Mark v no sound help!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

espexp

Reaction score
I am getting no sound at all from my mark v head
Amp turns on, all tubes light up as normal
Turn on from standby and nothing happens
Replaced v1 and v7. Still nothing
Foot switch cycles through all functions and all lights function on the amp
Checked power tubes after operating for five minutes, 3 of the 4 are hot, the far right tube just warm

This all started when I turned the amp on to check it after I had a lightning strike destroy 3 TVs and a computer in my house. Everything plugged into the same circuit as the amp are working fine.

Not sure what else to check
Any help would be appreciated!

espexp said:
I am getting no sound at all from my mark v head
Amp turns on, all tubes light up as normal
Turn on from standby and nothing happens
Replaced v1 and v7. Still nothing
Foot switch cycles through all functions and all lights function on the amp
Checked power tubes after operating for five minutes, 3 of the 4 are hot, the far right tube just warm

This all started when I turned the amp on to check it after I had a lightning strike destroy 3 TVs and a computer in my house. Everything plugged into the same circuit as the amp are working fine.

Not sure what else to check
Any help would be appreciated!

Some things to try, but I'm no expert. Although no mention was made, I'm sure you tried a different speaker cable.

Did you try all power modes (10W, 45W, 90)? Also different recitifer settings (so you aren't using diode on all power levels for example). The right outside tube isn't used in 45 W mode. You could try replacing all power tubes, or V1 (all channels use V1). I'm outta ideas..

Recto tube gone? (Probably would still work in 90w mode but not maybe in the other power modes, if so)

Also: Did you check the fuse in the amp itself?
(I've had a similar symptoms in an instance where the fuse had gone, was fine when replaced).
It doesn't seem to have been mentioned on your list, also...so unless you've checked it already, hope it works for you.

Markageddon said:
Recto tube gone? (Probably would still work in 90w mode but not maybe in the other power modes, if so)

(I've had a similar symptoms in an instance where the fuse had gone, was fine when replaced).
It doesn't seem to have been mentioned on your list, also...so unless you've checked it already, hope it works for you.

Is there another fuse inside the amp? other than the main fuse behind the amp?

espexp said:
Markageddon said:

Is there another fuse inside the amp? other than the main fuse behind the amp?

Nah just talking about the one in the back of the amp, rather than in the power cable plug for it.

Fuse is fine and the amp powers up as normal. Just no sound at all. As if the amp is in standby.
Have tried all power modes, etc.

If I power down without putting back in standby I get a small pop through the speakers, otherwise there is no sound at all from the speakers. Dead silence.

How about replacing the rest of the preamp tubes? If you do so and still nothing, then I'd be thinking it may be more like resistors or something board mounted had gone..

This sounds like either the rectifier tube is bad, try pulling it because even if its not selected, if its bad it will pull the diode rectification down too.

Or it could be a similar issue to what i had. Although mine was sell inflicted, a power surge could have fried one of the muting JFETS. Keeping the amp in a muted state.

Any techs nearby?

I am going to try pulling the rectifier tube. If that doesn’t work, I’ll be dropping it off at the local Mesa Dealer.

I’ll be sure to follow up here with the results. Thanks

espexp said:
I am going to try pulling the rectifier tube. If that doesn’t work, I’ll be dropping it off at the local Mesa Dealer.

I’ll be sure to follow up here with the results. Thanks

Sorry for being mr. Obvious but what about the mute pull-switch in front panel...?

And different speaker outputs? 4ohm upper/lower, 8ohm upper/lower? Pops from changing the channel wattages to 10w? Fx-loop assign switch/fx loop patch cable? Relays click when using the mute?

I just got a brand new Mark V. I've had it less than a week. I'm having a similar problem, except there was no storm here. What I discovered is that if I flip the switch to 10W, then back up to 45W, it sometimes comes on for a little while. It works in 90, 45 and 10 for a little while, then the sound goes out again while playing. There are slight crackles and pops in both directions. It works the same way on all three channels.

I'm still under the 30 day return period, so I'm either going to get a new replacement, or get a refund and buy another brand. When you spend $2500+ on a brand new amp, this kind of thing is not supposed to happen. I may give them one more chance on a replacement, but if I have another problem, I'm never buying Mesa again. This is totally unacceptable.

Its not the amp, if a tube has gone out or is going out.

(Worth checking the Recto tube, and if you're set to tube rectification mode, switch to diode and see if that affects difference. Certain settings on power use diode or tube mandatorily.)

But getting the store to check it isn't a bad idea beyond that.

Update. I just got a replacement amp overnight from Sweetwater (thumbs up to them for great customer service), and the problem is still there. Meaning it is the cabinet...a Mesa 90W widebody cabinet with one C90. I'd never turned the volume up past 12 o'clock, so I didn't think it was possible I'd blown it. And it isn't distorting like a blown speaker, it's cutting in and out. I don't know enough about how it works to figure out what the issue could be, but it has to be the cabinet. I've tried more than one speaker cable, so it isn't the cable.

After several months I finally got my mark v back! It had to be sent back to Mesa to be fixed. The board had to be removed and several components replaced. The final bill was $260.00. That included new power tubes and shipping to and from upstate New York. I was sure the cost was going to be much more than that.

Very happy to have my Mark V back and working great!

Kudos to Mesa and Parkway Music.

Wow! With shipping and everything, that sounds like a bargain. Great to hear it is working again. Must have been a simple fix for an expert tech, me thinks.

Latest posts

Back