Tweed Heaven!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnoel64

Reaction score
Last year, I bought a used (2009) Mark V. I bought the amp because of the enormous Saturation Mod thread.

Last Sunday, my 50s and 60s band played a rather large outdoor gig. Normally, I just roll with my TC50, but decided I wanted to use my V for this particular gig. I used an SSS Strat with Fender's Hot Noiseless pickups that is also wired with a blender pot in the bottom tone control. I paired the head with a single 12" cab loaded with a Celestion Redback.

Prior to the gig, I sat down with the amp and cab to determine which clean mode I would use. Because of the genre, I deliberately chose Tweed mode on channel 1. At the testing volume level, I was pleased enough and didn't really play more than maybe 30 minutes.

At the gig, I had the most glorious tone I have ever had in that band. The feel was amazing. The bottom end was so rich and full, I could feel it against my legs. I had the gain pushed right up to the edge of breakup, and then backed it down slightly, so that even with my EP booster, it didn't really break up.

So, for all my future gigs in that band, the V will just HAVE to be my amp of choice, regardless of venue size. Totally blown away, and all in the best ways possible!

In Tweed mode, I used full power, bold switch engaged, EQ off, gain at 9 o'clock, channel master at noon, bass at 9 o'clock, mid just under 9 o'clock, treble about 10 o'clock, presence just under 9 o'clock, and output at noon. That's all assuming my knobs didn't get knocked around moving the head.

I wish Tweed was on channel2 just so I could switch between Fat and Tweed via the footswitch.

I've had many more gigs with the same setup this summer. The past 2 gigs we had sound reinforcement supplied for us and, each time, the sound guys have approached me afterwards to compliment my tone. Both were gushing with praise, and while I wanted to just say, "Yeah, I know, right?" I was much more humble. One gig was an indoor theater and the most recent one was outside. What's even more impressive to me is that I've been rolling with an external Cab Clone set to vintage cab going direct into the PA. I have yet to hear what the mains sound like, but my stage tone is what has kept me using this setup. I have also boosted the gain up to about 11:00 and it got even better, adding just a hair of bite. I can't imagine being any happier with my tone!

Back