OD pedals for mkv90 channel 3

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steamy_linguini

Reaction score
title says it all.
Im sure that there are plenty of these conversations on here but im new to this board and new to the mark v too.

i recently bought a mark v90, and so far im in love! but im still kind of newish to the whole tube amp game (ive been using an axe fx for a while now).
in my axe fx and from most places that you read, most people talk about using an OD pedal in the front end to push the amp more, and getting an overall "tighter" tone. so i went out and tried a few pedals at the store, on a mkv35 combo at room level and settled on the Walrus audio Voyager OD. so i bought and went home. after messing around with it on my amp i realized that i dont really care for it to much. It does add "tightness" to my tone but i feel like i lost some clarity, my single notes are less pronounced and seem like they get kind of lost in the gain.

im sure plenty of people went through this when they first started out. should i try a new pedal? maybe go for the standard tube screamer or just leave the amp alone and not use any ODs?

I use a combo of the preset GEQ and the boost to give me different tones on channel 3.
I also have a couple of pedals ( that I make ) to add some spice on occasion ( http://www.tonalinsanity.com )
With the MKV I use the Aurora Borealis and a Matterhorn or a combo of both :)

Watch how much gain you are using from the pedal. Often, using an overdrive in front to tighten things up, or as a clean boost, not much gain is used from the pedal. So, your settings on the pedal might be: gain near zero, volume or level all the way up (or as needed), and tone control(s) to taste. If you are playing at really low volume, you may need to increase the amp's volume level to provide a bit of headroom. The clarity will come with that.

royslead said:
Watch how much gain you are using from the pedal. Often, using an overdrive in front to tighten things up, or as a clean boost, not much gain is used from the pedal. So, your settings on the pedal might be: gain near zero, volume or level all the way up (or as needed), and tone control(s) to taste. If you are playing at really low volume, you may need to increase the amp's volume level to provide a bit of headroom. The clarity will come with that.

Yeah I know about leaning back on the gain and trying more on the tone and volume settings but where I think my troubles were coming from were from having it on 10 watts and not playing it loud enough, not giving myself any headroom which caused me to lose clarity. I'm going to bring the pedal to practice this weekend and try it on 45watts and see how it sounds! Thanks!

Yeah, what others have said. Adjust your gain settings on the pedal or even on the amp. It is a balancing act at times depending on the product in use. Hope things work out for you..

What I have found that really works well was the Flux drive or the Grid Slammer. When using it with a moderate gain setting on the amp, the gain settings on the pedals need to be set conservatively. The Flux drive will add compression, the Grid Slammer will do the same but not as dramatic. I have tried other OD pedals before, I actually like the Grid Slammer and have used it with the Mark V and JP-2C but with subtle settings to prevent that loss of note definition. Sure you can set the gain higher but you will loose some details.

Back