Wayno said:
I'm no cab expert but i would assume the reason the closed back cab is the most popular with Mark V owners is that they tend to be used for heavier type tones. And closed back cabs lend themselves well to that. However my combo, obviously open back, sounds incredible for clean, tweed and crunch type tones. I do prefer the closed back 2 x 12 vert for heavier tones and still love it for everything else too so that's what i mostly use. What type of music will you be using your Mark V for? An open back or even a half back might be better for you. Best advice i could give would be to try out a few different options in a store, different brands, speakers, 1 x 12, 2 x 12, 4 x 12... No one can tell you what you will prefer other than your own ears.

Seconded.

There is more to consider than you think. The Closed back cabinet does have a tighter sound. But... something that came up as I was gigging every weekend, the closed back cabinet directs your sound to the front. The front only. So think for a minute. Most clubs/bars the drummer is against or close to the back wall of the stage. Sometimes he is even in a corner. Your speaker cabinets are also not very far from the back wall or in a corner stage the cabinets are actually even with or slightly in front of the drummer. Do you see a problem? With an open back cabinet sound does go out of the back of your cabinet. Sound that can allow your drummer to hear you (hit all those sour notes...LOL). The open back cabinets help fill the stage and give your drummer and your bass player some guitar.

The deal is this happened to me. The drummer told me after the first gig with my Mark V and two 2X12 vertical closed back cabinets, He said "I cannot hear you". So from then on I had to insure I positioned a cabinet close enough to the drummer or he was far enough out front that he could hear me. Something that was never an issue when I used an open back combo amp.

Just a little information to assist you in your decision.

As for tone I like closed back. The mid range and high end seem to be easier to dial in with closed back cabinets. I don't like much bass in my tone. I let the bass player take care of the low end of the sound spectrum.

I have the widebody open back 112 cab. The MC90 sounds great. Actually it was a shame to remove it as I had plans to install and EV speaker in it. There is more push for the widebody closed back cabinet as it is ported to the front. Mesa claims the closed back widebody cab has more full tone characteristics that are much better than the Thiele cab they offer. Not sure this is true or not.

Also, my Mark V was converted over from a head to a combo. For the clean channel, the sound is more open with the open back format. Also have an EV in the Mark V and when paired up with the widedbody open back cab I had as much power as the OS Recto 412 running two EV speakers. Vertical 212 cab is also amazing but the cleans will be different through that cab vs open back.

If you have a Mark C combo then you would not be asking the question, instead you would be wondering how a closed back cab would sound. I just want to make a point on the widebody cabs, if you stack a combo on top of the 112 widebody, be prepared for tip over as the footprint of the cab is a bit narrow. On a stage or hardwood or flat surface floor not a probelm, on carpet it could be a problem. Adding an extension cab will allow you to spread it out with a long speaker cable. Also you can basically close the open portion of the cab with a foam block or have a panel made to seal up the top part of the cab. That would provide both open or closed back. I was thinking on getting a back for the closed back cab so I could use either panel.

I gig with a Mark V combo on top of a lonestar 410. I also have a roadking 412 cabinet. As stated before, the open back cabs have more stage presence. The closed back cabs do seem a little better at high gain but are very directional. I currently play rhythm and lead in a country/southern rock band and therefore not a big metal player. I have the mark set up for clean, mid-gain and high gain. I dial the presence back a bit to help with the open cabs. I do like the roadking 412 tone with both cabinets a little bit more than the combo 410 setup. Next year I'm considering getting a head shell for the mark and use the 412. or another mark lol or possibly a slave amp. good luck

Thanks for the answers. I tried out both options and decided to go for the closed back. With a high gain amp, I think you do need the closed back, or the heavier sounds kind of fall apart.

I’ve got the 112 combo with the Celestion C90. I tried it through my Marshall 4x12, closed back with Celestion G12T-75s. It sounds terrible! Really bright, scooped and fizzy. The combo on its own sounds much better to my ears.

Should have said I was talking about the Mark V head as opposed to the combo. Mesa sells two 1x12 cabinets with C90s, one open and one closed.

I realize the op has already purchased a cab, I'll just through in my experience for the sake of anyone finding it useful. I have the Mark V (90) head. I sold a Mark IV widebody combo to get it. When I was gigging the Mark IV, I wanted an additional 1x12 cab to pair it with. I found a Laney IRT, oversized, closed back 1x12 has nearly the exact dimensions. So, I bought it, pulled the speaker, and put in an Eminence. This is the cab I had to play with when I got the Mark V. I decided one was not enough, so I ordered another, changed the speaker, again adding an Eminence, only this time; I left the back off, and transferred the jack plate to the upper corner of the cab. So, I have both 1x12's, in a sort of mini- stack ( most of the time, as I could split them side to side on stage). This gives me the best of both worlds - a tight, focused sound, and an open, more "airy" sound.

Latest posts

Back