Boss MS-3 - anyone use it with Mark V?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuna141

Reaction score
I've been playing without effects the last few years, but have been thinking about adding some basic effects for a few songs. But I don't want to lug my G-Major/GCX Switcher/midi pedal rack to gigs, so am thinking about a basic, but good quality multi-effects pedal. The Boss MS-3 caught my eye. I'm essentially looking for a good delay, some reverb capability, maybe some compression and flange/chorus type of modulation effect. A built-in tuner would be nice too - the Boss has that.

Has anyone used the MS-3 with your Mesa Mark V or any other Mark series amp? What are your thoughts? Any other multi-effects suggestions?

Thanks.

I think the MS3 is just a switcher. It doesn’t actually produce the effects. For that, the ME-80 or something might work though I have never tried it.

Thanks for the reply. The Boss ES-5 + ES-8 are switchers. Both ES & MS pedals look similar in design, but are actually a different. The MS-3 has some limited switching capabilities and loops like the ES, but it also has multiple effects built-in.

Yes. I see now... Thanks for pointing it out. I haven’t tried it (of course) but it looks nice and Boss is sure to be good quality.

I actually purchased an MS-3 a few weeks ago. The effects are perfect for my needs, and I am not using any of the loops. I wanted a pedal based multi-effects unit for a few simple effects and didn't want to drag a rack to gigs like I had in the past. I primarily use the delays, phaser, wah, and compressor which are nice. The distortion/fuzzes/OD's are decent, but I never use them and prefer to use the amp's.

I purchased the Boss dual expression pedal too and it works well and primarily use it for a wah with the MS-3. The pedal defaults as a volume on most of the factory patches.

I am running the MS-3 in the Mark V loop and am not using the 4CM. I found that for the effects I use, it didn't make enough difference tonewise and wanted to eliminate the hassle of the additional cables and simplify the programming.

I originally had hopes of using the MS-3 in place of the Mark V footswitch, but you can only switch 3 functions. The MS-3 switches all three channels in Mark V fine. But I didn't want to give up the EQ and Solo functions, so I continue to use the Mesa footswitch too.

I recommend the MS-3, especially if you want to simplify your pedalboard and want to utilize the loops. I just wanted a basic pedal with decent effects and a tuner, and the MS-3 works great for my needs too. It's very versatile. Since I don't use the effect loops in the MS-3, I wish I was able to program them as switches to give me two more footswitchable functions for the Mark V, which I'd use for the EQ and Solo functions, so I could leave the amp's footswitch at home.

I use one with my MarkV. I connect it with 4 cable method. Works great. The only drawback is a slight delay
when changing patches. The effect are really good and you can arrange the order of the effects pretty much the
way you want to.

Latest posts

Back